Play time

Hi,

I read about several peolple playing different high level characters
and completing the game several times.

I actually completed D2 LOD a couple of time at the basic level but
this took me a huge amount of time.

So I start thinking to be very slow in progressing. Therefore here is
my question, can you give me some approximate time spent by a good B2
player to complete acts or the whole game?
I would like to benchmark my (ppor) performance against the good ones
to see what is wrong.

Bye & tks

Luca

"Luca" <noname@nowere.net> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I read about several peolple playing different high level characters
> and completing the game several times.
>
> I actually completed D2 LOD a couple of time at the basic level but
> this took me a huge amount of time.
>
> So I start thinking to be very slow in progressing. Therefore here is
> my question, can you give me some approximate time spent by a good B2
> player to complete acts or the whole game?
> I would like to benchmark my (ppor) performance against the good ones
> to see what is wrong.

I cant really speak for anyone else but this is generally my time-frame on
new character for SC-Ladder:

Day-1: Design new character and rush them Normal, NM & Hell... grab
hellforges in NM/Hell incase I cant be bothered to level them later. This
leaves them in Act5-Hell (without Baal) at about lvl-6.

Day-2: Level my "noob" to about lvl-25 and complain about how hard it is to
get XP this low level while refusing to level "properly" by actually playing
the game with it.

Day-3: Level my noob from lvl-25 to high 70's / low 80's and workout what I
items I want on it.

Day-4: Give some items to the "noob" which is now mid 80's in level.

Day-5: Rest

Day-6: Rest

Day-7: Delete the noob as I cant be bothered to play it.

Day-8: Rest

Day-9: Wish I hadn't deleted it while wearing the good gear and/or wish I
had the skills I put on it to help me with something else.

Day-10: Rest :¬P

--
Trammel is a member of DWC (http://dwc.no-ip.org)
(Please reply to group only)

Trammel wrote:
> "Luca" <noname@nowere.net> wrote in message
>
>>Hi,
>>
>>I read about several peolple playing different high level characters
>>and completing the game several times.
>>
>>I actually completed D2 LOD a couple of time at the basic level but
>>this took me a huge amount of time.
>>
>>So I start thinking to be very slow in progressing. Therefore here is
>>my question, can you give me some approximate time spent by a good B2
>>player to complete acts or the whole game?
>>I would like to benchmark my (ppor) performance against the good ones
>>to see what is wrong.
>

> I cant really speak for anyone else but this is generally my time-frame on
> new character for SC-Ladder:
>
> Day-1: Design new character and rush them Normal, NM & Hell... grab
> hellforges in NM/Hell incase I cant be bothered to level them later. This
> leaves them in Act5-Hell (without Baal) at about lvl-6.
>
> Day-2: Level my "noob" to about lvl-25 and complain about how hard it is to
> get XP this low level while refusing to level "properly" by actually playing
> the game with it.
>
> Day-3: Level my noob from lvl-25 to high 70's / low 80's and workout what I
> items I want on it.
>
> Day-4: Give some items to the "noob" which is now mid 80's in level.
>
> Day-5: Rest
>
> Day-6: Rest
>
> Day-7: Delete the noob as I cant be bothered to play it.
>
> Day-8: Rest
>
> Day-9: Wish I hadn't deleted it while wearing the good gear and/or wish I
> had the skills I put on it to help me with something else.
>
> Day-10: Rest :¬P

Why not just start the "noob" out at lvl 95 by using the "-act5"?

On Mon, 04 Jul 2005 22:51:25 GMT, Luca <noname@nowere.net> wrote:

>I actually completed D2 LOD a couple of time at the basic level but
>this took me a huge amount of time.

Do you mean Single Player or Multiplayer on Bnet? Hardcore or soft?
MP is certainly much faster than SP, and SC faster than HC. But in
any event, the process is supposed to be enjoyable for itself. If you
aren't enjoying the journey, why bother? It's just electrons.

>So I start thinking to be very slow in progressing. Therefore here is
>my question, can you give me some approximate time spent by a good B2
>player to complete acts or the whole game?

I don't know if many would call me a good player, but it takes me
several hours to finish each act in HC SP. To finish Normal
difficulty would take me perhaps 30 hours, or 50 if I am playing
ironman (clearing all areas with no help from NPCs). Nightmare SP HC
would take about 40 hours, and I haven't yet completed it in ironman.
Hell difficulty takes me at least 50 hours, if I can do it at all. It
is not a trivial exercise to complete Hell difficulty in SP HC, in
_any_ amount of time.

By comparison, the recent ironman victory (clearing all areas in all
three difficulties) by the Rustics team on the Amazon Basin took 81
hours spread over three months (almost none of that time was spent in
town, though, and they had an enchantress, who sped things up a lot).

>I would like to benchmark my (ppor) performance against the good ones
>to see what is wrong.

Some people seem to get stuck because of weak strategy or tactics.
Maybe if you tell us what you have done, what classes and builds you
have tried, and what version of the game you are using, we can help
you out.

-- Roy L

"sidekick" <sidekick39spam_bust@adelphia.net> wrote in message
> Trammel wrote:

[snip]
> > I cant really speak for anyone else but this is generally my time-frame
on
> > new character for SC-Ladder:

[snip]
> Why not just start the "noob" out at lvl 95 by using the "-act5"?

Huh?!?!!???

Trammel wrote:
> "sidekick" <sidekick39spam_bust@adelphia.net> wrote in message
>
>>Trammel wrote:
>

> [snip]
>
>>>I cant really speak for anyone else but this is generally my time-frame
>
> on
>
>>>new character for SC-Ladder:
>

> [snip]
>
>>Why not just start the "noob" out at lvl 95 by using the "-act5"?
>

> Huh?!?!!???

By "Huh?" I suppose you dont know about the -act5 trick? Or am i wrong
about starting out at lvl 95? I only tried it a couple of times, so I
could be mistaken. If you dont know about it....if I remember
correctly, you change the target line for the shortcut by adding "-act5"
to the end of the target line. The next char you make will be in act 5
at level 95 with all stat and skill points unused. Also no waypoints
will have been found. So basicly you will need to return to act1 and
play the game out. However you will have mega points to assign anyway
you want to. Its a good tool for trying out different builds.

I think it was sidekick <sidekick39spam_bust@adelphia.net> that wrote
something like...

>Trammel wrote:
>> "sidekick" <sidekick39spam_bust@adelphia.net> wrote in message
>>
>>>Trammel wrote:
>>

>> [snip]

>> on

>> [snip]
>>
>>>Why not just start the "noob" out at lvl 95 by using the "-act5"?
>>

>> Huh?!?!!???
>>

>By "Huh?" I suppose you dont know about the -act5 trick? Or am i wrong
>about starting out at lvl 95? I only tried it a couple of times, so I
>could be mistaken. If you dont know about it....if I remember
>correctly, you change the target line for the shortcut by adding "-act5"
>to the end of the target line. The next char you make will be in act 5
>at level 95 with all stat and skill points unused. Also no waypoints
>will have been found. So basicly you will need to return to act1 and
>play the game out. However you will have mega points to assign anyway
>you want to. Its a good tool for trying out different builds.

Which mod have you been playing?
Normally it only puts you at level 33.

Ashen Shugar
The moon by day, and the sun by night.
Blind woman, deaf man, jackdaw fool.
Let the Lord of Chaos rule!

Ashen Shugar wrote:
> I think it was sidekick <sidekick39spam_bust@adelphia.net> that wrote
> something like...
>

>>Trammel wrote:
>>
>>>"sidekick" <sidekick39spam_bust@adelphia.net> wrote in message

>>>[snip]

>>>on

>>>[snip]

>>>Huh?!?!!???
>>>

>>By "Huh?" I suppose you dont know about the -act5 trick? Or am i wrong
>>about starting out at lvl 95? I only tried it a couple of times, so I
>>could be mistaken. If you dont know about it....if I remember
>>correctly, you change the target line for the shortcut by adding "-act5"
>>to the end of the target line. The next char you make will be in act 5
>>at level 95 with all stat and skill points unused. Also no waypoints
>>will have been found. So basicly you will need to return to act1 and
>>play the game out. However you will have mega points to assign anyway
>>you want to. Its a good tool for trying out different builds.
>

> Which mod have you been playing?
> Normally it only puts you at level 33.
>
> Ashen Shugar
As I said, it has been a long time since tried it.
I guess I was wrong about the level. The last time i tried it was in
the Chaos Empire mod. But I wont swear to what level it starts you out on.

In article <42ca8f0a@news.orcon.net.nz>,
~misfit~ <misfit61nz@yahoot.co.nz> wrote:
>Ashen Shugar wrote:

>I thought it was level 35 and then only in single player, which is why
>Trammel followed up his "Huh?" post with a post quoting where he mentioned
>SC ladder.
>
>I don't think this trick works on the realms.

No, this _CHEAT_ does not work on the realms. Luckily. If you want to
level a character up, do it the 'hard' way. Not that reaching the end of
normal is such a big deal....

I actually find playing Normal, untwinked, a lot of fun: you make do with
the stuff you find, and any rare, unique or even magic item that drops
could be an improvement. It's during NM that using just self-found stuff
gets a bit tedious (but also an extra challenge), and I oftentimes try to
decide for my self whether I continue untwinked (for the challenge) or
start twinking (because it's just a lot of fun to finally be able to use
that nice unique/set item you have stashed away for this character)...

But simply skipping Acts I to IV in Normal by using a command-line switch:
that's plain and simple cheating.

Regards,

Patrick.

On Wed, 6 Jul 2005 12:02:27 +1200, "~misfit~" <misfit61nz@yahoot.co.nz>
wrote:

>> Patrick Vervoorn wrote:

>> > No, this _CHEAT_ does not work on the realms. Luckily. If you want to
>> > level a character up, do it the 'hard' way. Not that reaching the end
>> > of normal is such a big deal....
>> >
>> > I actually find playing Normal, untwinked, a lot of fun: you make do
>> > with the stuff you find, and any rare, unique or even magic item that
>> > drops could be an improvement. It's during NM that using just
>> > self-found stuff gets a bit tedious (but also an extra challenge),
>> > and I oftentimes try to decide for my self whether I continue
>> > untwinked (for the challenge) or start twinking (because it's just a
>> > lot of fun to finally be able to use that nice unique/set item you
>> > have stashed away for this character)...
>> >
>> > But simply skipping Acts I to IV in Normal by using a command-line
>> > switch: that's plain and simple cheating.
>>
>> Settle Patrick!
>>
>> I see your point and have never used this _FEATURE_ before but if it's coded
>> into the game how can it be a cheat? Maphack is a cheat, as are any of the
>> bots out there. However something as simple as a starting-switch has to have
>> been put there buy the game's producers, making it a part of the game
>> whether you like it or not.

It was not only put there by the game maker, said game maker clearly
told us consumers about it!

Indeed, settle!

"Brian Brunner" <brian.brunner@verizon.net> wrote in message
> On Wed, 6 Jul 2005 12:02:27 +1200, "~misfit~" <misfit61nz@yahoot.co.nz>
> wrote:

> >> Settle Patrick!
> >>
> >> I see your point and have never used this _FEATURE_ before but if it's
coded
> >> into the game how can it be a cheat? Maphack is a cheat, as are any of
the
> >> bots out there. However something as simple as a starting-switch has to
have
> >> been put there buy the game's producers, making it a part of the game
> >> whether you like it or not.
>
> It was not only put there by the game maker, said game maker clearly
> told us consumers about it!
>
> Indeed, settle!

"Blah unlimited" on the PSX has a cheat consisting of
Up>Down>Up>Down>Left>Left>X>Y>Y
....it was programmed into the game as a cheat for people that didnt wanna
play right...

Therefore its both a cheat & a game feature (for those that dont wanna play
right ;¬)

However... the point is mute as I said Ladder-SC... which cant use that
switch anyways ;¬)

--

Trammel wrote:
> "Brian Brunner" <brian.brunner@verizon.net> wrote in message

> coded

> the

> have

>>It was not only put there by the game maker, said game maker clearly
>>told us consumers about it!
>>
>>Indeed, settle!
>

> "Blah unlimited" on the PSX has a cheat consisting of
> Up>Down>Up>Down>Left>Left>X>Y>Y
> ...it was programmed into the game as a cheat for people that didnt wanna
> play right...
>
> Therefore its both a cheat & a game feature (for those that dont wanna play
> right ;¬)
>
> However... the point is mute as I said Ladder-SC... which cant use that
> switch anyways ;¬)

maphack should have been part of the game;-)

In article <42cb2004$1@news.orcon.net.nz>,
~misfit~ <misfit61nz@yahoot.co.nz> wrote:
>Patrick Vervoorn wrote:

>> But simply skipping Acts I to IV in Normal by using a command-line
>> switch: that's plain and simple cheating.
>
>Settle Patrick!
>
>I see your point and have never used this _FEATURE_ before but if it's coded
>into the game how can it be a cheat? Maphack is a cheat, as are any of the
>bots out there. However something as simple as a starting-switch has to have
>been put there buy the game's producers, making it a part of the game
>whether you like it or not.

Of course, and what anyone does in SP is their choice entirely. Still, I'm
happy it does not exist on the realms, because that would add a whole new
contingent of clueless player who've never 'really' played the game. The
'Normal' part of the game is there for a reason also.

(Not that there are not already enough of these people, whose only
enjoyment in D2 seems to be doing endless Baal runs, running some kind of
quick-pick-up Bot so they can grab any goodies that drop the millisecond
they hit the ground...)

As for it being a part of the game: almost any game nowadays has some kind
of way to enable a console, and allowing you to type in commands there
which cause all kinds of effects, ranging from subtly tweaking the game,
upto making the main character invincible/skip parts of the game/etc. I
still consider the use of those cheating, despite their 'built-in' nature.

Regards,

Patrick.

Patrick Vervoorn held her like they did by the lake on Naboo, while posting
4214b$42cb86b8$82a1d3bf$31164@news2.tudelft.nl to this Interweb chatroom:

> In article <42cb2004$1@news.orcon.net.nz>,
> ~misfit~ <misfit61nz@yahoot.co.nz> wrote:
>> Patrick Vervoorn wrote:
>
>>> But simply skipping Acts I to IV in Normal by using a command-line
>>> switch: that's plain and simple cheating.
>>
>> Settle Patrick!
>>
>> I see your point and have never used this _FEATURE_ before but if
>> it's coded into the game how can it be a cheat? Maphack is a cheat,
>> as are any of the bots out there. However something as simple as a
>> starting-switch has to have been put there buy the game's producers,
>> making it a part of the game whether you like it or not.
>
> Of course, and what anyone does in SP is their choice entirely.
> Still, I'm happy it does not exist on the realms, because that would
> add a whole new contingent of clueless player who've never 'really'
> played the game. The 'Normal' part of the game is there for a reason
> also.

Yeah, for new players. I've mentioned before that the difficulty jump from
a5 NM to a1 Hell is insane. There is almost no reason for an established
player to go through Normal, and Nightmare is only slightly more useful.
Almost ANY build can get to NM Baal with no trouble. Even my Holy Fire
pally.

> (Not that there are not already enough of these people, whose only
> enjoyment in D2 seems to be doing endless Baal runs, running some
> kind of quick-pick-up Bot so they can grab any goodies that drop the
> millisecond they hit the ground...)

Which is why I don't play pubbies...

On Wed, 06 Jul 2005 00:27:17 -0400, sidekick
<sidekick39spam_bust@adelphia.net> wrote:

>> maphack should have been part of the game;-)

I agree emphatically.

The CE mod incorporates a few maphack features, although they're DEATH
on MENTIONING that horrible hack...

On Thu, 07 Jul 2005, "Chris Lansdell" wrote:

>> Patrick Vervoorn

>> > (Not that there are not already enough of these people, whose only
>> > enjoyment in D2 seems to be doing endless Baal runs, running some
>> > kind of quick-pick-up Bot so they can grab any goodies that drop the
>> > millisecond they hit the ground...)
>> >
>> Which is why I don't play pubbies...

Try the CE Mod and world... it's opposite all that...

ONE PK in the 4 months I've been in the group, and the PKer got
deleted/banned immediately.

People just give things, there's no *need* for a grab-bot (besides the
fact that they basically don't work with the mod).

Long ago, in the world without shrimp, Luca <noname@nowere.net>, supreme ruler
of bunnies, hopped and flopped and said:

>Hi,
>
>I read about several peolple playing different high level characters
>and completing the game several times.

More than several, in a lot of cases. More like dozens of times.

>I actually completed D2 LOD a couple of time at the basic level but
>this took me a huge amount of time.

Yes, it can do, especially when learning the ropes and playing solo.

>So I start thinking to be very slow in progressing. Therefore here is
>my question, can you give me some approximate time spent by a good B2
>player to complete acts or the whole game?
>I would like to benchmark my (ppor) performance against the good ones
>to see what is wrong.

Assuming we're talking about running through the game without assistance from
other characters, be it items, waypoints, enchants or what heve you, then
10-20 hours per difficulty level is fairly normal. However, this will vary
greatly depending on the nature of the character itself - the standard
powerful spell casting builds (e.g. most standard sorceresses, trappers,
necromancers, etc) generally advance far faster than, say, a concentrate
barbarian.

On the other hand, a fully twinked up "power build" can run itself through
each difficulty in not much over 5-7 hours apiece. And in the area of
multiplayer, with access to good gear and with luck finding rush/the right
questing games, one can advance a character even faster than that.

--
"My army shall destroy y- AHHHHHHHHH!"

sliver

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2005

"Stephen van Ham" <svanham@xtra.co.nz> wrote in message
> Long ago, in the world without shrimp, Luca <noname@nowere.net>, supreme
> ruler
> of bunnies, hopped and flopped and said:
>
>>Hi,
>>
>>I read about several peolple playing different high level characters
>>and completing the game several times.
>
> More than several, in a lot of cases. More like dozens of times.
>
>>I actually completed D2 LOD a couple of time at the basic level but
>>this took me a huge amount of time.
>
> Yes, it can do, especially when learning the ropes and playing solo.
>
>>So I start thinking to be very slow in progressing. Therefore here is
>>my question, can you give me some approximate time spent by a good B2
>>player to complete acts or the whole game?
>>I would like to benchmark my (ppor) performance against the good ones
>>to see what is wrong.
>
> Assuming we're talking about running through the game without assistance
> from
> other characters, be it items, waypoints, enchants or what heve you, then
> 10-20 hours per difficulty level is fairly normal. However, this will
> vary
> greatly depending on the nature of the character itself - the standard
> powerful spell casting builds (e.g. most standard sorceresses, trappers,
> necromancers, etc) generally advance far faster than, say, a concentrate
> barbarian.
>
> On the other hand, a fully twinked up "power build" can run itself through
> each difficulty in not much over 5-7 hours apiece. And in the area of
> multiplayer, with access to good gear and with luck finding rush/the right
> questing games, one can advance a character even faster than that.

I would say 3 days. One day per difficulty (MP). How I do this is use a
highlvl char to clear the path so to speak to each wp/quest then switch back
to the victim of the week. I use trist/tombs/cows/baal runs to lvl victim.
(day being a play session about 5 or so hours long) I stay in norm to about
lvl 50 so that particular session may take the longest. I don't skip quests
or wps but I don't tary in areas I don't need to be in either if I am just
trying to work on a particular build. My newest bright Idea is
JoxerTheMighty singer barb extraordinaire! Gonna work on him later today 8D

--
In a World full of Insanity
Here I Stand.