Craig

My environment is WinXP Pro + SP2.
In order to turn off computer, I got to click "Start/Turnoff Computer".
Is there a hot key for this? craig

Shutdown & Reboot Shortcuts

Desktop Shutdown Shortcut
Right click the desktop | New | Shortcut | Create Shortcut Wizard opens |
Type or paste: %windir%\System32\shutdown.exe -s -t 00 |
Next | Type name like: SHUTDOWN | Finish | Right click the new shortcut |
Make sure Start in has: %windir%

Desktop Reboot Shortcut
Right click the desktop | New | Shortcut | Create Shortcut Wizard opens |
Type or paste: %windir%\System32\shutdown.exe -r -t 00 |
Next | Type name like: REBOOT | Finish | Right click the new shortcut |
Make sure Start in has: %windir%

Customize the icons
Right click each shortcut | Properties | Shortcut tab | Change Icon button

You can assign a Shortcut key...

1. Locate the program file (.exe) or the program's shortcut icon.
Right-click the program file or shortcut, and then click Properties.

2. Click the Shortcut tab.

3. With the cursor in the Shortcut key box, select the keyboard key you
want to use in combination with CTRL+ALT. Shortcut keys automatically start
with CTRL+ALT. The Shortcut key box will display None until you select the
key and then the box will display Ctrl+Alt+the key you selected. You cannot
use the ESC, ENTER, TAB, SPACEBAR, PRINT SCREEN, SHIFT, or BACKSPACE keys.

Note
Once you assign a shortcut key combination for a specific program, you will
not be able to use that key combination with other programs.

If you forget the key combination for your shortcut, you can follow steps 1
& 2 and review your shortcut keys.

Shortcut tab
Lists the shortcut name, target information, and shortcut key. Allows you to
choose the way the item is displayed when you open the shortcut: in a
standard window, a full screen (maximized), or as a button on the taskbar
(minimized). Also allows you to view the shortcut's target, change the icon
for the shortcut, and open a shortcut as a different user.

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:eApzGhobFHA.2180@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl,
Craig <machocraig@hotmail.com> hunted and pecked:
> My environment is WinXP Pro + SP2.
> In order to turn off computer, I got to click "Start/Turnoff Computer".
> Is there a hot key for this? craig

Craig

Wes,

I followed your instruction. It worked. When tried with the Shortkey,
there is a little long lag for shutdown.
I felt that clicking on shortcut icon does shutdown faster than the
shortkey does. I am wondering why.

>> Next | Type name like: SHUTDOWN | Finish | Right click the new shortcut |

Secondly, according to your instruction, I am creating a shortcut and the
shortcut's shortcut.
I have two shortcuts on the desktop. I wonder why.
Is that necessary to make two shortcuts?

Regards,
Craig

> Shutdown & Reboot Shortcuts
>
> Desktop Shutdown Shortcut
> Right click the desktop | New | Shortcut | Create Shortcut Wizard opens |
> Type or paste: %windir%\System32\shutdown.exe -s -t 00 |
> Next | Type name like: SHUTDOWN | Finish | Right click the new shortcut |
> Make sure Start in has: %windir%
>
> Desktop Reboot Shortcut
> Right click the desktop | New | Shortcut | Create Shortcut Wizard opens |
> Type or paste: %windir%\System32\shutdown.exe -r -t 00 |
> Next | Type name like: REBOOT | Finish | Right click the new shortcut |
> Make sure Start in has: %windir%
>
> Customize the icons

No, what Wes advised was the creation of two different shortcuts. One to shutdown, one to reboot. You don't need to create a shortcut to a shortcut.

Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
http://www.dougknox.com
--------------------------------
--------------------------------
Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.

"Craig" <machocraig@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:Oz0reFpbFHA.3328@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> Wes,
>
> I followed your instruction. It worked. When tried with the Shortkey,
> there is a little long lag for shutdown.
> I felt that clicking on shortcut icon does shutdown faster than the
> shortkey does. I am wondering why.
>
>>> Next | Type name like: SHUTDOWN | Finish | Right click the new shortcut |
>
> Secondly, according to your instruction, I am creating a shortcut and the
> shortcut's shortcut.
> I have two shortcuts on the desktop. I wonder why.
> Is that necessary to make two shortcuts?
>
> Regards,
> Craig

>> Shutdown & Reboot Shortcuts
>>
>> Desktop Shutdown Shortcut
>> Right click the desktop | New | Shortcut | Create Shortcut Wizard opens |
>> Type or paste: %windir%\System32\shutdown.exe -s -t 00 |
>> Next | Type name like: SHUTDOWN | Finish | Right click the new shortcut |
>> Make sure Start in has: %windir%
>>
>> Desktop Reboot Shortcut
>> Right click the desktop | New | Shortcut | Create Shortcut Wizard opens |
>> Type or paste: %windir%\System32\shutdown.exe -r -t 00 |
>> Next | Type name like: REBOOT | Finish | Right click the new shortcut |
>> Make sure Start in has: %windir%
>>
>> Customize the icons

On Sat, 11 Jun 2005 12:52:54 -0400, "Doug Knox MS-MVP" <dknox@mvps.org> wrote:

shortest shortcut. Hold the off button down for 3 seconds. Boom, you're
shutdown.

>No, what Wes advised was the creation of two different shortcuts. One to shutdown, one to reboot. You don't need to create a shortcut to a shortcut.

You are right. When I click on the icon, it is shutdown.
But when I used its shortkey (not shortcut), it's toooo slow.
craig

On Sat, 11 Jun 2005 16:57:59 -0400, Husky <cbminfo@toast.net> wrote:

>On Sat, 11 Jun 2005 12:52:54 -0400, "Doug Knox MS-MVP" <dknox@mvps.org> wrote:
>
>shortest shortcut. Hold the off button down for 3 seconds. Boom, you're
>shutdown.
Just unplug it- even quicker.
MH

>>No, what Wes advised was the creation of two different shortcuts. One to shutdown, one to reboot. You don't need to create a shortcut to a shortcut.

remove -bats- to reply

I'm sure that meant something.