DVD Decoder

Running Windows XP Pro & IE 6 .Attempting to play DVD`s the following
dialogue box contains the following: Windows Media Player cannot play the
DVD because a compatible decoder is not installed on your computer. How do I
rectify this problem?
Regards
Skipbs
5 answers Last reply
More about decoder

    Hi Ian,

    To fix this error you must make sure your dvd player's drivers and
    software are installed. Your DVD Player software should come with a dvd
    decoder driver that will allow WMP to work.
    --
    "If it's not broken, fix it anyway"

    "Ian Barras-Smith" wrote:

    > Running Windows XP Pro & IE 6 .Attempting to play DVD`s the following
    > dialogue box contains the following: Windows Media Player cannot play the
    > DVD because a compatible decoder is not installed on your computer. How do I
    > rectify this problem?
    > Regards
    > Skipbs

    Hi Ian,

    Ensure that an XP-compatible software DVD decoder is installed. Look under
    the "No Upgrade Is Available or No DVD Decoder Is Present" section of this
    MSKB article for a listing of supported software decoders:

    Supported software MPEG-2 DVD decoders in Windows Media Player for Windows
    XP

    Regards,

    --
    Patti MacLeod
    Microsoft MVP - Windows Shell/User

    "Ian Barras-Smith" <skip@barras-smith.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message
    > Running Windows XP Pro & IE 6 .Attempting to play DVD`s the following
    > dialogue box contains the following: Windows Media Player cannot play the
    > DVD because a compatible decoder is not installed on your computer. How do
    > rectify this problem?
    > Regards
    > Skipbs

    How to Check if DVD Decoder Software is Installed...

    By default, Windows XP does not come with compatible DVD decoder software
    installed. To confirm if you have Windows XP-compatible DVD decoder
    software
    on your system:

    Start | Run | Type: dvdupgrd /detect | Click OK |

    A Windows dialog box will open with identifying information about the
    installed software. If No decoders found is displayed, no decoder is
    installed and you cannot play DVDs.

    Supported Software MPEG-2 DVD Decoders in Windows Media Player for Windows
    XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;[LN];306331

    Then get out your credit card...

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:OFJrptqbFHA.720@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl,
    Ian Barras-Smith <skip@barras-smith.freeserve.co.uk> hunted and pecked:
    > Running Windows XP Pro & IE 6 .Attempting to play DVD`s the following
    > dialogue box contains the following: Windows Media Player cannot play the
    > DVD because a compatible decoder is not installed on your computer. How
    > do I rectify this problem?
    > Regards
    > Skipbs

    Install a codec. You can purchase one for cheap from here
    http://www.wmplugins.com/ItemDetail.aspx?ItemID=147 Doing a search may give
    you a free codec but be forewarned that free codec sometimes come with a
    price such as undesirable spyware. Paying $15 US ain't too bad.

    --

    Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
    www.webtree.ca/windowsxp

    "Ian Barras-Smith" <skip@barras-smith.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message
    > Running Windows XP Pro & IE 6 .Attempting to play DVD`s the following
    > dialogue box contains the following: Windows Media Player cannot play the
    > DVD because a compatible decoder is not installed on your computer. How do
    > I rectify this problem?
    > Regards
    > Skipbs

    There is a free decoder mentioned at videohelp.com that received good
    ratings. It is mentioned at: http://www.videohelp.com/tools?tool=Dscaler_5

    There is a link to the decoder at sourceforge.

    Cheers!

    "Ian Barras-Smith" <skip@barras-smith.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message
    > Running Windows XP Pro & IE 6 .Attempting to play DVD`s the following
    > dialogue box contains the following: Windows Media Player cannot play the
    > DVD because a compatible decoder is not installed on your computer. How do
    > I rectify this problem?
    > Regards
    > Skipbs

DVD Decoder Windows XP