Windows XP Home: NTFS?

Does Windows XP Home use NTFS, or only FAT32? Looking through the info on the
Microsoft website, it mentoins that XP Home does not include the security
encryption for NTFS, but doesn't actually say whether Home can use NTFS.

Thanks!
9 answers Last reply
More about windows home ntfs

    WKBill wrote:
    > Does Windows XP Home use NTFS, or only FAT32? Looking through the info on the
    > Microsoft website, it mentoins that XP Home does not include the security
    > encryption for NTFS, but doesn't actually say whether Home can use NTFS.
    >
    > Thanks!

    WinXP Home can use the NTFS file system. In fact, it's recommended.

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    both at once. - RAH

    In news:2CE6093B-4637-4FD7-9E4A-1B3BEB30BB5B@microsoft.com,
    WKBill <WKBill@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:

    > Does Windows XP Home use NTFS, or only FAT32? Looking through
    > the
    > info on the Microsoft website, it mentoins that XP Home does
    > not
    > include the security encryption for NTFS, but doesn't actually
    > say
    > whether Home can use NTFS.

    *All* versions of Windows XP can use NTFS, FAT32, FAT16, and
    FAT12, in any and all combinations.

    Please reply to the newsgroup

    WKBill wrote:
    > Does Windows XP Home use NTFS, or only FAT32? Looking through the
    > info on the Microsoft website, it mentoins that XP Home does not
    > include the security encryption for NTFS, but doesn't actually say
    > whether Home can use NTFS.

    Encryption and NTFS - different things.
    All versions of Windows XP support NTFS.

    --
    Shenan Stanley
    MS-MVP

    As stated in the other posts.
    NTFS is available in XP Home.
    Encryption is not, XP Pro supports encryption.

    Good Day
    River Rat

    "WKBill" <WKBill@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    Does Windows XP Home use NTFS, or only FAT32? Looking through the info on
    the
    Microsoft website, it mentoins that XP Home does not include the security
    encryption for NTFS, but doesn't actually say whether Home can use NTFS.

    Thanks!

    "WKBill" <WKBill@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Does Windows XP Home use NTFS, or only FAT32? Looking through the info on
    > the
    > Microsoft website, it mentoins that XP Home does not include the security
    > encryption for NTFS, but doesn't actually say whether Home can use NTFS.
    >
    > Thanks!
    I kept waiting for someone to tell WKBill how to convert his drive to NTFS.
    XP Help provides this:
    To convert a volume to NTFS from the command prompt

    1.. Open the Command Prompt window.
    2.. In the command prompt window, type
    convert drive_letter: /fs:ntfs

    For example, typing convert D: /fs:ntfs would format drive D: with the
    ntfs format.

    Notes

    a.. To open a command prompt, click Start, point to All Programs, point to
    Accessories, and then click Command Prompt.
    b.. You can convert FAT or FAT32 volumes to NTFS with this command.
    Related Topics

    begin 666 shortcutCold.gif
    M1TE&.#EA"0`)`*(``(AZA68)>\#<P+_4OH" @ ```````````"P`````"0`)
    B```#'$@$W"HCR##>B+*2.ZG"E+=EEQ9=0OI%J:J\< (`.P``
    `
    end

    begin 666 note.gif
    M1TE&.#EA"@`*`+/_`(V,C?__S/_,`/\%!?]=7<# P-/3T\# P(6%A0("`@``
    M`````````````````````"'Y! $```4`+ `````*``H`0 0H$,AI#AD@Z)U*
    AR1HB)(8'<N,7&EJG;JV P4GZ&@D2(";<>HF@,.B)```[
    `
    end

    In news:%23KhxK13bFHA.3912@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl,
    Chuck Davis <newsgroup at anthemwebs dot com> typed:

    > "WKBill" <WKBill@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> Does Windows XP Home use NTFS, or only FAT32? Looking through
    >> the
    >> info on the
    >> Microsoft website, it mentoins that XP Home does not include
    >> the
    >> security encryption for NTFS, but doesn't actually say
    >> whether Home
    >> can use NTFS. Thanks!

    > I kept waiting for someone to tell WKBill how to convert his
    > drive to
    > NTFS. XP Help provides this:

    I'm not at all sure that WKBill wanted to convert his drive to
    NTFS, but just in case he did, the information you presented
    omits an important consideration. He should first read
    http://www.aumha.org/a/ntfscvt.htm because there's an issue
    regarding cluster size that isn't obvious.

    Chuck Davis wrote:

    > I kept waiting for someone to tell WKBill how to convert his drive to NTFS.

    Why? That's not what he asked.

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    both at once. - RAH

    Chuck Davis wrote:
    > I kept waiting for someone to tell WKBill how to convert his drive to
    > NTFS. XP Help provides this:
    > To convert a volume to NTFS from the command prompt
    >
    > 1.. Open the Command Prompt window.
    > 2.. In the command prompt window, type
    > convert drive_letter: /fs:ntfs
    >
    > For example, typing convert D: /fs:ntfs would format drive D: with
    > the ntfs format.
    >
    > Notes
    >
    > a.. To open a command prompt, click Start, point to All Programs,
    > point to Accessories, and then click Command Prompt.
    > b.. You can convert FAT or FAT32 volumes to NTFS with this command.

    Why would anyone tell WKBill how to convert his drive to NTFS? WKBill never
    stated they were not NTFS or that was their desire. Matter of fact - it
    looks like WKBill was confused about "Encryption" vs. "NTFS" in the first
    place. WKBill asked if Windows XP Home edition could use NTFS. The answer
    to that (given in many forms) is "Yes."

    Beyond that - WKBill didn't ask anything more nor really infer anything
    more. WKBill likely *is* using NTFS and just doesn't know it.. In XP Home
    its real power is quite well hidden.

    --
    Shenan Stanley
    MS-MVP

    YA
    What Shenan, Bruce, & Ken said!!!!

    Ask, Answer
    That is how the process works!

    --
    Good Day
    River Rat

    "Chuck Davis" <newsgroup at anthemwebs dot com> wrote in message

    "WKBill" <WKBill@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Does Windows XP Home use NTFS, or only FAT32? Looking through the info on
    > the
    > Microsoft website, it mentoins that XP Home does not include the security
    > encryption for NTFS, but doesn't actually say whether Home can use NTFS.
    >
    > Thanks!
    I kept waiting for someone to tell WKBill how to convert his drive to NTFS.
    XP Help provides this:
    To convert a volume to NTFS from the command prompt

    1.. Open the Command Prompt window.
    2.. In the command prompt window, type
    convert drive_letter: /fs:ntfs

    For example, typing convert D: /fs:ntfs would format drive D: with the
    ntfs format.

    Notes

    a.. To open a command prompt, click Start, point to All Programs, point to
    Accessories, and then click Command Prompt.
    b.. You can convert FAT or FAT32 volumes to NTFS with this command.
    Related Topics

NTFS Microsoft Windows XP