Windows XP Home: NTFS?

Does Windows XP Home use NTFS, or only FAT32? Looking through the info on the
Microsoft website, it mentoins that XP Home does not include the security
encryption for NTFS, but doesn't actually say whether Home can use NTFS.

Thanks!

WKBill wrote:
> Does Windows XP Home use NTFS, or only FAT32? Looking through the info on the
> Microsoft website, it mentoins that XP Home does not include the security
> encryption for NTFS, but doesn't actually say whether Home can use NTFS.
>
> Thanks!

WinXP Home can use the NTFS file system. In fact, it's recommended.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

both at once. - RAH

In news:2CE6093B-4637-4FD7-9E4A-1B3BEB30BB5B@microsoft.com,
WKBill <WKBill@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:

> Does Windows XP Home use NTFS, or only FAT32? Looking through
> the
> info on the Microsoft website, it mentoins that XP Home does
> not
> include the security encryption for NTFS, but doesn't actually
> say
> whether Home can use NTFS.

*All* versions of Windows XP can use NTFS, FAT32, FAT16, and
FAT12, in any and all combinations.

Please reply to the newsgroup

WKBill wrote:
> Does Windows XP Home use NTFS, or only FAT32? Looking through the
> info on the Microsoft website, it mentoins that XP Home does not
> include the security encryption for NTFS, but doesn't actually say
> whether Home can use NTFS.

Encryption and NTFS - different things.
All versions of Windows XP support NTFS.

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

As stated in the other posts.
NTFS is available in XP Home.
Encryption is not, XP Pro supports encryption.

Good Day
River Rat

"WKBill" <WKBill@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
Does Windows XP Home use NTFS, or only FAT32? Looking through the info on
the
Microsoft website, it mentoins that XP Home does not include the security
encryption for NTFS, but doesn't actually say whether Home can use NTFS.

Thanks!

"WKBill" <WKBill@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Does Windows XP Home use NTFS, or only FAT32? Looking through the info on
> the
> Microsoft website, it mentoins that XP Home does not include the security
> encryption for NTFS, but doesn't actually say whether Home can use NTFS.
>
> Thanks!
I kept waiting for someone to tell WKBill how to convert his drive to NTFS.
XP Help provides this:
To convert a volume to NTFS from the command prompt

1.. Open the Command Prompt window.
2.. In the command prompt window, type
convert drive_letter: /fs:ntfs

For example, typing convert D: /fs:ntfs would format drive D: with the
ntfs format.

Notes

a.. To open a command prompt, click Start, point to All Programs, point to
Accessories, and then click Command Prompt.
b.. You can convert FAT or FAT32 volumes to NTFS with this command.
Related Topics

begin 666 shortcutCold.gif
M1TE&.#EA"0`)`*(``(AZA68)>\#<P+_4OH" @ ```````````"P`````"0`)
B```#'$@$W"HCR##>B+*2.ZG"E+=EEQ9=0OI%J:J\< (`.P``
`
end

begin 666 note.gif
M1TE&.#EA"@`*`+/_`(V,C?__S/_,`/\%!?]=7<# P-/3T\# P(6%A0("`@``
M`````````````````````"'Y! $```4`+ `````*``H`0 0H$,AI#AD@Z)U*
AR1HB)(8'<N,7&EJG;JV P4GZ&@D2(";<>HF@,.B)```[
`
end

In news:%23KhxK13bFHA.3912@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl,
Chuck Davis <newsgroup at anthemwebs dot com> typed:

> "WKBill" <WKBill@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> Does Windows XP Home use NTFS, or only FAT32? Looking through
>> the
>> info on the
>> Microsoft website, it mentoins that XP Home does not include
>> the
>> security encryption for NTFS, but doesn't actually say
>> whether Home
>> can use NTFS. Thanks!

> I kept waiting for someone to tell WKBill how to convert his
> drive to
> NTFS. XP Help provides this:

I'm not at all sure that WKBill wanted to convert his drive to
NTFS, but just in case he did, the information you presented
omits an important consideration. He should first read
http://www.aumha.org/a/ntfscvt.htm because there's an issue
regarding cluster size that isn't obvious.

Chuck Davis wrote:

> I kept waiting for someone to tell WKBill how to convert his drive to NTFS.

Why? That's not what he asked.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

both at once. - RAH

Chuck Davis wrote:
> I kept waiting for someone to tell WKBill how to convert his drive to
> NTFS. XP Help provides this:
> To convert a volume to NTFS from the command prompt
>
> 1.. Open the Command Prompt window.
> 2.. In the command prompt window, type
> convert drive_letter: /fs:ntfs
>
> For example, typing convert D: /fs:ntfs would format drive D: with
> the ntfs format.
>
> Notes
>
> a.. To open a command prompt, click Start, point to All Programs,
> point to Accessories, and then click Command Prompt.
> b.. You can convert FAT or FAT32 volumes to NTFS with this command.

Why would anyone tell WKBill how to convert his drive to NTFS? WKBill never
stated they were not NTFS or that was their desire. Matter of fact - it
looks like WKBill was confused about "Encryption" vs. "NTFS" in the first
place. WKBill asked if Windows XP Home edition could use NTFS. The answer
to that (given in many forms) is "Yes."

Beyond that - WKBill didn't ask anything more nor really infer anything
more. WKBill likely *is* using NTFS and just doesn't know it.. In XP Home
its real power is quite well hidden.

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP