Help??!!?? I can't email or ftp any files, although I can ..

I'm using XP home for the first time, (my hd crashed with Win2k, and the
second HD had XP Pro) On my old machines, I was able to upload and
download no issue, whatsoever.

The only difference between then and now, other than a week, (and two
dead HD's), is that I am on XP home. I have the firewall off, since I
have Netgear Hardware Firewall. I'm on a new HP Pent4 3.1Ghz
machine...200 G HD, and the only hd differences is that I've added an
Ipod, (happy birthday).

I checked, my firewall is off. I have satellite, and set the DNS and IP
to auto detect. It doesn't matter if I use browser based email, or
Dreamweaver, I can't upload. It wouldnt' be a big deal, but I'm a web
designer, and that's sort of how I make my sites.

any ideas?? I keep finding similar questions on the MS community
boards, but no responses.

Thanks

CJ

Since you can download, you've got connectivity (you've gotta send something
up in order to start the download). I'd assume, then, that the problem is in
the email/ftp settings.

What email and FTP programs are you using? Are there restrictions on your
uploads that are set by your ISP? Can you email (w/attachments) using web
based Hotmail?

usasma wrote:
> Since you can download, you've got connectivity (you've gotta send something
> up in order to start the download). I'd assume, then, that the problem is in
> the email/ftp settings.
>
> What email and FTP programs are you using? Are there restrictions on your
> uploads that are set by your ISP? Can you email (w/attachments) using web
> based Hotmail?

Thanks so much for responding.
I pinged, and was able to test packets. But, I used SmartFTP,
Dreamweaver MX, browser FTP, and emailed using Outlook Express,
Thunderbird, (what I usually use), and Outlook...as well as Gmail and
Yahoo Mail. Nothing works.

I called the ISP, (direcway), and the computer company, (hp), and
although I worked all the msconfig settings and LAN settings, as well as
server settings...well I'm stymied.

I think it wouldn't be so frustrating, but I had to use my back up,
(dial up) service to load a client file tonight..very slooooow to say
the lest.

I'm open to any ideas..again, thanks for responding.

CJ

HI,
It's been three more days of "what the ..", but my ISP and I are still
scratching our heads. My machine came with XP SP2 installed, and it was
recommended that I remove SP2.

I followed all of the directions on the MS site, and I can't find the
hidden uninstall, nor did I get an XP cd included with my HP machine.
How does on install SP2, when all of the six options available on the MS
help pages doesn't seem to exist?

Thanks

CJ

In news:0skre.3400$eM6.1961@newsread3.news.atl.earthlink.net,
CJ Jones <catheb@peoplepc.com> typed:

> It's been three more days of "what the ..", but my ISP and I
> are still
> scratching our heads. My machine came with XP SP2 installed,
> and it
> was recommended that I remove SP2.

Who recommended it and why?

> I followed all of the directions on the MS site, and I can't
> find the
> hidden uninstall, nor did I get an XP cd included with my HP
> machine.
> How does on install SP2, when all of the six options available
> on the
> MS help pages doesn't seem to exist?

SP2 can only be removed if it was installed after the original XP
installation. If it was installed as part of the original
installation, you can't do this.

So you can't uninstall it (and it's probably good that you
can't).

Please reply to the newsgroup

Ken Blake wrote:
> In news:0skre.3400$eM6.1961@newsread3.news.atl.earthlink.net,
> CJ Jones <catheb@peoplepc.com> typed:
>

>>It's been three more days of "what the ..", but my ISP and I
>>are still
>>scratching our heads. My machine came with XP SP2 installed,
>>and it
>>was recommended that I remove SP2.
>

> Who recommended it and why?

Thanks for responding Ken..I didn't even bother trying to uninstall. I
tested the issue on my Mac, and the same thing happened. I have Direcway
as an ISP and I'm guessing that's the issue.