Sign in with
Your question
Closed

EcoTerrorists With Bomb Arrested Near IBM Facility

Tags:
  • IBM
Last response: in News comments
April 27, 2010 3:18:01 PM

Out of curiousity, why are these people considered eco-terrorists? It seems like they are more of the anti-technology variety. Or do they just believe that such human endeavors are raping the planet?
Score
April 27, 2010 3:19:34 PM

How about just call them what they are - terrorists. I mean, if they were going to bomb the site, I don't what their motivations were, it was all based on causing terror and fear.

Throw the book at them.
Score
April 27, 2010 3:22:48 PM

I guess they were upset that "Deep Blue" beat a human at chess!! Crazy people.
Score
April 27, 2010 3:24:14 PM

too bad it wasnt an apple facility
Score
April 27, 2010 3:27:04 PM

First the terrorists ruin my favorite TV show South Park with threats, and now they want to destroy my technology?
Score
April 27, 2010 3:28:32 PM

You mean SKYNET, ROBOTS.

right?

So they finally caught the Connors.
Score
April 27, 2010 3:42:49 PM

Quote:
The AP reports that police also found a note indicating the planned attack on the facility.

How convenient!
They didnt happen to have a note about Global warming conspiracies did they? =/
Score
April 27, 2010 3:48:16 PM

"The group describes itself as anarchist and is opposed to all forms of micro-technology as well as nuclear power and weapons."
Weapons? Isn't that ironic?
Reminds me of Mitch Hedberg: "I'm against picketing, but I don't know how to show it"
isamuelsonHow about just call them what they are - terrorists. I mean, if they were going to bomb the site, I don't what their motivations were, it was all based on causing terror and fear.Throw the book at them.

And lets remove the names of all types of cancers? There are many different terrorists and if you just say "terrorists" to the average stupid Joe he thinks of some Taliban from Afghanistan.

Just like the comment higher up about South Park. As much as that was a joke many people probably don't see that Islamic extremism is not the same thing as this - which is very important to differ if you want to get to the root of the problem.

By the way...what book are you referring to?
Score
April 27, 2010 4:02:55 PM

I'm interested to hear why they chose IBM as a target. There must be more environmentally damaging companies out there than IBM.
Score
April 27, 2010 4:06:45 PM

i just wonder how secret was the secret meeting ?? ... i mean was it super duper secret? or just don't tell my mommy secret? ... i guess they are all using invisibility cloaks
Score
April 27, 2010 4:10:51 PM

the only effective solution to world environmental problem is a human engineered one.

Except these air heads cannot comprehend whats done is done and that now best we can do is to use technology fix technologically created problems.
Score
April 27, 2010 4:15:10 PM

Wouldn't Eco-terrorists want to promote technology that would use less resources to create and less energy to use? Seems a little mixed up to me.
Score
April 27, 2010 4:20:06 PM

this could be real, or this could be a random NWO propaganda act. They do this all the time.
Score
April 27, 2010 4:22:18 PM

They sound more like Luddites, not eco-terrorists.
Score
April 27, 2010 4:30:42 PM

micr0bei guess they are all using invisibility cloaks

Hippie #1: "We'll be able to successfully carry off our bombings against major technology producers now that we have our new Invisibility Cloaks!"

Hippie #2: "Aren't those made using new technologies?"

Hippie #1: "Noooooooooooo!"

Hippie #2: "Dude, you sound just like Vader at the end of Episode 3"

Hippie #1: "You have a television?!?!!! TRAITOR!!! Plus everyone knows that Episodes 1 through 3 don't count"

Hippie #3: "Hey pass that joint over here"
Score
April 27, 2010 4:31:18 PM

We need to put the fear back into the justice system. No one is afraid of the consequences of their actions. In the US, a lot of killers kill because they know they will get out in 3-5 years because of the overcrowded prisons and lenient penalties.
Score
April 27, 2010 4:31:50 PM

Either criminals are getting dumber and dumber, or this was a setup. I love the "routine traffic stop" ... what did they have the bomb on the dash? Or maybe in the baby seat in the back? And they were carrying a letter that references the attack? Come on. Really?
Score
April 27, 2010 4:31:57 PM

isamuelsonHow about just call them what they are - terrorists. I mean, if they were going to bomb the site, I don't what their motivations were, it was all based on causing terror and fear.Throw the book at them.

Duh, only middle easterners are terrorists. This is what makes me sadly disappointed with our country. If they were linked with Al-Qaeda these guys would be getting the old water board treatment by now at Gitmo and this would be all over the news. Eco-terrorists...sheeesh. Makes it sound like they are going to go poo on IBM's front lawn...
Score
April 27, 2010 4:35:12 PM

Man, that's just stupid. Its like a pro-lifer taking a bomb to a abortion clinic. Do these idiots have any idea what chemicals might be released during the explosion that ends up being released into the environment. Shoot, even household cleaners aren't something you want to dump into your backyard. This guy should be shot for stupidity.
Score
April 27, 2010 5:37:47 PM

Can somebody explain how someone could believe they are justified to kill people they don't even know? I mean, this isn't a military base, or a prison, its a flipping research facility.
Score
April 27, 2010 5:58:10 PM

schmich"The group describes itself as anarchist and is opposed to all forms of micro-technology as well as nuclear power and weapons."Weapons? Isn't that ironic?Reminds me of Mitch Hedberg: "I'm against picketing, but I don't know how to show it"And lets remove the names of all types of cancers? There are many different terrorists and if you just say "terrorists" to the average stupid Joe he thinks of some Taliban from Afghanistan.Just like the comment higher up about South Park. As much as that was a joke many people probably don't see that Islamic extremism is not the same thing as this - which is very important to differ if you want to get to the root of the problem.By the way...what book are you referring to?

Whats the problem with calling them what they are.. terrorists. if they want to be looked at like a islamic extremist thats thier problem. they are what they are. putting eco in front of it to alot of people will justify what they are doing anyways as if they are really doing it for a good cause. They will get NO WHERE doing this.

Cancer is is so many ways different then how you were trying to put the two together.. Terrorist have only one treatment put them away for a long time so they can think about the people they hurt either directly or indirectly they hurt people.
Score
April 27, 2010 5:59:10 PM

So let me get this straight: they label themselves ecoterrorists because they are against microtechnology.

So, they were caught driving a... car, with it's electronic engine managment system, abs, electronic stability control, volumetric alarm, airbags, radio, even perhaps GPS, and they were carrying a bomb, which, unless it is made out of a bottle filled with alcohol or gasoline and a piece of cloth, I'd say also incorporates technology...

Why are people so stupid they can't even be coherent ? Being an Ecoterrorist is a contradiction of terms! They should do peaceful demonstrations, not this!
Score
April 27, 2010 6:28:31 PM

Were they gonna blow it up with eco-explosives? That way it would have less of an environmental impact!!!
Score
April 27, 2010 6:50:38 PM

schmichThere are many different terrorists and if you just say "terrorists" to the average stupid Joe he thinks of some Taliban from Afghanistan.Just like the comment higher up about South Park. As much as that was a joke many people probably don't see that Islamic extremism is not the same thing as this - which is very important to differ if you want to get to the root of the problem.By the way...what book are you referring to?

Nope, they're just terrorists. Creating superfluous labels like "eco" terrorists is a waste of time. It was someone's idea to make it seem like what these guys were doing was somehow not as bad as what the Taliban or al qaeda do. There's good reasons to differentiate types of cancer. There's not good reasons to differentiate types of terrorists.

As for the book, it's a figure of speech; however if you want to be specific and overly literal then the Klencke atlas should do nicely.
Score
April 27, 2010 7:13:40 PM

"Being against micro-technology"... Maybe because it's what I'm working on every single day (and so retro, we call it nanotechnology nowadays), but I don't parse that! How can some one be so ignorant to be against something which... exist in nature... How do they think snails shells are made (nano-scale assembly)... How do they think gecko feet functions or lotus leaves...
Score
April 27, 2010 7:18:45 PM

This is nothing new 50/50 its is the real deal some nut jobs or it is some retards hired to do a fail job.
Score
April 27, 2010 7:42:10 PM

I find the entire episode rather bizarre.
Score
April 27, 2010 8:02:56 PM

Idiots.... Nano Tech could be wonderful for us.
Score
April 27, 2010 8:33:07 PM

Gin FushichoIdiots.... Nano Tech could be wonderful for us.

Or if not for, then at least for our robot overlords.
Score
April 27, 2010 9:45:34 PM

And this is what happens when people take Avatar seriously, rather than just laugh at its' plot and marvel at its' special effects.
Score
April 27, 2010 10:25:08 PM

Quote:
According to DM, Swiss media reported that the intended bombing was planned to coincide with a secret meeting of European anarchists on April 16 and 17 in the Swiss town of Winterthur.

Two questions, 1. how did they know about the secret meeting, and 2. since when are anarchists organized?
Score
April 27, 2010 10:27:35 PM

Sounds to me like and irked AIX or Notes admin. With how buggy their software is, I'm surprised they haven't been bombed all over the world repeatedly already. It really is a PITA to administer any IBM product.
Score
April 27, 2010 10:50:48 PM

I guess that secret meeting wasn't so secret :) 
Score
April 28, 2010 12:06:02 AM

could have just used candle bombs. much easier to make and much harder to detect.
Score
April 28, 2010 1:10:21 AM

Big Blue avoids the big boom because of a random traffic stop? How lucky is that?
Score
April 28, 2010 2:22:08 AM

Eco-terrorists my eye! They didn't even take into account the toll on the environment the production of that bomb had, or the the air pollution from the smoke and dust, or the destruction of nearby plants and animals. And that car probably wasn't electric!
Score
April 28, 2010 7:37:18 AM

Articlea secret meeting of European anarchists

This piece just seems all wrong to me! Are they really anarchists if they plan and hold meetings? I mean anarchy is supposed to be about chaotic unpredictability without any central form of goverment right?
Score
April 28, 2010 8:16:16 AM

no comments about the candle bomb?
Score
April 28, 2010 12:10:49 PM

wolfseeker2828Two questions, 1. how did they know about the secret meeting, and 2. since when are anarchists organized?

1. Most fringe groups crazy enough to try something serious aren't trained intelligence operatives.
2. They hire a secretary to organize everything, then shoot her after she drafts a good plan.

Anarchists could probably be cured with a healthy dose of Left 4 Dead teamwork trials.

Score
April 28, 2010 1:53:57 PM

I wonder if their bomb would have ever been detected if it was constructed with IBM's state of the art nanotechnology. IBM says "All your base are belong to us!"
Score
April 28, 2010 2:07:19 PM

gm0n3yI'm interested to hear why they chose IBM as a target. There must be more environmentally damaging companies out there than IBM.

Face it, if you are mad enough to try and get your point acrosss using explosives, then making rational decisions probably isn't high up on their skill set.
Score
April 28, 2010 4:03:00 PM

Terrorists suck!
Score
April 28, 2010 4:13:15 PM

Not wanting to make any difference between islamic extremists that use fear to overthrow a government by killing innocent civilians on purpose and people that want to blow a building (probably empty) is really dangerous and isn't working towards a better comprehension of these acts.
As for anarchists, no they are not against organisation and it's a complete lack of knowledge of this movement to say that they are for chaos. Anarchy doesn't mean chaos. Absence of government doesn't mean lack of organisation.
Score
April 28, 2010 4:59:04 PM

OK, back to the point, they must be out of their tiny fucking minds.

If you want to be an Eco Terrorist and use a bomb to send a message, why not blow up the Exxon head office, or Shell, or some other oil company.

Blowing up a computer company building... errr... why?????????
Score
April 28, 2010 5:38:00 PM

back_by_demandIf you want to be an Eco Terrorist and use a bomb to send a message, why not blow up the Exxon head office, or Shell, or some other oil company.

Shell is actually considered to be an environmentally friendly company.
Score
Anonymous
April 28, 2010 6:49:42 PM

These bombers should be called mentally ill.
Score
April 28, 2010 10:50:17 PM

They say the Tea Parties & the Right are the dangerous. Could you image if these guys were from the right (U.S.A. Right not E.U. Right) or part of the Tea Party. CNN & MSNBC would be reporting this every 5 mins non-stop for weeks & months.
Score
April 28, 2010 11:00:48 PM

gm0n3yShell is actually considered to be an environmentally friendly company.

I certainly hope you mean in relative terms, as in more environmentally friendly than, for example, the Exxon Valdez after it dumped 10 million gallons of oil in the water.

It is an oil company, it drills big fucking holes in the ground, pumps up millions of barrels of the black stuff and refines it so that you can drive your fat ass to work everyday and choke the planet to death.

If Shell was to spend its entire lifetime gained assets and move into the job of planting trees and finding a way to make fusion work properly then then it could make up for 103 years of inexorabley turning the world into a giant steaming turd, then, maybe, it could be called environmentally friendly.
Score
April 28, 2010 11:24:43 PM

back_by_demandI certainly hope you mean in relative terms, as in more environmentally friendly than, for example, the Exxon Valdez after it dumped 10 million gallons of oil in the water.It is an oil company, it drills big fucking holes in the ground, pumps up millions of barrels of the black stuff and refines it so that you can drive your fat ass to work everyday and choke the planet to death.If Shell was to spend its entire lifetime gained assets and move into the job of planting trees and finding a way to make fusion work properly then then it could make up for 103 years of inexorabley turning the world into a giant steaming turd, then, maybe, it could be called environmentally friendly.

While Shell has made some mistakes, they have realized that it is more profitable to try to protect the environment than to destroy it.

For example, their location in Papua New Guinea is pristine wilderness. Biologists going to the island to conduct research have commented on how the ecosystem is being destroyed on large parts of the island, but that the large piece of land that Shell owns is pretty much a wildlife preserve. Even the single road through most of the area is a small single lane dirt track, not the sprawling clear cut that most companies have. The locals had chased out the 2 previous oil companies that had tried to drill in the area due to their environmental practices and Shell has realized that they need to work with communities in order to get reliable access to their oil.

Shell is by no means perfect, but they are leaders for environmental responsibility in the oil industry.
Score
      • 1 / 2
      • Newest
!