Problem with Mobo Asus A7N8X Deluxe in new machine

nagual

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2003
Hi everybody,

I just bought all the components for a new machine, and when trying to install windows I ran into a problem:

I have an Asus A7N8X Deluxe Motherboard and two sticks of 256 MB PC2700 ram. (with a Barton 2500+)
When I boot the computer with the two sticks in ramslots 2 and 3 ( the two blue ones for dual access), the system will not boot properly. Initially all the ram is found, but then it soon crashes, with errors that are apparently memory related (PAGE_FAULT_IN_UNPAGED_AREA, IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL and more). I cannot install Windows.

But when I use EITHER one stick in ramslot 1, it works just fine, and I could install windows without problem.
It also works fine with both sticks in slot 1 and 2, but that won't give me the dual thingy.

Now, does this mean that the ram slot 3 on the motherboard is broken, or could this also have other reasons? (I just want to make sure before I get a new MoBo). It can't be the RAM, right? Or is there something I overlooked that is needed to activate Dual Whatever (I can't manage to remember the proper name)

Thanks in advance,

nagual

Syndil

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2003
While researching your problem, I ran across <A HREF="http://216.239.37.104/search?q=cache:T6F1TA8Hv9UJ:www.hardwareanalysis.com/content/topic/3168/+PAGE+FAULT+IN+UNPAGED+AREA+IRQL+NOT+LESS+OR+EQUAL&hl=en&ie=UTF-8" target="_new">this thread</A> in another forum. Several people discuss having the same problem. Basically, from what I gathered, it looks like you either have bad memory, or a bad mobo. Since the memory works fine as long as you don't try the dual configuration, I suspect it could be one of two things. Either the mobo is faulty and needs to be replaced, or your memory sticks do not exactly match in some manner. Hope this helps. Good luck!

<font color=white><b>_________________________________________________</font color=white></b>
Armadillo<font color=orange>[</font color=orange><font color=green>TcC</font color=green><font color=orange>]</font color=orange> at Lanwar and MML

ChipDeath

Splendid
May 16, 2002
The two sticks have to be identical, & the faster you run them the more identical they have to be, effectively. Dual-channel mode is a bit sensitive like that. If you bought them as a twin pack - certified to run in DC mode - then you can RMA them and get some corsair or similar high-spec stuff.

If you try and get PC3200 stuff instead you'll be able to overclock very well... or just buy some matched PC2700 if you don't want to OC.

I have 2x256Mb Corsair PC3200LL TwinX series in my nforce 2 mobo, and it runs like a dream (2-2-2-4 @ 195Mhz)

---
$hit Happens. I just wish it would happen to someone else for a change.

nagual

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2003
Thanks a lot, guys.

The two RAM-sticks I have now are generic, but same size and same manufacturer-label. They are not DC-certified, though. They both work fine in single channel mode.

Is there any way to actually find out if it's the socket on the Mobo, or the sticks, without getting new expensive ram?

ChipDeath

Splendid
May 16, 2002
Don't think there's any easy way to tell, but it does sound like that problem, and the fact that both sticks work fine by themselves would indicate they're ok.

I suppose it COULD be the mobo, but I haven't seen any confirmed cases of the extra (DC) slot being broken.

The only thing I could think to try is temporarily decrease your FSB to 133Mhz or below, and see if it's stable in DC mode then. Should at least show you if dual channel itself is the problem.

It's still worth getting some good fast RAM though, as you then get some nice overclocking headroom, with fast mem timings, should you be so inclined (and I would be with your setup).

---
$hit Happens. I just wish it would happen to someone else for a change.

rcj187

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2002
it is the ram. like somebody else said dual channel is very picky about types of ram. i had problems with it myself because i didnt want to pay the premium for twinx. i found that ocz3200 works very well (in my system at least) and its a lot cheaper than the crucial or corsair high end stuff

addiarmadar

Distinguished
May 26, 2003
Dual Channel is EXTREMELY pick for they have to be pretty much perfect matched pairs of ram or the whole dual channel thing is worthless. Corsair and Geil are pretty good with RMA on this, just unfortunately it is quite rare to buy your first matched pair and actually work on the first set. Usually you have to go through a few RMAs to get a matched pair to get the dual channel mode to work correctly or at all. It took me 3 RMAs with Corsair to get a good pair. Just the price of that mode.