folder permissions aren't defaulted

June 12, 2005 4:08:55 PM

The helps on how to access special folders are written as though the security
tab is a DEFAULT setting. It isn't.

How to get the security tab displayed in windows explorer

Start -> Control Panel -> appearance and themes -> folder options -> view tab
-> advanced settings -> use simple file sharing ->

Default setting is ON. turn it off.

More about : folder permissions defaulted

Anonymous
June 12, 2005 4:08:56 PM

Permissions are set only on drives formatted to use NTFS.

To display the Security tab...
Open Folder Options in Control Panel.
Click Start, point to Settings, and then click Control Panel.
Double-click Folder Options
On the View tab, under Advanced settings, clear ? Use simple file sharing
[Recommended].

[[Specifies that simplified sharing is enabled. Simplified sharing lets you
share folders with everyone on your workgroup or network and make folders in
your user profile private. However, if simplified sharing is enabled, you
cannot prevent specific users and groups from accessing your shared folders.
Clear this check box if you want to set folder permissions for specific
users and groups.]]

[[Note You cannot turn off simple file sharing in Microsoft Windows XP Home
Edition.]]

[[If simple file sharing is enabled, you see the simple file sharing user
interface appears instead of the Security and Sharing tabs. By default,
this new user interface is implemented in Windows XP Home Edition and in
Microsoft Windows XP Professional if you are working in a workgroup. If you
turn off simple file sharing, the classic Security and Sharing tabs appear,
and you can specify which users and groups have access to shared folders on
your computer. ]]

How to disable simplified sharing and set permissions on a shared folder in
Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;307874

The sharing tab is not visible if you are logged on to a machine with an
account that does not have adequate rights.

The sharing option is not available for the Documents and Settings, Program
Files, and WINDOWS system folders. In addition, you cannot share folders in
other user's profiles.

or...

The Sharing tab is not visible....
Start | Run | Type: services.msc | OK |
Scroll down to and double click: Server service |
Set Startup type to: Automatic | Click Apply | Click the Start button |
When it has started, click OK

If you do not see the Server service..........
This will restore the Server Service (lanmanserver).

Open Network Connections, click Start, point to Settings, click Control
Panel, and then double-click Network Connections. | Right click Your
Connection | Properties | General tab | Install button | Highlight: Service
| Add button | Highlight: File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks |
OK | Close
-----

Open Group Policy...
Start | Run | Type: gpedit.msc | Click OK |
Navigate to...
Administrative Templates\Windows Components\Windows Explorer\
Remove the Security tab
Set to Not Configured or Disabled.

Remove the Security tab
[[Removes the Security tab from Windows Explorer.

If you enable this setting, users opening the Properties dialog box for all
file system objects, including folders, files, shortcuts, and drives, will
not be able to access the Security tab. As a result, users will be able to
neither change the security settings nor view a list of all users that have
access to the resource in question.

If you disable or do not configure this setting, users will be able to
access the security tab.]]

Check settings here...
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\
Policies\Explorer
If there is no NoSecurityTab listing then this is not the problem.
Value Name: NoSecurityTab
Value Type: REG_DWORD
Value Data: 0 or 1
0 = Security tab will be visible
1 = Security tab will not be visible

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:jgnoa1p5b5up9l22obftbcek5mnkbhr4sl@4ax.com,
Husky <cbminfo@toast.net> hunted and pecked:
> The helps on how to access special folders are written as though the
> security tab is a DEFAULT setting. It isn't.
>
> How to get the security tab displayed in windows explorer
>
> Start -> Control Panel -> appearance and themes -> folder options -> view
> tab -> advanced settings -> use simple file sharing ->
>
> Default setting is ON. turn it off.
>
> --
> more pix @ http://members.toast.net/cbminfo/index.html
Anonymous
June 12, 2005 4:14:02 PM

As an aside, I had this problem for quite a while - and it has to do with
Simple File Sharing. The quick fix is to boot into Safe Mode and the
Security tab will show up there.

"Wesley Vogel" wrote:

> [...]
> Policies\Explorer
> If there is no NoSecurityTab listing then this is not the problem.
> Value Name: NoSecurityTab
> Value Type: REG_DWORD
> Value Data: 0 or 1
> 0 = Security tab will be visible
> 1 = Security tab will not be visible
>

> --
> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>
> Wes
> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>
> In news:jgnoa1p5b5up9l22obftbcek5mnkbhr4sl@4ax.com,
> Husky <cbminfo@toast.net> hunted and pecked:
> > The helps on how to access special folders are written as though the
> > security tab is a DEFAULT setting. It isn't.
> >
> > How to get the security tab displayed in windows explorer
> >
> > Start -> Control Panel -> appearance and themes -> folder options -> view
> > tab -> advanced settings -> use simple file sharing ->

June 12, 2005 7:38:41 PM

On Sun, 12 Jun 2005 10:45:55 -0600, "Wesley Vogel" <123WVogel955@comcast.net>
wrote:

>Permissions are set only on drives formatted to use NTFS.
No they aren't.. You have to go thru all those steps I posted to turn on the
security tab.
The helps on using the security tab are written as if the tab is showing by
default. When the toggle is OFF by Default, the tab is off also.

> [...]
>Administrative Templates\Windows Components\Windows Explorer\
>Remove the Security tab
>Set to Not Configured or Disabled.
>
>Remove the Security tab
>[[Removes the Security tab from Windows Explorer.
>
>If you enable this setting, users opening the Properties dialog box for all
>file system objects, including folders, files, shortcuts, and drives, will
>not be able to access the Security tab. As a result, users will be able to
>neither change the security settings nor view a list of all users that have
>access to the resource in question.
>
>If you disable or do not configure this setting, users will be able to
>access the security tab.]]
>
>Check settings here...
>HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\
>Policies\Explorer
>If there is no NoSecurityTab listing then this is not the problem.

And this is just a FWIW. I posted the post to the group because it took 2 days
searching help, and online to find how to turn the security tab on. And I don't
plan on wasting another 2 days finding out how again, when I can store the
answer in my email hints file.
June 12, 2005 11:39:49 PM

"Husky" <cbminfo@toast.net> wrote in message
> [...]
have
> >access to the resource in question.
> >
> >If you disable or do not configure this setting, users will be able to
> >access the security tab.]]
> >
> >Check settings here...
> >HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\
> >Policies\Explorer
> >If there is no NoSecurityTab listing then this is not the problem.
> >Value Name: NoSecurityTab
> >Value Type: REG_DWORD
> >Value Data: 0 or 1
> >0 = Security tab will be visible
> >1 = Security tab will not be visible
>
> And this is just a FWIW. I posted the post to the group because it took 2
days
> searching help, and online to find how to turn the security tab on. And I
don't
> plan on wasting another 2 days finding out how again, when I can store the
June 13, 2005 12:24:58 AM

Hi,

What Wesley means is that you will only find permissions available on an
NTFS drive. Regardless of whether or not simple file sharing is enabled, a
FAT32 drive does not support this feature.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

> [...]
>>have
>>access to the resource in question.
>>
>>If you disable or do not configure this setting, users will be able to
>>access the security tab.]]
>>
>>Check settings here...
>>HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\
>>Policies\Explorer
>>If there is no NoSecurityTab listing then this is not the problem.
>>Value Name: NoSecurityTab
>>Value Type: REG_DWORD
>>Value Data: 0 or 1
>>0 = Security tab will be visible
>>1 = Security tab will not be visible
>
> And this is just a FWIW. I posted the post to the group because it took 2
> days
> searching help, and online to find how to turn the security tab on. And I
> don't
> plan on wasting another 2 days finding out how again, when I can store the
June 13, 2005 11:51:44 PM

I posted everything that I knew of as to why Security tab(s) do not get
displayed.

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:7g3pa1hqffg352fjp4568jg9p225l8qhps@4ax.com,
> [...]
>> all users that have access to the resource in question.
>>
>> If you disable or do not configure this setting, users will be able to
>> access the security tab.]]
>>
>> Check settings here...
>> HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\
>> Policies\Explorer
>> If there is no NoSecurityTab listing then this is not the problem.
>> Value Name: NoSecurityTab
>> Value Type: REG_DWORD
>> Value Data: 0 or 1
>> 0 = Security tab will be visible
>> 1 = Security tab will not be visible
>
> And this is just a FWIW. I posted the post to the group because it took 2
> days searching help, and online to find how to turn the security tab on.
> And I don't plan on wasting another 2 days finding out how again, when I
> can store the answer in my email hints file.
June 14, 2005 1:41:15 PM

On Mon, 13 Jun 2005 19:51:44 -0600, "Wesley Vogel" <123WVogel955@comcast.net>
wrote:

>I posted everything that I knew of as to why Security tab(s) do not get
>displayed.

I was never asking any question.

I just posted the howto on finding out how to turn the security tab on in ie.
All the helps online and in the machine talk about the tab as though it were
sitting in plain view. It is hidden BY DEFAULT. Finding how to turn it on took
me 2 days because of the way it's written up in the helps. I suppose I could
have been more specific and quoted the web article that specifically explains
it. But it was a post specifically from me to me. I could have posted it in
email, but posting here, maybe others learned a fact that isn't spelled out.

I have a bunch of hints from this group that are much better than trying to use
the M$ search. .... 2 days to find out how to turn the security tab on..

Just needed to add this hint to my email hint file.
And to do that it has to arrive either in my inbox, or thru a news group.

June 14, 2005 3:44:17 PM

E-mail yourself.

Or move the message from Drafts to Inbox.

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:i6nta1tqcm62rscrjdkl0c8crhjuulfqqu@4ax.com,
Husky <cbminfo@toast.net> hunted and pecked:
> On Mon, 13 Jun 2005 19:51:44 -0600, "Wesley Vogel"
> <123WVogel955@comcast.net> wrote:
>
>> I posted everything that I knew of as to why Security tab(s) do not get
>> displayed.
>
> I was never asking any question.
>
> I just posted the howto on finding out how to turn the security tab on in
> ie. All the helps online and in the machine talk about the tab as though
> it were sitting in plain view. It is hidden BY DEFAULT. Finding how to
> turn it on took me 2 days because of the way it's written up in the
> helps. I suppose I could have been more specific and quoted the web
> article that specifically explains it. But it was a post specifically
> from me to me. I could have posted it in email, but posting here, maybe
> others learned a fact that isn't spelled out.
>
> I have a bunch of hints from this group that are much better than trying
> to use the M$ search. .... 2 days to find out how to turn the security
> tab on..
>
> Just needed to add this hint to my email hint file.
> And to do that it has to arrive either in my inbox, or thru a news group.
>
> --
> more pix @ http://members.toast.net/cbminfo/index.html
Anonymous
June 14, 2005 9:08:52 PM

On Tue, 14 Jun 2005 11:44:17 -0600, "Wesley Vogel" <123WVogel955@comcast.net>
wrote:

>E-mail yourself.
>
>Or move the message from Drafts to Inbox.

Well for one thing this seemed to do exactly what I figured. It stirred up
plenty of info. Info related that also made it to my hints file. But there's
little sense in going any further with it.

June 14, 2005 9:08:53 PM

Well, there ya go. :-)

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.