How do I plug in my phone headset without ....

June 12, 2005 2:47:44 PM

having to take the plug out of where my speakers are plugged? On a Dell
Dimension desktop

More about : plug phone headset

Anonymous
June 12, 2005 4:51:29 PM

Purchase a set of desktop speakers which have an
auxiliary headset jack.

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"miscellaneousmedia" wrote:

| having to take the plug out of where my speakers are plugged? On a Dell
| Dimension desktop
June 12, 2005 5:09:01 PM

Did you read the instructions you got with the phone headset? Some are
single jacks and some have two for speakers and mike.
Check your Dell PC, on the back there should be two ports, one for the
speaker jack and one for the mike next to each other. Check it out!
--
Some days you're the windshield,
some days you're the bug.

"miscellaneousmedia@yahoo.com" wrote:

> having to take the plug out of where my speakers are plugged? On a Dell
> Dimension desktop

June 12, 2005 5:49:56 PM

miscellaneousmedia wrote:
> having to take the plug out of where my speakers are plugged? On a
> Dell Dimension desktop

If you have only one output plug for speakers/audio out - then just like
every other thing where there is one and you want two - you have to
improvise. Have an outlet in a room, two plugs.. But you need 4? You buy a
outlet strip and plug into one of the plugs.. Increasing your number of
outlets by the number on the strip minus one. Same theory here..

First make sure you only have one output plug.. Some systems have one on the
front and one on the back. If you only have one then your only choice is
either to invest in speakers that have a headset input or purchase a
splitter.. And with the splitter - you can be assured that the sound to the
speakers and the sound to the headset will both always be live - meaning it
won't likely work like you want.

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

You can buy a splitter at Radio Shack or at most stores that sell audio
products. I have a little device that I found long ago that will let you
switch between speakers and headphones at the tap of a button. Unfortunately
the device has no markings on it so I can't tell you who manufactured it.

"Shenan Stanley" wrote:

> miscellaneousmedia wrote:
> > having to take the plug out of where my speakers are plugged? On a
> > Dell Dimension desktop
>
> If you have only one output plug for speakers/audio out - then just like
> every other thing where there is one and you want two - you have to
> improvise. Have an outlet in a room, two plugs.. But you need 4? You buy a
> outlet strip and plug into one of the plugs.. Increasing your number of
> outlets by the number on the strip minus one. Same theory here..
>
> First make sure you only have one output plug.. Some systems have one on the
> front and one on the back. If you only have one then your only choice is
> either to invest in speakers that have a headset input or purchase a
> splitter.. And with the splitter - you can be assured that the sound to the
> speakers and the sound to the headset will both always be live - meaning it
> won't likely work like you want.
>
> --
> Shenan Stanley
> MS-MVP

June 12, 2005 6:08:59 PM

miscellaneousmedia@yahoo.com wrote:
> having to take the plug out of where my speakers are
> plugged? On a Dell Dimension desktop

The latest Dell models have a front audio connector which you
can plug headphones into. It's next to the USB connector
towards the bottom of the tower.

Which Dimension model do you have?

Nepatsfan
Anonymous
June 12, 2005 6:25:09 PM

usasma wrote:
> You can buy a splitter at Radio Shack or at most stores that sell
> audio products. I have a little device that I found long ago that
> will let you switch between speakers and headphones at the tap of a
> button. Unfortunately the device has no markings on it so I can't
> tell you who manufactured it.

I have (likely) the same device.. It even has microphone imput/outputs.
A half-moon shaped push-button device.

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

> miscellaneousmedia wrote:
> > having to take the plug out of where my speakers are plugged? On a
> > Dell Dimension desktop
>
> Shenan Stanley wrote:
> > If you have only one output plug for speakers/audio out - then just
> > like every other thing where there is one and you want two - you
> > have to improvise. Have an outlet in a room, two plugs.. But you
> > need 4? You buy a outlet strip and plug into one of the plugs..
> >Increasing your number of outlets by the number on the strip minus
> > one. Same theory here..
> >
> > First make sure you only have one output plug.. Some systems have
> > one on the front and one on the back. If you only have one then
> > your only choice is either to invest in speakers that have a headset
> > input or purchase a splitter.. And with the splitter - you can be
> > assured that the sound to the speakers and the sound to the headset
> > will both always be live - meaning it won't likely work like you
> > want.
>
> usasma wrote:
> > You can buy a splitter at Radio Shack or at most stores that sell
> > audio products. I have a little device that I found long ago that
> > will let you switch between speakers and headphones at the tap of a
> > button. Unfortunately the device has no markings on it so I can't
> > tell you who manufactured it.
>
> I have (likely) the same device.. It even has microphone imput/outputs.
> A half-moon shaped push-button device.
>
> --
> Shenan Stanley
> MS-MVP

June 13, 2005 4:16:38 PM

Dimension 3000. Dells says i need an audio card that I have to install.
$100. This true?

Nepatsfan wrote:
> miscellaneousmedia@yahoo.com wrote:
> > having to take the plug out of where my speakers are
> > plugged? On a Dell Dimension desktop
>
> The latest Dell models have a front audio connector which you
> can plug headphones into. It's next to the USB connector
> towards the bottom of the tower.
>
> Which Dimension model do you have?
>
> Nepatsfan
Anonymous
June 13, 2005 6:26:53 PM

miscellaneousmedia wrote:
> Dimension 3000. Dells says i need an audio card that I have to
> install. $100. This true?

No - read the other responses.
I'll even add something..
http://www.frontx.com/

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

What happens when you plug your headphones into the front audio
connector?

If that doesn't work, you can try the other suggestions that
were posted (a splitter/switch or new speakers with a headphone
jack).

If you're expecting to have the sound be available from your
speakers and your headphones at the same time then I believe
you would have to install a separate sound card. You might want
to shop around for a better price than Dell's.

Good luck

Nepatsfan

miscellaneousmedia@yahoo.com wrote:
> Dimension 3000. Dells says i need an audio card that I have
> to install. $100. This true?
>
> Nepatsfan wrote:
>> miscellaneousmedia@yahoo.com wrote:
>>> having to take the plug out of where my speakers are
>>> plugged? On a Dell Dimension desktop
>>
>> The latest Dell models have a front audio connector which
>> you can plug headphones into. It's next to the USB connector
>> towards the bottom of the tower.
>>
>> Which Dimension model do you have?
>>
>> Nepatsfan
Anonymous
June 13, 2005 8:15:14 PM

Nepatsfan wrote:
> If you're expecting to have the sound be available from your
> speakers and your headphones at the same time then I believe
> you would have to install a separate sound card. You might want
> to shop around for a better price than Dell's.

Only if they have a front audio connector and that is what you are referring
to.
The splitter method (by the cheapest splitter) would only give you the
"sound from two places" result. =)

For better prices:

- http://www.pricewatch.com/
- http://www.dealsites.net/
- http://www.techbargains.com/
- http://www.resellerratings.com/
- http://www.epinions.com/

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

Shenan Stanley wrote:
> Nepatsfan wrote:
>> If you're expecting to have the sound be available from your
>> speakers and your headphones at the same time then I believe
>> you would have to install a separate sound card. You might
>> want to shop around for a better price than Dell's.
>
> Only if they have a front audio connector and that is what
> you are referring to.
> The splitter method (by the cheapest splitter) would only
> give you the "sound from two places" result. =)
>
> For better prices:
>
> - http://www.pricewatch.com/
> - http://www.dealsites.net/
> - http://www.techbargains.com/
> - http://www.resellerratings.com/
> - http://www.epinions.com/
>
> --
> Shenan Stanley
> MS-MVP

Thanks for pointing that out. I probably could have made my
comments a little clearer.

Nepatsfan
Anonymous
June 15, 2005 11:38:33 AM

I can get speakers and headset to work -- but not with the mic on the
headset to use internet phone. I want to have stereo going on the
spakers and use the hedset and mic all at the same time. Sorry if I was
not clear the first time. Seems I need three inputs and my tower only
has two and the speakers has one. And my hedset has a two-jack set up.
This really should be simplier. Is this why people get Macs?
!