How do I plug in my phone headset without ....

having to take the plug out of where my speakers are plugged? On a Dell
Dimension desktop
13 answers Last reply
More about plug phone headset

    Purchase a set of desktop speakers which have an
    auxiliary headset jack.

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    "miscellaneousmedia" wrote:

    | having to take the plug out of where my speakers are plugged? On a Dell
    | Dimension desktop

    Did you read the instructions you got with the phone headset? Some are
    single jacks and some have two for speakers and mike.
    Check your Dell PC, on the back there should be two ports, one for the
    speaker jack and one for the mike next to each other. Check it out!
    --
    Some days you're the windshield,
    some days you're the bug.

    miscellaneousmedia wrote:
    > having to take the plug out of where my speakers are plugged? On a
    > Dell Dimension desktop

    If you have only one output plug for speakers/audio out - then just like
    every other thing where there is one and you want two - you have to
    improvise. Have an outlet in a room, two plugs.. But you need 4? You buy a
    outlet strip and plug into one of the plugs.. Increasing your number of
    outlets by the number on the strip minus one. Same theory here..

    First make sure you only have one output plug.. Some systems have one on the
    front and one on the back. If you only have one then your only choice is
    either to invest in speakers that have a headset input or purchase a
    splitter.. And with the splitter - you can be assured that the sound to the
    speakers and the sound to the headset will both always be live - meaning it
    won't likely work like you want.

    --
    Shenan Stanley
    MS-MVP

    You can buy a splitter at Radio Shack or at most stores that sell audio
    products. I have a little device that I found long ago that will let you
    switch between speakers and headphones at the tap of a button. Unfortunately
    the device has no markings on it so I can't tell you who manufactured it.

    "Shenan Stanley" wrote:

    > miscellaneousmedia wrote:
    > > having to take the plug out of where my speakers are plugged? On a
    > > Dell Dimension desktop
    >
    > If you have only one output plug for speakers/audio out - then just like
    > every other thing where there is one and you want two - you have to
    > improvise. Have an outlet in a room, two plugs.. But you need 4? You buy a
    > outlet strip and plug into one of the plugs.. Increasing your number of
    > outlets by the number on the strip minus one. Same theory here..
    >
    > First make sure you only have one output plug.. Some systems have one on the
    > front and one on the back. If you only have one then your only choice is
    > either to invest in speakers that have a headset input or purchase a
    > splitter.. And with the splitter - you can be assured that the sound to the
    > speakers and the sound to the headset will both always be live - meaning it
    > won't likely work like you want.
    >
    > --
    > Shenan Stanley
    > MS-MVP

    miscellaneousmedia@yahoo.com wrote:
    > having to take the plug out of where my speakers are
    > plugged? On a Dell Dimension desktop

    The latest Dell models have a front audio connector which you
    can plug headphones into. It's next to the USB connector
    towards the bottom of the tower.

    Which Dimension model do you have?

    Nepatsfan

    usasma wrote:
    > You can buy a splitter at Radio Shack or at most stores that sell
    > audio products. I have a little device that I found long ago that
    > will let you switch between speakers and headphones at the tap of a
    > button. Unfortunately the device has no markings on it so I can't
    > tell you who manufactured it.

    I have (likely) the same device.. It even has microphone imput/outputs.
    A half-moon shaped push-button device.

    --
    Shenan Stanley
    MS-MVP

    > miscellaneousmedia wrote:
    > > having to take the plug out of where my speakers are plugged? On a
    > > Dell Dimension desktop
    >
    > Shenan Stanley wrote:
    > > If you have only one output plug for speakers/audio out - then just
    > > like every other thing where there is one and you want two - you
    > > have to improvise. Have an outlet in a room, two plugs.. But you
    > > need 4? You buy a outlet strip and plug into one of the plugs..
    > >Increasing your number of outlets by the number on the strip minus
    > > one. Same theory here..
    > >
    > > First make sure you only have one output plug.. Some systems have
    > > one on the front and one on the back. If you only have one then
    > > your only choice is either to invest in speakers that have a headset
    > > input or purchase a splitter.. And with the splitter - you can be
    > > assured that the sound to the speakers and the sound to the headset
    > > will both always be live - meaning it won't likely work like you
    > > want.
    >
    > usasma wrote:
    > > You can buy a splitter at Radio Shack or at most stores that sell
    > > audio products. I have a little device that I found long ago that
    > > will let you switch between speakers and headphones at the tap of a
    > > button. Unfortunately the device has no markings on it so I can't
    > > tell you who manufactured it.
    >
    > I have (likely) the same device.. It even has microphone imput/outputs.
    > A half-moon shaped push-button device.
    >
    > --
    > Shenan Stanley
    > MS-MVP

    Dimension 3000. Dells says i need an audio card that I have to install.
    $100. This true?

    miscellaneousmedia wrote:
    > Dimension 3000. Dells says i need an audio card that I have to
    > install. $100. This true?

    No - read the other responses.
    I'll even add something..
    http://www.frontx.com/

    --
    Shenan Stanley
    MS-MVP

    What happens when you plug your headphones into the front audio
    connector?

    If that doesn't work, you can try the other suggestions that
    were posted (a splitter/switch or new speakers with a headphone
    jack).

    If you're expecting to have the sound be available from your
    speakers and your headphones at the same time then I believe
    you would have to install a separate sound card. You might want
    to shop around for a better price than Dell's.

    Good luck

    Nepatsfan

    Nepatsfan wrote:
    > If you're expecting to have the sound be available from your
    > speakers and your headphones at the same time then I believe
    > you would have to install a separate sound card. You might want
    > to shop around for a better price than Dell's.

    Only if they have a front audio connector and that is what you are referring
    to.
    The splitter method (by the cheapest splitter) would only give you the
    "sound from two places" result. =)

    For better prices:

    - http://www.pricewatch.com/
    - http://www.dealsites.net/
    - http://www.techbargains.com/
    - http://www.resellerratings.com/
    - http://www.epinions.com/

    --
    Shenan Stanley
    MS-MVP

    Shenan Stanley wrote:
    > Nepatsfan wrote:
    >> If you're expecting to have the sound be available from your
    >> speakers and your headphones at the same time then I believe
    >> you would have to install a separate sound card. You might
    >> want to shop around for a better price than Dell's.
    >
    > Only if they have a front audio connector and that is what
    > you are referring to.
    > The splitter method (by the cheapest splitter) would only
    > give you the "sound from two places" result. =)
    >
    > For better prices:
    >
    > - http://www.pricewatch.com/
    > - http://www.dealsites.net/
    > - http://www.techbargains.com/
    > - http://www.resellerratings.com/
    > - http://www.epinions.com/
    >
    > --
    > Shenan Stanley
    > MS-MVP

    Thanks for pointing that out. I probably could have made my
    comments a little clearer.

    Nepatsfan

    I can get speakers and headset to work -- but not with the mic on the
    headset to use internet phone. I want to have stereo going on the
    spakers and use the hedset and mic all at the same time. Sorry if I was
    not clear the first time. Seems I need three inputs and my tower only
    has two and the speakers has one. And my hedset has a two-jack set up.
    This really should be simplier. Is this why people get Macs?

Gaming Headsets Microsoft Phones Windows XP