Please help, identifying the problem.

xyz

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2002
First of all, I'm not sure if I'm posting in the right forum. But...I couldn't find a place better than this to discuss my problem.
Here is my problem:

I recently purchased my new system, <font color=blue>Pentium 2.4B, Intel Desktop board D845 GEBV2</font color=blue>. Some times when I power on my system, I get a BIOS error message that keyboard is not functional. This only happens with cold boots, never with reboots. During a cold boot I have 75% chance that my keyboard would work and rest 25%, it won't work. Also some times when I shutdown the computer, the keyboard lights (CAPS, NUMS, SCROLL) will be blinking i.e there will be current in the keyboard, though the computer has successfully shutdown. And sometimes when I turn on
the main power switch (from where the power is coming into the computer) keyboard light will start blinking indicating that current is flowing in the keyboard, though the computer is not powered on yet.

Also a couple of times, when I tried to power on the system, there was no display on the monitor nor the keyboard light turned on (which should be when you just power on your computer), though though the hard drive, cpu and other fans were running.

Both the keyboard and the mice are PS/2. Can this be a problem with the PS/2 connector on the motherboard, a Power supply problem (PSU is 300 Watts) or just something else.

I am really confused. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks for your time.

<b><font color=red><i>"All delays are dangerous in war."</b></font color=red></i>

xyz

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2002
Well, I haven't felt need to update the BIOS, because the BIOS which came with the board is quite up to date.
I have tried a serial mouse on this system, thinking that there might be some conflicts between keyboard and mice as both were PS/2, but no avail. I have tried, this keyboard on another system and it seemed to work well. Though I haven't tried a new keyboard on this system yet.

<b><font color=red><i>"All delays are dangerous in war."</b></font color=red></i>

sparky853

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2003
Thats a wierd problem. HAve you tried a USB mouse and/or Keyboard? May solve the problem. If there is an updated BIOS version, its best to install it.

Its only a 300W PSU? That sounds a little on the small side to me. You want at least a 350W PSU, and a good one at that. It could possibly be a power issue. Hey, anything is possible with computers.

If I was as sexy as I was smart.....I'd still be ugly..DAMN :mad:
**Finally made Newbie...HAPPY DANCE..HAPPY DANCE..**

pIII_Man

Splendid
Mar 19, 2003
well it seems like the psu is providing too much power hehe...na i don't think its psu...it just doesn't seem like it is...psu would be lock ups and things like that this is just plain weird...the only other thing i can think of is a short or something like that...

There is no smell better than fried silicon :evil:

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
This problem is usually caused by the PS/2 connector on the mainboard, BUT...I've seen a lot of boards that would work with some keyboards and not with others, based on the quality of the connection to the pins of course, where some boards had THINNER pins than others!

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>