Ethernet Driver For HP Pavilion A230N?

I can't seem to find a driver that will work for the ethernet adapter
in my HP Pavilion A230N. I still have access to the recovery partition
but do not have access to the HP Tools that came installed with the
system.
Can anyone point me in the right direction.
Thanks in advance,
Dave
8 answers Last reply
More about ethernet driver pavilion a230n

    According to the HP web site, the Ethernet is "Integrated 10/100Base-T
    networking interface". Not much help.

    Two approaches to figuring out which Ethernet driver to use:

    1. Open up the chassis and look for an Ethernet chip. Likely possibilities are
    Realtek and Intel. I'll bet on the former, which is less expensive and favored
    for motherboards designed out there on the Pacific Rim. If Ethernet is
    integrated into one of the main motherboard chips, this approach will not work
    well.

    2. Asus manufactured the board, so go to the Asus web site and look for boards
    with on-board Ethernet and supporting the same AMD CPU in your system. Asus
    would not have changed the Ethernet support from whatever it uses on its
    standard boards.

    There are also some fairly technical bits of software which can read out chipset
    and interface information to tell you what hardware is on the board.

    .... Ben Myers

    On Sat, 18 Sep 2004 11:57:58 -0400, Sunking <sunking@sol.com> wrote:

    >I can't seem to find a driver that will work for the ethernet adapter
    >in my HP Pavilion A230N. I still have access to the recovery partition
    >but do not have access to the HP Tools that came installed with the
    >system.
    >Can anyone point me in the right direction.
    >Thanks in advance,
    >Dave

    Dave,

    On page
    http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?product=330086&lang=en&lc=en&cc=us&Submit=go&dlc=en&docname=c00006476

    you will find Ethernet 10/100 LAN Supplier Realtek 8201BL

    Try looking on the realtek site.

    craigm

    > According to the HP web site, the Ethernet is "Integrated 10/100Base-T
    > networking interface". Not much help.
    >
    > Two approaches to figuring out which Ethernet driver to use:
    >
    > 1. Open up the chassis and look for an Ethernet chip. Likely
    possibilities are
    > Realtek and Intel. I'll bet on the former, which is less expensive and
    favored
    > for motherboards designed out there on the Pacific Rim. If Ethernet is
    > integrated into one of the main motherboard chips, this approach will not
    work
    > well.
    >
    > 2. Asus manufactured the board, so go to the Asus web site and look for
    boards
    > with on-board Ethernet and supporting the same AMD CPU in your system.
    Asus
    > would not have changed the Ethernet support from whatever it uses on its
    > standard boards.
    >
    > There are also some fairly technical bits of software which can read out
    chipset
    > and interface information to tell you what hardware is on the board.
    >
    > ... Ben Myers
    >
    > On Sat, 18 Sep 2004 11:57:58 -0400, Sunking <sunking@sol.com> wrote:
    >
    > >I can't seem to find a driver that will work for the ethernet adapter
    > >in my HP Pavilion A230N. I still have access to the recovery partition
    > >but do not have access to the HP Tools that came installed with the
    > >system.
    > >Can anyone point me in the right direction.
    > >Thanks in advance,
    > >Dave

    Realtek does not have enough clout in the industry yet to get its drivers
    included on Microsoft Windows install CDs. That may change. 3COM has all but
    abandoned the Ethernet market, whether integrated on the motherboard or a
    freestanding card. That leaves Intel as the only "name" brand supplier of both
    integrated and card flavors. Realtek, Linksys (Cisco), D-Link, Netgear are all
    competing to establish themselves as a second name brand.

    I could not find the referenced URL when I looked on the HP web site. A tribute
    to its usual poor organization and missing links... Ben Myers

    On Sat, 18 Sep 2004 12:55:17 -0500, "craigm" <none@domain.invalid> wrote:

    >Dave,
    >
    >On page
    >http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?product=330086&lang=en&lc=en&cc=us&Submit=go&dlc=en&docname=c00006476
    >
    >you will find Ethernet 10/100 LAN Supplier Realtek 8201BL
    >
    >Try looking on the realtek site.
    >
    >craigm

    >> According to the HP web site, the Ethernet is "Integrated 10/100Base-T
    >> networking interface". Not much help.
    >>
    >> Two approaches to figuring out which Ethernet driver to use:
    >>
    >> 1. Open up the chassis and look for an Ethernet chip. Likely
    >possibilities are
    >> Realtek and Intel. I'll bet on the former, which is less expensive and
    >favored
    >> for motherboards designed out there on the Pacific Rim. If Ethernet is
    >> integrated into one of the main motherboard chips, this approach will not
    >work
    >> well.
    >>
    >> 2. Asus manufactured the board, so go to the Asus web site and look for
    >boards
    >> with on-board Ethernet and supporting the same AMD CPU in your system.
    >Asus
    >> would not have changed the Ethernet support from whatever it uses on its
    >> standard boards.
    >>
    >> There are also some fairly technical bits of software which can read out
    >chipset
    >> and interface information to tell you what hardware is on the board.
    >>
    >> ... Ben Myers
    >>
    >> On Sat, 18 Sep 2004 11:57:58 -0400, Sunking <sunking@sol.com> wrote:
    >>
    >> >I can't seem to find a driver that will work for the ethernet adapter
    >> >in my HP Pavilion A230N. I still have access to the recovery partition
    >> >but do not have access to the HP Tools that came installed with the
    >> >system.
    >> >Can anyone point me in the right direction.
    >> >Thanks in advance,
    >> >Dave

    When I entered in the model info in the HP web site support and drivers menu,
    then clicked on Product Specifications, I found the overall system specs with an
    URL which was supposed to go to the motherboard specs. Instead, I got HP's
    equivalent of a 404 Not Found response.

    How did you navigate to the cited page, Craig? ... Ben Myers

    On Sat, 18 Sep 2004 18:26:08 GMT, ben_myers_spam_me_not @ charter.net (Ben
    Myers) wrote:

    >Realtek does not have enough clout in the industry yet to get its drivers
    >included on Microsoft Windows install CDs. That may change. 3COM has all but
    >abandoned the Ethernet market, whether integrated on the motherboard or a
    >freestanding card. That leaves Intel as the only "name" brand supplier of both
    >integrated and card flavors. Realtek, Linksys (Cisco), D-Link, Netgear are all
    >competing to establish themselves as a second name brand.
    >
    >I could not find the referenced URL when I looked on the HP web site. A tribute
    >to its usual poor organization and missing links... Ben Myers
    >
    >On Sat, 18 Sep 2004 12:55:17 -0500, "craigm" <none@domain.invalid> wrote:
    >
    >>Dave,
    >>
    >>On page
    >>http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?product=330086&lang=en&lc=en&cc=us&Submit=go&dlc=en&docname=c00006476
    >>
    >>you will find Ethernet 10/100 LAN Supplier Realtek 8201BL
    >>
    >>Try looking on the realtek site.
    >>
    >>craigm
    >>
    >><ben_myers_spam_me_not @ charter.net (Ben Myers)> wrote in message
    >>> According to the HP web site, the Ethernet is "Integrated 10/100Base-T
    >>> networking interface". Not much help.
    >>>
    >>> Two approaches to figuring out which Ethernet driver to use:
    >>>
    >>> 1. Open up the chassis and look for an Ethernet chip. Likely
    >>possibilities are
    >>> Realtek and Intel. I'll bet on the former, which is less expensive and
    >>favored
    >>> for motherboards designed out there on the Pacific Rim. If Ethernet is
    >>> integrated into one of the main motherboard chips, this approach will not
    >>work
    >>> well.
    >>>
    >>> 2. Asus manufactured the board, so go to the Asus web site and look for
    >>boards
    >>> with on-board Ethernet and supporting the same AMD CPU in your system.
    >>Asus
    >>> would not have changed the Ethernet support from whatever it uses on its
    >>> standard boards.
    >>>
    >>> There are also some fairly technical bits of software which can read out
    >>chipset
    >>> and interface information to tell you what hardware is on the board.
    >>>
    >>> ... Ben Myers

    Ben,
    This path works.

    www.hp.com
    enter a230n in search
    select manuals page,
    on left, select the a230n home
    to get here
    http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/product?product=330086&cc=us&lc=en&dlc=en&

    select product information
    select motherboard specs

    It is an obscure path because the normal path thru drivers and support seems
    to be broken in at least two places. I suspect they are having some server
    problems at the moment.

    craigm

    > When I entered in the model info in the HP web site support and drivers
    menu,
    > then clicked on Product Specifications, I found the overall system specs
    with an
    > URL which was supposed to go to the motherboard specs. Instead, I got
    HP's
    > equivalent of a 404 Not Found response.
    >
    > How did you navigate to the cited page, Craig? ... Ben Myers
    >
    > On Sat, 18 Sep 2004 18:26:08 GMT, ben_myers_spam_me_not @ charter.net (Ben
    > Myers) wrote:
    >
    > >Realtek does not have enough clout in the industry yet to get its drivers
    > >included on Microsoft Windows install CDs. That may change. 3COM has
    all but
    > >abandoned the Ethernet market, whether integrated on the motherboard or a
    > >freestanding card. That leaves Intel as the only "name" brand supplier
    of both
    > >integrated and card flavors. Realtek, Linksys (Cisco), D-Link, Netgear
    are all
    > >competing to establish themselves as a second name brand.
    > >
    > >I could not find the referenced URL when I looked on the HP web site. A
    tribute
    > >to its usual poor organization and missing links... Ben Myers
    > >
    > >On Sat, 18 Sep 2004 12:55:17 -0500, "craigm" <none@domain.invalid> wrote:
    > >
    > >>Dave,
    > >>
    > >>On page
    >
    >>http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?product=330086&lang=en&lc=en&c
    c=us&Submit=go&dlc=en&docname=c00006476

    > >>you will find Ethernet 10/100 LAN Supplier Realtek 8201BL
    > >>
    > >>Try looking on the realtek site.
    > >>
    > >>craigm
    > >>
    > >><ben_myers_spam_me_not @ charter.net (Ben Myers)> wrote in message

    > >>possibilities are
    > >>favored
    > >>work

    > >>boards
    > >>Asus

    > >>chipset

    Here's another URL, this one for the Asus A7N8X-X, which is remarkably similar
    to HP's A7N8X model. Asus has a whole series of A7N8X motherboards, all of
    which use the same drivers. Some boards have some features, some have other
    features. The HP OEM board has its feature set, and they all use the same basic
    motherboard chipset, graphics, audio, and Ethernet.

    http://www.asus.com.tw/support/download/item.aspx?ModelName=A7N8X-X&Type=All&SLanguage=en-us

    .... Ben Myers

    On Sat, 18 Sep 2004 12:55:17 -0500, "craigm" <none@domain.invalid> wrote:

    >Dave,
    >
    >On page
    >http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?product=330086&lang=en&lc=en&cc=us&Submit=go&dlc=en&docname=c00006476
    >
    >you will find Ethernet 10/100 LAN Supplier Realtek 8201BL
    >
    >Try looking on the realtek site.
    >
    >craigm

    >> According to the HP web site, the Ethernet is "Integrated 10/100Base-T
    >> networking interface". Not much help.
    >>
    >> Two approaches to figuring out which Ethernet driver to use:
    >>
    >> 1. Open up the chassis and look for an Ethernet chip. Likely
    >possibilities are
    >> Realtek and Intel. I'll bet on the former, which is less expensive and
    >favored
    >> for motherboards designed out there on the Pacific Rim. If Ethernet is
    >> integrated into one of the main motherboard chips, this approach will not
    >work
    >> well.
    >>
    >> 2. Asus manufactured the board, so go to the Asus web site and look for
    >boards
    >> with on-board Ethernet and supporting the same AMD CPU in your system.
    >Asus
    >> would not have changed the Ethernet support from whatever it uses on its
    >> standard boards.
    >>
    >> There are also some fairly technical bits of software which can read out
    >chipset
    >> and interface information to tell you what hardware is on the board.
    >>
    >> ... Ben Myers
    >>
    >> On Sat, 18 Sep 2004 11:57:58 -0400, Sunking <sunking@sol.com> wrote:
    >>
    >> >I can't seem to find a driver that will work for the ethernet adapter
    >> >in my HP Pavilion A230N. I still have access to the recovery partition
    >> >but do not have access to the HP Tools that came installed with the
    >> >system.
    >> >Can anyone point me in the right direction.
    >> >Thanks in advance,
    >> >Dave

  7. Here is your HP Pavilion a230n driver fix: http://members.driverguide.com/driver/detail.php?driverid=228115&action=filfo

    I had to reinstall Windows XP due to a nasty virus that allowed crooks to steal my identity. Grr....After the reinstall my ability to connect to the internet disappeared. It was a driver issue. After much research I found the above link which done the trick.

    Tips: You must go to the Device Manager and right click on the (yellow) error icons and select Update Driver and point the the file(s) that you just downloaded.

    d-
  8. Hey Guys:

    It seems that I got confused that it's really difficult to find the driver while in fact it was already installed automatically by windows after a restart ("windows as finished installing devices, would you like to restart?")

    The XP I'm using is a SP3 build Pro.

    Installing the nForce so called same motherboard driver really messed up my graphics, got a screen of pixeled blocks, had to boot in safe mode and reinstall the NVIDIA driver from the hp site for the a230n

    Yeah can you believe it? I didn't know I had connectivity until I saw the auto update shield asking me to update...

    (hidden ethernet icon by default)

Hewlett Packard Ethernet Card HP Pavilion Computers