IBM Makes World's Smallest 3D Map with Nanotech

Status
Not open for further replies.

tommysch

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
[citation][nom]eklipz330[/nom]omg imagine the number of formulas i can right on my thumbnail for finals with this...[/citation]

But the 10 foot tall microscope that you'll need to read them might give you away.

micr0be

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2009
[citation][nom]TommySch[/nom]But the 10 foot tall microscope that you'll need to read them might give you away.[/citation]

also he spelled "right" wrong, so i think they'll just pretend they can't see anything anyway, and let him cheat.

G

[citation][nom]eklipz330[/nom]omg imagine the number of formulas i can right on my thumbnail for finals with this...[/citation]
Never mind your thumbnail, use a contact lens instead. :D

But then again, everyone in the class would be wondering why you look so cross eyed during the test!

longshotthe1st

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2010
[citation][nom]Renegade_Warrior[/nom]Never mind your thumbnail, use a contact lens instead. But then again, everyone in the class would be wondering why you look so cross eyed during the test![/citation]

They should be looking at their own papers, not him!! lol

darkknight22

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2009
[citation][nom]Minus_i7[/nom]Clearly what the eco-terrorists were trying to stop.[/citation]

exactly, because this is going to DESTROY the environment

Doctor-boom

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2008
For all we know the map could be purple with yellow dots: it's viewed using a scanning electron microscope, which does not see colors, at ALL. You can color code the image differently than black and white, but it really look nicer this way. Note that you are not "seeing" the object really: a detector is telling the machine how many electrons came from that point on your sample, so it does not always work in the same way as a light generated image.

[citation][nom]formin[/nom]go IBM !!!!!!this removes 3 or 4 steps in the chip fabrication process[/citation]
Well yes, but this would serialize a massively parallel process, to use the terms inappropriately. This method lays down the atoms(?) one at a time, while photolithography lays one layer down all at once. I think that the gain of skipping multiple expose and etch steps would be swamped by the cost of building the circuit atom-by-atom.

It might be a good way to make prototypes. OTOH, with a reasonable half-billion transistors in a chip, if the machine could lay down a thousand gates a second, it would take (punching buttons instead of using mind) five days and change to make one chip.

Status
Not open for further replies.