truth_bajaj

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2003
I use a 52X CDROM. It is not reading any CD and shows the message "please insert a cd into the drive". the service man says it need to replace its censor but says that there is no guarantee that it will work for long. He suggests that i buy a new CDROM instead. Should i Buy a new CDROM or just get the censor replaced.

Sachin

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I've seen that with NEW drives, especially ones by BTC. The problem was that these drives take a long time to spin up. When I would try to install a program (including Windows), it would read a file, start installing the file, and the drive would spin down. When the program went to look for the next file, it would give the CD-ROM around 3 seconds to respond, but it would take the CD-ROM longer than that to spin back up!

I gave up on those cheap high speed CD-ROMs. Non-defective and still not working for programs.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

pIII_Man

Splendid
Mar 19, 2003
Thats why you should read the reviews before you buy a drive...i have had problems very simular to this when i try to get my sony cd-rom drive to read cd-r media.

There is no smell better than fried silicon :evil:

endyen

Splendid
Before you do anything, why not pull the sucker apart and use some alcohol to clean the lense. I did that with my 52X last year when it stopped reading, and it has been fine ever since.