bored with P3,now I will live with celeron

varghesejim

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2003
Hi guys,I posted my peculiar problem with my motherboard earlier but not get a reasonable answer.After 5 years of service, my motherboard stopped working with the processor(P3).I tried changing the processor to celeron and it is working fine!After I checked the P3 with another M/B and that processor is also working fine.I tried several times to join the P3 and motherboard but it is not working.Why it is not working together one day, after 5 years of service?Please tell me the exact reason.I got so many opinions from people such as a bios update.But it was working ,and one fine day what happened?

Eagerly waiting for your valuable reply

pIII_Man

Splendid
Mar 19, 2003
I need more specs

Ya wana know my opinion though...

Many celerons had a 66mhz fsb which is much easier on a motherboard/memory than 100mhz fsb or 133mhz fsb of the pIII's. So there is a good chance your memory/board is slowly dying...make sure you have no leaking capacators.

There is no smell better than fried silicon :evil:

varghesejim

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2003
----------------------------------------------------------
there is a good chance your memory/board is slowly dying
---------------------------------------------------------
A slowly dying memory/board can work with lower frequencies?can u explain?

pIII_Man

Splendid
Mar 19, 2003
just saying that something is dying...running your system at slower FSBs puts the system under much less stress...i ask again...plz give specs...

varghesejim

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2003
Vesta 810E MB
PC 133 RAM(not a good brand)
P3 933 MHz
Inbuilt graphics

and for all people replied,There is nothing wrong with the PS and RAM>I already checked it with other RAMs and PS.

I got a different answer from a man.He told I have attach the CMOS battery upside down(change the polarity).Any body can see sense ?

pIII_Man

Splendid
Mar 19, 2003
yes...he is basically telling you to clear your cmos (bios). It would not help much as it seems that your computer will run just fine with the celeron...however it is worth a try. Make sure your power supply is off when you try this...

pIII_Man

Splendid
Mar 19, 2003
Do you have another motherboard that you could test the PIII and the memory in together...or another module of memory...i still say its memory

There is no smell better than fried silicon :evil: <P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by pIII_Man on 07/19/03 00:20 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

endyen

Splendid
Rather than clearing the cmos try resetting it. Then go to the memory settings and redo the latancies much higher, maybe even set the fsb to 100. Then try the P111 again. If this works, it means that your memory cct. is starting to break down. It can no longer hold and carry the charge needed to run the ram at normal settings and speeds.

varghesejim

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2003
he is basically telling you to clear your cmos (bios).
--------------------------------------------------
why i have to change polarity for doing that

pIII_Man

Splendid
Mar 19, 2003
no...by putting the battery in upsidedown the the battery is shorting the positive and netgitinve terminals together...that is how a bios must be cleared...it would be much easier if you just used the jumper found on almost all motherboards.

About changing bios options...that is not an option...as the second you insert a new cpu the bios will go back to defaults which the computer does not seem able to run at.

Basically you need a freind who also has a pIII or even a pII system (if they have cas 2 memory) and you need to do some memory swapping.

Is this celeron a 66mhz fsb model or a 100mhz fsb model.

varghesejim

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2003
--------------------------------------------------
he is basically telling you to clear your cmos (bios).
---------------------------------------------------
removing the battery from the motherboard itself will clear the CMOS, why I have to fit the battery upside down(and there will be any damage by changing the polarity?).What is the differences between these two approaches?

pIII_Man

Splendid
Mar 19, 2003
It takes 10 minutes to clear the bios by removing the battery it only takes like 5 seconds if you put it in upsidedown...if you look closly you are not changing the polarity as both the + and - contacts on the board are touching the same side of the battery because the positive side of the battery is much larger than the -.

If you second guess everything that i say it is gonna take an awful long time to help you.

pIII_Man

Splendid
Mar 19, 2003
new memory...that sounds like your problem...again if ya have any freinds with PIII try to see if they will let you use there mem for troubleshooting.