Network access for Windows XP

I presently have three computers connected to a peer-to-peer home
network. Two are XP (#1 & #2) and one is Windows 2000 Pro (#3). When
I boot all of these machines they log into the network just fine and
each is accessible by the other two. If computer #2 is idol for an
hour or more, it will no longer be accessible by the other two. This
machine can still access computers #1 & #3, but just can’t be accessed
by others. What should I do so that it will not time-out the network
connection? Thanks

Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/New-Users-Network-access-Windows-XP-ftopict545537.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1723085

Malke

jbink12017 wrote:

> I presently have three computers connected to a peer-to-peer home
> network. Two are XP (#1 & #2) and one is Windows 2000 Pro (#3). When
> I boot all of these machines they log into the network just fine and
> each is accessible by the other two. If computer #2 is idol for an
> hour or more, it will no longer be accessible by the other two. This
> machine can still access computers #1 & #3, but just can’t be
> accessed
> by others. What should I do so that it will not time-out the network
> connection? Thanks

On the computer that is timing out, go to the network device's
properties from Device Manager (System applet in Control Panel,
Hardware tab, Device Manager button). Expand the network devices entry
and double-click on the device you use to connect to the network. This
will bring up the Properties box. Click on Power Management and disable
"Allow Windows to turn off this device when not in use".

Malke
--
MS-MVP Windows User/Shell
Elephant Boy Computers

"Malke" wrote:
> jbink12017 wrote:
>
> > I presently have three computers connected to a peer-to-peer
> home
> > network. Two are XP (#1 & #2) and one is Windows 2000 Pro
> (#3). When
> > I boot all of these machines they log into the network just
> fine and
> > each is accessible by the other two. If computer #2 is idol
> for an
> > hour or more, it will no longer be accessible by the other
> two. This
> > machine can still access computers #1 & #3, but just can’t
> be
> > accessed
> > by others. What should I do so that it will not time-out
> the network
> > connection? Thanks
> >
> On the computer that is timing out, go to the network device's
> properties from Device Manager (System applet in Control
> Panel,
> Hardware tab, Device Manager button). Expand the network
> devices entry
> and double-click on the device you use to connect to the
> network. This
> will bring up the Properties box. Click on Power Management
> and disable
> "Allow Windows to turn off this device when not in use".
>
> Malke
> --
> MS-MVP Windows User/Shell
> Elephant Boy Computers
> www.elephantboycomputers.com
> "Don't Panic"

I appreciate your help and found everything you listed in your reply
except for "Power Management". I found under the Control Panel
"System", then went to "Hardware", then to "Device Manager" then
double clicked "Network Devices". On the Properties box there were
five tabs; General, Advanced, Drivers, Details and Resources. None of
these had "Power Management".

The network card is a Netgear FA311 and the General portion of the
Properties Box says that everything is working properly. My system
for this computer is Windows XP Home Edition. Could you be describing
a different Windows System?

Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/New-Users-Network-access-Windows-XP-ftopict545537.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1723979

Malke

jbink12017 wrote:

> "Malke" wrote:
> > jbink12017 wrote:
> >
> > > I presently have three computers connected to a peer-to-peer
> > home
> > > network. Two are XP (#1 & #2) and one is Windows 2000 Pro
> > (#3). When
> > > I boot all of these machines they log into the network just
> > fine and
> > > each is accessible by the other two. If computer #2 is idol
> > for an
> > > hour or more, it will no longer be accessible by the other
> > two. This
> > > machine can still access computers #1 & #3, but just can’t
> > be
> > > accessed
> > > by others. What should I do so that it will not time-out
> > the network
> > > connection? Thanks

> I appreciate your help and found everything you listed in your reply
> except for "Power Management". I found under the Control Panel
> "System", then went to "Hardware", then to "Device Manager" then
> double clicked "Network Devices". On the Properties box there were
> five tabs; General, Advanced, Drivers, Details and Resources. None of
> these had "Power Management".
>
> The network card is a Netgear FA311 and the General portion of the
> Properties Box says that everything is working properly. My system
> for this computer is Windows XP Home Edition. Could you be describing
> a different Windows System?

Nope, this is for Windows XP. Since you posted in an XP newsgroup, I
assumed you have Windows XP. All my Windows machines have nics and they
all have the Power Management tab. Maybe the FA311 doesn't have the
power management tab because it is an older card? If in fact this *is*
an older card, uninstall it and swap it out for a newer one. Maybe the
nic is dying. A new nic is under $20usd. See if that helps.

Malke