Someone help me please!

June 13, 2005 4:07:02 PM

I have made a complete mess of my system. I did not set up user accounts and
have been using my computer daily for school. Now, I tried to go there and
transfer the My Docs file to My files and now permissions are (?????) andI
need to chkdsk and scndsk, but cannot locate them. It's finals week THIS
week! Help!
I bought it installed, and I do have a secondary drive with the originals
and a ghost disk to download. But, I need to save my info and the other
user's. Any help?
Lyd.

More about : question

Anonymous
June 13, 2005 6:13:26 PM

OneEyeLyd wrote:
> I have made a complete mess of my system. I did not set up user
> accounts and have been using my computer daily for school. Now, I
> tried to go there and transfer the My Docs file to My files and now
> permissions are (?????) andI need to chkdsk and scndsk, but cannot
> locate them. It's finals week THIS week! Help!
> I bought it installed, and I do have a secondary drive with the
> originals and a ghost disk to download. But, I need to save my info
> and the other user's. Any help?

Deep breaths and re-explain.
What I have so far is .. well, not much.

Are you getting an access denied? Are you not finding your files? Are you
unable to log in at all?

What can you NOT do and what do you NEED to do?

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

Hi Shenan,
Fisrt of all Thank you.
I am breathing now!
logging on was never the problem, it was the permissions. I locked myself
out by createing a user for me and my other half. therefore sending my files
from before then to ??????? I don't know how to do that prperly. Obviously!
Anyway,
I have rearranged things so badly that I cannot tell you what exactly I've
done. I did however fix the problem with installing my printer. I had to call
a friend in with remote help. (That is the best feature yet!)
I was not letting windows help with the install, because it is a usb cd
install and it clearly stated to not install from add/remove hardware. So
when windows install shield popped up I canceled it, thinking it would
interfere with the installation. Duh.

I do, however, need to reconfigure windows and do not have a startup disk.
XP Pro was preinstalled at the warehouse I bought it from. Any suggestions?

Thanks again, my friend,
--
Lyd.