newbie some advice pls

Hi all

I have just bought a laptop with wifi and want to set up a home network with
my current pc and broadband connection
am looking and getting more confused , I think all I need to do is add a
wireless network pci card to my pc, purchase a access point (could some one
reccomend one??)
I basically want to be able to surf the net in any room with my laptop
(toshiba m30) , print to the printer, access the data on my main pc, I
actually think my mbaord has lan built in if that helps

any advice appreciated and model recomendations pls

Snazz
4 answers Last reply
More about newbie advice

    I have a Linksys WAP54G that has worked very well. It also does a good job
    at supporting WPA PSK and RADIUS. Netgear also makes comparable access
    points. These run about $80.

    Jeff

    "Snazz" <snazz1690AThotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Hi all
    >
    > I have just bought a laptop with wifi and want to set up a home network
    > with
    > my current pc and broadband connection
    > am looking and getting more confused , I think all I need to do is add a
    > wireless network pci card to my pc, purchase a access point (could some
    > one
    > reccomend one??)
    > I basically want to be able to surf the net in any room with my laptop
    > (toshiba m30) , print to the printer, access the data on my main pc, I
    > actually think my mbaord has lan built in if that helps
    >
    > any advice appreciated and model recomendations pls
    >
    > Snazz

    On Mon, 13 Sep 2004 19:42:25 +0100, in alt.internet.wireless , "Snazz"
    <snazz1690AThotmail.com> wrote:

    >Hi all
    >
    >I have just bought a laptop with wifi and want to set up a home network with
    >my current pc and broadband connection
    >I basically want to be able to surf the net in any room with my laptop
    >(toshiba m30) , print to the printer, access the data on my main pc, I
    >actually think my mbaord has lan built in if that helps

    You will need the following:

    1) Broadband Router. Note that different router types are required for ADSL
    and cable, check before buying..

    2) Wireless AP. You could buy a combined router/access point. This is
    cheaper but riskier (eg if the router part died, you'd need to buy an
    entire new unit)

    3) Network card in your PC. You can go totally wireless, in which case the
    PC network card would need to be wireless too. Be warned though: The PCI
    slots are normally at the BACK of the PC, behind a lot of metal casing etc.
    This can mean poor signal strength.

    4) If you want to be able to print without having the PC turned on, a
    printserver capable of connecting to your printer and router. Some routers
    have printservers built in. Be warned that most multifunction
    printer/scanner/fax units won#t work with printservers.
    --
    Mark McIntyre

    guys thanks for the advic
    Mark do you have any advice for an all dancing box that will do all I want,
    I already have a adsl modem running my current adsl connection if that helps
    but would prefer the best solution for what I want

    TIA
    Snazz

    "Mark McIntyre" <markmcintyre@spamcop.net> wrote in message
    > On Mon, 13 Sep 2004 19:42:25 +0100, in alt.internet.wireless , "Snazz"
    > <snazz1690AThotmail.com> wrote:
    >
    > >Hi all
    > >
    > >I have just bought a laptop with wifi and want to set up a home network
    with
    > >my current pc and broadband connection
    > >I basically want to be able to surf the net in any room with my laptop
    > >(toshiba m30) , print to the printer, access the data on my main pc, I
    > >actually think my mbaord has lan built in if that helps
    >
    > You will need the following:
    >
    > 1) Broadband Router. Note that different router types are required for
    ADSL
    > and cable, check before buying..
    >
    > 2) Wireless AP. You could buy a combined router/access point. This is
    > cheaper but riskier (eg if the router part died, you'd need to buy an
    > entire new unit)
    >
    > 3) Network card in your PC. You can go totally wireless, in which case the
    > PC network card would need to be wireless too. Be warned though: The PCI
    > slots are normally at the BACK of the PC, behind a lot of metal casing
    etc.
    > This can mean poor signal strength.
    >
    > 4) If you want to be able to print without having the PC turned on, a
    > printserver capable of connecting to your printer and router. Some routers
    > have printservers built in. Be warned that most multifunction
    > printer/scanner/fax units won#t work with printservers.
    > --
    > Mark McIntyre
    > CLC FAQ <http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/C-faq/top.html>
    > CLC readme: <http://www.ungerhu.com/jxh/clc.welcome.txt>

    News==----
    Newsgroups
    =---

    "Mark McIntyre" <markmcintyre@spamcop.net> wrote in message
    > On Mon, 13 Sep 2004 19:42:25 +0100, in alt.internet.wireless , "Snazz"
    > <snazz1690AThotmail.com> wrote:
    >
    >>Hi all
    >>
    >>I have just bought a laptop with wifi and want to set up a home network
    >>with
    >>my current pc and broadband connection
    >>I basically want to be able to surf the net in any room with my laptop
    >>(toshiba m30) , print to the printer, access the data on my main pc, I
    >>actually think my mbaord has lan built in if that helps
    >
    > You will need the following:
    >
    > 1) Broadband Router. Note that different router types are required for
    > ADSL
    > and cable, check before buying..
    >
    > 2) Wireless AP. You could buy a combined router/access point. This is
    > cheaper but riskier (eg if the router part died, you'd need to buy an
    > entire new unit)
    >
    > 3) Network card in your PC. You can go totally wireless, in which case the
    > PC network card would need to be wireless too. Be warned though: The PCI
    > slots are normally at the BACK of the PC, behind a lot of metal casing
    > etc.
    > This can mean poor signal strength.
    >
    > 4) If you want to be able to print without having the PC turned on, a
    > printserver capable of connecting to your printer and router. Some routers
    > have printservers built in. Be warned that most multifunction
    > printer/scanner/fax units won#t work with printservers.
    > --
    > Mark McIntyre

    Snazz,

    Since you appear to already have a working broadband connection, you must
    have an appropriate cable modem or DSL modem already. To share a single
    Internet connection with several computers requires a router (whether a
    separate hardware router, or a computer configured to act as a router). The
    router connects your LAN to another network such as the Internet.

    To create a wired LAN you need an Ethernet switch. To create a Wireless LAN
    (WLAN) you need an Access Point. A so-called Wireless Router is a router, a
    switch, and an access point all rolled into one box. This is fine if the
    location of the switch (probably near the broadband modem) and the location
    of the access-point (probably near the center of the house) are the same
    location.

    You don't need a wireless adapter for the desktop system if wiring the
    desktop to the switch isn't a problem. The wired LAN and the WLAN will be
    joined into one LAN by the access point. Just connect the desktop's
    Ethernet LAN adapter to a LAN port on the wireless router.

    If the printer is connection to the desktop (via parallel or USB), then
    you'll be able to share it with the laptop whenever the desktop is powered
    on. If you want to share the printer without turning on the desktop, use a
    print server like Mark suggested. Print servers can stand alone or can be
    built into routers.

    Ron Bandes, CCNP, CTT+, etc.

Wireless Networking