I was told to do a scandisk in Windows XP. I assume the person meant the
newer chkdsk. But is there a way of doing a scandisk in XP? The person who
told me to do this is very tech savvy, but I don't know if he had a brain
fade and really meant to do a chkdsk or if he meant scandisk.

He is gone for the week, otherwise I would ask him.

Can you do a scandisk in XP if you start at the command prompt?

Stephen Larivee wrote:
> I was told to do a scandisk in Windows XP. I assume the person meant
> the newer chkdsk. But is there a way of doing a scandisk in XP? The
> person who told me to do this is very tech savvy, but I don't know if
> he had a brain fade and really meant to do a chkdsk or if he meant
> scandisk.
> He is gone for the week, otherwise I would ask him.
>
> Can you do a scandisk in XP if you start at the command prompt?

CHKDSK
Terminology/syntax incorrect - I'm sure it was that.

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

In news:QuOdne8Mh-EPjzPfRVn-qg@comcast.com,
Stephen Larivee <NOlariveeslSPAM@yahoo.PLEASEcom> typed:

> I was told to do a scandisk in Windows XP. I assume the person
> meant
> the newer chkdsk. But is there a way of doing a scandisk in
> XP? The
> person who told me to do this is very tech savvy, but I don't
> know if
> he had a brain fade and really meant to do a chkdsk or if he
> meant
> scandisk.
> He is gone for the week, otherwise I would ask him.
>
> Can you do a scandisk in XP if you start at the command prompt?

No. There's no scandisk in XP. As you suggest, chkdsk is the XP
command, and is roughly equivalent to the scandisk of WIndows 9X.

It's possible that the person who told you to do this just had a
momentary lapse, but if I were in your shoes I would tread
carefully taking advice from him. He may not be as technically
savvy as you think.

Please reply to the newsgroup

What most folks are referring to when they tell you to use scandisk is the
error checking tool built into XP. To locate it open Windows Explorer and
right click on the drive that you want to check. Select Properties, then
select the Tools tab. It will give you and Error Checking option there that
is very similar to the old scandisk.

"Stephen Larivee" wrote:

> I was told to do a scandisk in Windows XP. I assume the person meant the
> newer chkdsk. But is there a way of doing a scandisk in XP? The person who
> told me to do this is very tech savvy, but I don't know if he had a brain
> fade and really meant to do a chkdsk or if he meant scandisk.
>
> He is gone for the week, otherwise I would ask him.
>
> Can you do a scandisk in XP if you start at the command prompt?

Thank you for both replies. I will give it a chkdsk.