Sign in with
Your question
Solved

PC shuts down w/o warning while playing Aion

Last response: in Video Games
September 28, 2009 8:15:06 PM

This has never happened with the same hardware on any other game while I was using XP. I just installed W7 RC 7100 64bit so i could take advantage of larger amounts of ram. I used to get BSOD with Fallout 3 a lot, but it never just switched off. I'm running an 800watt PS with 60A to the +12v ( i have read people have shut off issues with weak power supplies)
I am running:
Phenom 3.0ghz X4 940
Nvidia geforce260
8 gigs of ram
two 3.0Gps Sata drives
a EIDE drive as well
on an ASUS M4N72-E

I can leave it on for a day and it never shuts off. I did notice it shut off w/o warning originally while I was DLing AION thru the NCsoft launcher, but it never did it again until I started playing.

When i reboot the Bios never mentions an overheating issue. I do have the latest BIOS installed, and I am thinking maybe going back to the factory default will help.

On an added note, my machine does make a weird click sound every so often like I think it turns off, but it stays on. It is the same click sound it makes when it turns off.

Any ideas?
Thanks in advance.
September 28, 2009 8:19:55 PM

its hard to say....

can u get another psu to test it on ?
m
l
September 29, 2009 1:20:32 PM

I get a similar click, think my pc has shutdown but it appears fine, then randomly I will get a crash, full screen corruption etc and looping sound. A mate has said it could be a dying HDD but first im gonna do the good old wipe and reload! Pretty easy with a ghost image ;) 
m
l
Related resources
September 29, 2009 3:03:37 PM

Any time the sound starts looping that means the CPU is not updating the sound card and has probably locked up. The most likely causes are overheating, low/unstable voltage or defective/overclocked RAM.

m
l
September 29, 2009 3:39:45 PM

cant be cpu (i hope) as runs nice and cool and no tinkered voltages.. I will start with memtest then! thx.
m
l
September 29, 2009 4:17:01 PM

The click I hear is not from speakers, it is mechanical in nature. If I had the speakers turned off it still makes the sound. And I get a straight crash to powerlessness. No juice is running to the PC. Since the last time it happened I installed ASUS AI SUite 1.05.32 and the Cool n Quiet Utilities from the ASUS website for W7. Unfortunately they don't have PC Probe II compatible yet (W7 stops the install) or I would be able to monitor my system temps. Speaking of, is there anything out there other than Speed Fan for that?

Anyway, I don't have another PSU to try, but I really don't think it is that since it is practically brand new. I haven't had a problem with the game shutting off my PC since installing the ASUS utilities mentioned above (played for 8 hours last night w/o issue), but I am still kinda waiting for it to happen.
m
l
September 29, 2009 6:26:54 PM

Captainhero said:
cant be cpu (i hope) as runs nice and cool and no tinkered voltages.. I will start with memtest then! thx.

Could also be the graphics card overheating and locking up, preventing the CPU from talking to it; my P4 PC randomly locks up in the summer and it normally starts with display corruption so I'm guessing that's the GPU overheating and not the CPU (though I guess the CPU could be sending garbage data to the GPU).
m
l
October 9, 2009 3:54:46 AM

This happens to me as well with Aion and Windows 7 (RTM) 32bit running on a 17" MacBook Pro (Santa Rosa 3.1). I have almost 500GB of Steam games on an external USB drive and this one shuts down the computer pretty regularly -- as if someone yanks the power from the system. The mechanical sound I hear is the same that I hear when I manually power off the laptop by holding down the power button.
m
l
October 9, 2009 9:19:29 PM

I swapped out some ram and it actually has been running fine for about a week up until last night, it did exactly what jmayes said, it just turned off. If it is my GPU or my CPU overheating, can you guys recommend some software that will monitor these correctly. I've tried Speedfan before but each core always reads differently from one another and the GPU says 70 degrees C, which seems a bit off. i still get the mechanical clicking sound like it powers off, but I need to see if it is doing it just when I use Aion or anytime im on my PC.
m
l

Best solution

October 10, 2009 3:45:47 AM
!