network win xp with win 2k

I just added a windows xp computer to my home lan. The other computers are
win2k. I cannot seem to get the other computers to see the winxp machine,
and the winxp cannot see the win2k computers. I am proficient (kinda) in
getting other win2k machines to see each other...

Thanks.

If SP2 is installed,open the firewall,exceptions,add programs as needed,add
ports as needed to communicate.

"krhine" wrote:

> I just added a windows xp computer to my home lan. The other computers are
> win2k. I cannot seem to get the other computers to see the winxp machine,
> and the winxp cannot see the win2k computers. I am proficient (kinda) in
> getting other win2k machines to see each other...
>
> Thanks.

Malke

Andrew E. wrote:

> If SP2 is installed,open the firewall,exceptions,add programs as
> needed,add ports as needed to communicate.
>
> "krhine" wrote:
>
>> I just added a windows xp computer to my home lan. The other
>> computers are
>> win2k. I cannot seem to get the other computers to see the winxp
>> machine,
>> and the winxp cannot see the win2k computers. I am proficient
>> (kinda) in getting other win2k machines to see each other...
>>
>> Thanks.

While you will need to set XP's firewall to allow lan traffic, you will
not need to mess about with adding programs as exceptions. This would
have no effect on making the lan work. On the XP computer, run the
Network Setup Wizard.

On the Windows 2000 computers (and I assume you have a Workgroup since
this is a home lan), create identical user accounts and passwords to
match the ones on the new XP machine.

That should take care of it. Here are some links in case you want more
info:

http://www.practicallynetworked.com/sharing/xp/addxp.htm - Adding XP to
an existing network
http://www.practicallynetworked.com/sharing/xp/filesharing.htm (Home)

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com

+----------+
| PLEASE |
| DO NOT |
| FEED THE |
| TROLLS |
+----------+
| |
| |
.\|.||/..
> Andrew E. wrote:
>
> > If SP2 is installed,open the firewall,exceptions,add programs as
> > needed,add ports as needed to communicate.
> >
> > "krhine" wrote:
> >
> >> I just added a windows xp computer to my home lan. The other
> >> computers are
> >> win2k. I cannot seem to get the other computers to see the winxp
> >> machine,
> >> and the winxp cannot see the win2k computers. I am proficient
> >> (kinda) in getting other win2k machines to see each other...
> >>
> >> Thanks.
> >>

> While you will need to set XP's firewall to allow lan traffic, you will
> not need to mess about with adding programs as exceptions. This would
> have no effect on making the lan work. On the XP computer, run the
> Network Setup Wizard.
>
> On the Windows 2000 computers (and I assume you have a Workgroup since
> this is a home lan), create identical user accounts and passwords to
> match the ones on the new XP machine.
>
> That should take care of it. Here are some links in case you want more
> info:
>
> http://www.practicallynetworked.com/sharing/xp/addxp.htm - Adding XP to
> an existing network
> http://www.practicallynetworked.com/sharing/xp/filesharing.htm (Home)
> http://www.bcmaven.com/networking/faq.htm
>
> Malke
> --
> Elephant Boy Computers
> www.elephantboycomputers.com
> "Don't Panic!"
> MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

GTS

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2003

XP Pro or Home? If Pro is simple file sharing enabled or disabled?
--

"krhine" <krhine@nothing.net> wrote in message
>I just added a windows xp computer to my home lan. The other computers are
> win2k. I cannot seem to get the other computers to see the winxp machine,
> and the winxp cannot see the win2k computers. I am proficient (kinda) in
> getting other win2k machines to see each other...
>
> Thanks.

Gordon

"Rita Ä Berkowitz" <ritaberk2O04 @aol.com> wrote in message

> --
> +----------+
> | PLEASE |
> | DO NOT |
> | FEED THE |
> | TROLLS |
> +----------+
> | |
> | |
> .\|.||/..
> "Malke" <invalid@not-real.com> wrote in message

Eh? What the hell are you on about?

krhine wrote:
> I just added a windows xp computer to my home lan. The other computers are
> win2k. I cannot seem to get the other computers to see the winxp machine,
> and the winxp cannot see the win2k computers. I am proficient (kinda) in
> getting other win2k machines to see each other...
>
> Thanks.

On the WinXP PC, create local user account(s), with password(s),
that have the desired access privileges to the desired shares. Log on
to the other PCs using those account(s), and you will be able to
access the designated shares, provided your network is configured
properly. Also, make sure that WinXP's built-in firewall
is either disabled or set to allow exceptions for file and print sharing.

On the Win2K PC, create local user account(s), with password(s),
that have the desired access privileges to the desired shares. Log on
to the other PCs using those account(s), and you will be able to
access the designated shares, provided your network is configured
properly.

Usually, WinXP's Networking Wizard makes it simple and painless --
almost entirely automatic, in fact. There's a lot of useful,
easy-to-follow information in WinXP's Help & Support files, and here:

Home Networking
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/home/using/howto/homenet/default.asp

Networking Information
http://www.onecomputerguy.com/networking.htm

PracticallyNetworked Home
http://www.practicallynetworked.com/index.htm

Steve Winograd's Networking FAQ

Configuring Windows 2000 Professional to Work in a Peer-to-Peer
Network
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;q258717

--

Bruce Chambers