network win xp with win 2k

I just added a windows xp computer to my home lan. The other computers are
win2k. I cannot seem to get the other computers to see the winxp machine,
and the winxp cannot see the win2k computers. I am proficient (kinda) in
getting other win2k machines to see each other...

Thanks.
6 answers Last reply
More about network

    If SP2 is installed,open the firewall,exceptions,add programs as needed,add
    ports as needed to communicate.

    Andrew E. wrote:

    > If SP2 is installed,open the firewall,exceptions,add programs as
    > needed,add ports as needed to communicate.
    >
    > "krhine" wrote:
    >
    >> I just added a windows xp computer to my home lan. The other
    >> computers are
    >> win2k. I cannot seem to get the other computers to see the winxp
    >> machine,
    >> and the winxp cannot see the win2k computers. I am proficient
    >> (kinda) in getting other win2k machines to see each other...
    >>
    >> Thanks.

    While you will need to set XP's firewall to allow lan traffic, you will
    not need to mess about with adding programs as exceptions. This would
    have no effect on making the lan work. On the XP computer, run the
    Network Setup Wizard.

    On the Windows 2000 computers (and I assume you have a Workgroup since
    this is a home lan), create identical user accounts and passwords to
    match the ones on the new XP machine.

    That should take care of it. Here are some links in case you want more
    info:

    http://www.practicallynetworked.com/sharing/xp/addxp.htm - Adding XP to
    an existing network
    http://www.practicallynetworked.com/sharing/xp/filesharing.htm (Home)

    Malke
    --
    Elephant Boy Computers
    www.elephantboycomputers.com

    +----------+
    | PLEASE |
    | DO NOT |
    | FEED THE |
    | TROLLS |
    +----------+
    | |
    | |
    .\|.||/..
    > Andrew E. wrote:
    >
    > > If SP2 is installed,open the firewall,exceptions,add programs as
    > > needed,add ports as needed to communicate.
    > >
    > > "krhine" wrote:
    > >
    > >> I just added a windows xp computer to my home lan. The other
    > >> computers are
    > >> win2k. I cannot seem to get the other computers to see the winxp
    > >> machine,
    > >> and the winxp cannot see the win2k computers. I am proficient
    > >> (kinda) in getting other win2k machines to see each other...
    > >>
    > >> Thanks.
    > >>

    > While you will need to set XP's firewall to allow lan traffic, you will
    > not need to mess about with adding programs as exceptions. This would
    > have no effect on making the lan work. On the XP computer, run the
    > Network Setup Wizard.
    >
    > On the Windows 2000 computers (and I assume you have a Workgroup since
    > this is a home lan), create identical user accounts and passwords to
    > match the ones on the new XP machine.
    >
    > That should take care of it. Here are some links in case you want more
    > info:
    >
    > http://www.practicallynetworked.com/sharing/xp/addxp.htm - Adding XP to
    > an existing network
    > http://www.practicallynetworked.com/sharing/xp/filesharing.htm (Home)
    > http://www.bcmaven.com/networking/faq.htm
    >
    > Malke
    > --
    > Elephant Boy Computers
    > www.elephantboycomputers.com
    > "Don't Panic!"
    > MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

    XP Pro or Home? If Pro is simple file sharing enabled or disabled?
    --

    "Rita Ä Berkowitz" <ritaberk2O04 @aol.com> wrote in message

    > --
    > +----------+
    > | PLEASE |
    > | DO NOT |
    > | FEED THE |
    > | TROLLS |
    > +----------+
    > | |
    > | |
    > .\|.||/..
    > "Malke" <invalid@not-real.com> wrote in message

    Eh? What the hell are you on about?

    krhine wrote:
    > I just added a windows xp computer to my home lan. The other computers are
    > win2k. I cannot seem to get the other computers to see the winxp machine,
    > and the winxp cannot see the win2k computers. I am proficient (kinda) in
    > getting other win2k machines to see each other...
    >
    > Thanks.

    On the WinXP PC, create local user account(s), with password(s),
    that have the desired access privileges to the desired shares. Log on
    to the other PCs using those account(s), and you will be able to
    access the designated shares, provided your network is configured
    properly. Also, make sure that WinXP's built-in firewall
    is either disabled or set to allow exceptions for file and print sharing.

    On the Win2K PC, create local user account(s), with password(s),
    that have the desired access privileges to the desired shares. Log on
    to the other PCs using those account(s), and you will be able to
    access the designated shares, provided your network is configured
    properly.

    Usually, WinXP's Networking Wizard makes it simple and painless --
    almost entirely automatic, in fact. There's a lot of useful,
    easy-to-follow information in WinXP's Help & Support files, and here:

    Home Networking
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/home/using/howto/homenet/default.asp

    Networking Information
    http://www.onecomputerguy.com/networking.htm

    PracticallyNetworked Home
    http://www.practicallynetworked.com/index.htm

    Steve Winograd's Networking FAQ

    Configuring Windows 2000 Professional to Work in a Peer-to-Peer
    Network
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;q258717

    --

    Bruce Chambers