Status
Not open for further replies.
Right now it is doubtful you'll find one at a decent price -- everyone that has one to sell is looking to make a profit from the price hike or holding on to them to avoid having to buy at these inflated prices -- (fortunately I got mine before the prices went crazy - paid $49 for a samsung f3 -- now they want $150 for the same drive at the same place)

For the meantime you might consider something smaller like this recertified 400GB Samsung which is one of their daily deals starting at 3PM PT today for $49 to get by until prices stabilize. ( LINKIE -- look for the 3PM deal )

No -- IT starts at 3PM today -- go to the top and there are the other later offers just click on the HDD one and it will give you the details (at 3PM PT it will be linking to that deal ) --- The link goes to the current Active deal which changes at certain times of the day and today at 3PM PT it will be for a 400GB refurb Seagate Barracuda drive (sorry I said samsung before was thinking of my F3 and typed wrong !) -- It is the 4th daily special just above the product there is a line to scroll through each special with a lock by the ones that are not yet active but you can still see the product just not the price it will be which they send details about in their daily e-mail ad.

ad.jpg

Majestic One

Distinguished
May 1, 2011
seagate is crap - glass platters.

IBM is hitachi - die 2-5 days after warranty crap

maxtor you can usually shoot with a .45 pistol and they will survive (joking) but are pricey

bigfoot are tanks but small and pricey

My all time fav for performance and reliability is western digital blacks or blues. best all around price and customer service is the best.

MY BEST ADVICE is sign up for newegg's "shell shocker - deal of the day" - they just had a Western Digital 2TB black for $129 the other day - I COULDN'T BELIEVE IT!!! I have no more room for HDD's and had just spend my wad on a razerl lycosa

http://www.newegg.com/Special/ShellShocker.aspx?nm_mc=EMC-SD012012&cm_mmc=EMC-SD012012-_-SD010712-_-content-_-PromoWord

daman40k

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2011

Those are some pretty bold generalizations. I've had a Seagate and Hitachi drive for 5 and 3 years respectively and they've run without problems.

The Seagates of 5 years ago are nothing like the Seagates of today. They've gotten terribly unreliable since then.

I've had good luck with Hitachi so far *knocks on wood*. I have two (1TB and 500GB Deskstars) running in my desktop now, and have only owned them for ~2 years at most.

hi i am buying hdd :bounce: 1tb 7200rpm 64mb 6gbps at a good price do not want to hear the thailand excuse
Screw the SATA III connection on HDDs - it isn't worth anything. The Samsung F3 1TB was the fastest consumer hard drive on the market, and it only uses SATA II. The SATA III controller added extra bandwidth, but it's the platter density (of which the F3 has/had the highest at the time) that adds the speed.

danraies

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2011
I agree with daman40k. Seagate and Hitachi drives are excellent. Seagate has a very solid reputation and I rarely hear complaints except for the occasional DOA that every company has (I have used them my whole life with no bad experiences). I don't have a lot of personal experience with Hitachi and they haven't been in the HDD big-leagues all that long, but I see them put in high-powered builds that need high-performance drives quite often. And, um, @Majestic...Maxtor and Barefoot? Really?

I also agree with boiler1990 - you definitely shouldn't make it a point to get SATA 6 Gbps HDD's because the bottleneck is on the platter. If you go look at benchmarks you will see no difference at all between SATA 6 Gbps and SATA 3 Gbps mechanical hard drives. There is also little difference in cache sizes.

In regards to the original post...the Thailand "excuse" is not an excuse, but rather it's a reality. Hard drive prices are up which means that used hard drive prices are up. The value of a used item is totally independent of the original purchase price; it depends only on the market value right now. No well-informed person is going to sell you a drive at pre-flood prices.

Status
Not open for further replies.