Older mobo @ 133??PLEEZ HELP

JR6824

Distinguished
May 30, 2003
Hi i have an older BCM qs44obx mobo. I have been updating and overclocking for a while. This is my friends pc. He don't have much money(with 5 rugrats and wife!!LOL!!)I am wanting to upgrade him to a PIII 600EB as I have a couple extras here. This MOBO is only a 100 fsb. but i know the bx chip will work at higher bus speeds. I just want to know what i would have to do to allow this board to work at 133. Thanx for help Anyone

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by JR6824 on 07/19/03 02:41 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

Flinx

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2001
Is this the board?
<A HREF="http://www.bcmcom.com/tech/QS440bx/QS440BX.htm" target="_new">http://www.bcmcom.com/tech/QS440bx/QS440BX.htm</A>
If so says the bus speed is autodetected.
There are jumpers to set for the CPU speed.

This FAQ says it wont run at 133 though!
<A HREF="http://www.bcmcom.com/tech/QS440bx/QS440BXfaq.asp " target="_new">http://www.bcmcom.com/tech/QS440bx/QS440BXfaq.asp </A>
Q: Can I push this board to run at 133MHz FSB (Front Side Bus) clock speed? Chipset

A: No. The BX AGPset only supports either 66MHz or 100MHz FSB (Front Side Bus) clock speed. There is no workaround and will not have resolution in this.
------------------------------------------------------------
Q: What is the FSB (Front Side Bus) clock speed? Chipset

A: 66MHz or 100MHz depending on the CPU. All Pentium III will only have 100MHz FSB clock speed.

The loving are the daring!<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Flinx on 07/19/03 07:01 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Yes, I read that a long time ago. BCM lied and said the BX chipset won't work at 133, I've seen BE6-II's running over 170MHz FSB. It was a coppout, instead of saying "we don't want you to overclock our boards" they lied and said it was a problem with the chipset.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Look around the board and see if you can figure out a way to overclock the CPU bus. Otherwise, you'll be limited to 100MHz bus CPU's. The 600E would work, so would the 700E, 800E, 850E, 900E (ultra-rare), and 1000E (very rare).

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Yes, as long as it natively supports Coppermines, it supports the Slot-T and a Tualatin.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
It was in the database for PIII overclocking at...overclockers.com I think. I believe the bus speed was actually 172MHz. This can be achieved with some difficulty using certain PC166 memory, very relaxed timings, great northbridge cooling, no PCI cards, and a low speed Coppermine processor (like the 533EB). Also, only a handfull of AGP cards live at 115MHz port clock.

Theoretically, the 533EB should be able to go up to around 250MHz FSB! Using high voltage and a cold cooler of course. This is because it has the same core as the PIII 1000EB. Unfortunately, no boards could reach that bus speed, the highest I've heard of was a PIII 500E at 1000/200MHz bus using an i815E.

I ran my own PIII 1000EB at 1125MHz/150MHz bus, AGP clock of 100MHz, on a BX.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I saw some reviews, I believe it was OCZ that made it, but I don't think it ever went into full production.

I have a P3 550e that will do 869@158fsb . This has been retired to the OOOPS GOD. My current rig is a P3 1.26@1583 167fsb on a Tusl2-c . My system bottleneck is memory also. I Have to run cas3 at anything above 150fsb.

I aint signing nothing!!!

pIII_Man

Splendid
Mar 19, 2003
god...how do you guys get so lucky...rick...your 550e is is faster than my overclocked pIII 700...i am starting to think i am doing something wrong...this cpu won't do anything over 126mhz fsb (and that is at an astonishing 2.05v)...i am using pc150 memory...on an msi 6163pro...the cpu is currently 29c @882mhz (per mbm5 and the bios)...did i just get a bad chip or am i missing something?

it will post and get into windows @ up to 135mhz fsb...but is not stable...

There is no smell better than fried silicon :evil: