Windows XP starts up extemely slow. HELP!!

June 14, 2005 10:00:04 AM

Hi there,

I bought a Sony VGN-FS115B laptop two months ago. It came with Windows
XP Home Edition and Norton Anti-Virus installed. Everything ran
smoothly until three days ago.

I tried to install Windows XP Professional in a different partition.
All of a sudden, the installation slowed down and eventually took one
full day to complete(didn't look complete either). It took about half
an hour to boot up my original Win XP Home Edition and another half an
hour to display the desktop. It's impossible to run any application in
less than 10 minutes.

I then ran the Home Edition in safe mode. I used system restore,
performed disc clean up and defragment, AND THEN ran spybot, ad-aware,
spyware doctor, etc. I uninstalled the Windows XP Professional and made
Win XP Home Edition as default operation system. No virus found.
Nothing changed.

I did all I could. I would really appreciate that if anyone can help me
with this. Please, please.

I ran hijackthis and will provide the log if needed.

Thanks for any help.

spikey

--
spikey
spikey's Profile: http://extremetechsupport.com/forum/member.phtml?userid...

Save all your data files so that they don't accidentally get erased.

The Sony should come with some sort of Restore program. Most usually have 2
options - a repair type which will save your data, and a restore type that
will set the machine back to the way it was when it left the factory.

Try the repair option first, then if you still have the problem, use the
restore option and start over fresh.

"spikey" wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> I bought a Sony VGN-FS115B laptop two months ago. It came with Windows
> XP Home Edition and Norton Anti-Virus installed. Everything ran
> smoothly until three days ago.
>
> I tried to install Windows XP Professional in a different partition.
> All of a sudden, the installation slowed down and eventually took one
> full day to complete(didn't look complete either). It took about half
> an hour to boot up my original Win XP Home Edition and another half an
> hour to display the desktop. It's impossible to run any application in
> less than 10 minutes.
>
> I then ran the Home Edition in safe mode. I used system restore,
> performed disc clean up and defragment, AND THEN ran spybot, ad-aware,
> spyware doctor, etc. I uninstalled the Windows XP Professional and made
> Win XP Home Edition as default operation system. No virus found.
> Nothing changed.
>
> I did all I could. I would really appreciate that if anyone can help me
> with this. Please, please.
>
> I ran hijackthis and will provide the log if needed.
>
> Thanks for any help.
>
> spikey
>

> --
> spikey
> spikey's Profile: http://extremetechsupport.com/forum/member.phtml?userid...
> View this thread: http://extremetechsupport.com/forum/showthread.phtml?t=...

Anonymous
June 14, 2005 5:58:57 PM

Have you contacted Sony to see what suggestions they have?

--

Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
www.webtree.ca/windowsxp

!