shrunken dialog boxes & windows

June 14, 2005 11:41:12 AM

Six weeks into XP, suddenly the dialog boxes and windows for various
applications & websites have shrunk--McAfee, Amazon, my home web page, my
bank page, news alerts from a couple of magazines, and many Windows boxes,
including (maddeningly) the Display box where I've been trying to fix the
problem! Now, today, it's happened in Word--the font size cited for documents
is 12 point, but the type on-screen is tiny. I've done so much fiddling
trying to save it that I'm dizzy, perhaps made it worse.
--
saintnewbie
Anonymous

First, check that you are using the correct resolution for your monitor:
Right-click on the desktop and select Properties > Settings tab > Screen
resolution slider.

Second, scan for viruses and other malware.

--
Ted Zieglar
"You can do it if you try."

"saintnewbie" <saintnewbie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Six weeks into XP, suddenly the dialog boxes and windows for various
> applications & websites have shrunk--McAfee, Amazon, my home web page, my
> bank page, news alerts from a couple of magazines, and many Windows boxes,
> including (maddeningly) the Display box where I've been trying to fix the
> problem! Now, today, it's happened in Word--the font size cited for
documents
> is 12 point, but the type on-screen is tiny. I've done so much fiddling
> trying to save it that I'm dizzy, perhaps made it worse.
> --
> saintnewbie
Anonymous
June 14, 2005 2:51:45 PM

screen resolution's set at the maximum, ran spyware & viruscan, no
infections. My Address Book even looks like it's in agate type. Ouch!
--
saintnewbie

"Ted Zieglar" wrote:

> First, check that you are using the correct resolution for your monitor:
> Right-click on the desktop and select Properties > Settings tab > Screen
> resolution slider.
>
> Second, scan for viruses and other malware.
>
> --
> Ted Zieglar
> "You can do it if you try."
>
> "saintnewbie" <saintnewbie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Six weeks into XP, suddenly the dialog boxes and windows for various
> > applications & websites have shrunk--McAfee, Amazon, my home web page, my
> > bank page, news alerts from a couple of magazines, and many Windows boxes,
> > including (maddeningly) the Display box where I've been trying to fix the
> > problem! Now, today, it's happened in Word--the font size cited for
> documents
> > is 12 point, but the type on-screen is tiny. I've done so much fiddling
> > trying to save it that I'm dizzy, perhaps made it worse.
> > --
> > saintnewbie

June 14, 2005 5:46:00 PM

I didn't say 'maximum resolution', I said 'correct resolution'.

As for spyware, it often requires scans with several different spyware
detectors to identify a particular pest.

Do you have the same problem when you use a different monitor on your
computer?

--

> screen resolution's set at the maximum, ran spyware & viruscan, no
> infections. My Address Book even looks like it's in agate type. Ouch!
> --
> saintnewbie
>

> "Ted Zieglar" wrote:
>
> > First, check that you are using the correct resolution for your monitor:
> > Right-click on the desktop and select Properties > Settings tab > Screen
> > resolution slider.
> >
> > Second, scan for viruses and other malware.
> >
> > --
> > Ted Zieglar
> > "You can do it if you try."
> >
> > "saintnewbie" <saintnewbie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > Six weeks into XP, suddenly the dialog boxes and windows for various
> > > applications & websites have shrunk--McAfee, Amazon, my home web page,
my
> > > bank page, news alerts from a couple of magazines, and many Windows
boxes,
> > > including (maddeningly) the Display box where I've been trying to fix
the
> > > problem! Now, today, it's happened in Word--the font size cited for
> > documents
> > > is 12 point, but the type on-screen is tiny. I've done so much
fiddling
> > > trying to save it that I'm dizzy, perhaps made it worse.
> > > --
> > > saintnewbie

Anonymous
June 14, 2005 6:43:03 PM

On Tue, 14 Jun 2005 10:27:04 -0700, saintnewbie wrote:

> screen resolution's set at the maximum, ran spyware & viruscan, no
> infections. My Address Book even looks like it's in agate type. Ouch!

Maximum = small objects/fonts. Try nudging the size down a bit. Objects and
text are displayed larger on smaller desktops. This may sound backwards but
that's how it works.

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

thanks, sharon--I took the size down a couple of notches, and the
box became a bit bigger, but it was slightly blurred. Also, the type
within the little windows (names in Address Book, sizes in Fonts--
don't know what they're properly called) remained quite small. So
it was almost the solution, but I think somewhere I've messed up
a setting. This all started when I booted up and my desktop showed
my wallpaper (Sedona, from the standard choices) as a picture
in the middle of the frame, surrounded by a big blue border. I hit
the "stretch" button to restore the wallpaper to a full frame, but
then lots else went haywire. Been a hellish day trying to fix it.

--
saintnewbie

"Sharon F" wrote:

> On Tue, 14 Jun 2005 10:27:04 -0700, saintnewbie wrote:
>
> > screen resolution's set at the maximum, ran spyware & viruscan, no
> > infections. My Address Book even looks like it's in agate type. Ouch!
>
> Maximum = small objects/fonts. Try nudging the size down a bit. Objects and
> text are displayed larger on smaller desktops. This may sound backwards but
> that's how it works.
>
> --
> Sharon F
> MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

Anonymous
June 15, 2005 2:48:29 AM

On Tue, 14 Jun 2005 14:51:05 -0700, saintnewbie wrote:

> thanks, sharon--I took the size down a couple of notches, and the
> box became a bit bigger, but it was slightly blurred. Also, the type
> within the little windows (names in Address Book, sizes in Fonts--
> don't know what they're properly called) remained quite small. So
> it was almost the solution, but I think somewhere I've messed up
> a setting. This all started when I booted up and my desktop showed
> my wallpaper (Sedona, from the standard choices) as a picture
> in the middle of the frame, surrounded by a big blue border. I hit
> the "stretch" button to restore the wallpaper to a full frame, but
> then lots else went haywire. Been a hellish day trying to fix it.

Try another tactic then. Set the desktop to the size that you want for
clarity with the icons. Then use Display> Settings> Advanced> General>
Display and change the DPI to Large Size.

I don't know what address book you're using. If Outlook Express or Internet
Explorer are involved at all, also take a look at another setting. Open
Internet Explorer and click on View> Text Size and bump it up to a larger
setting.

If still not happy, put everything back to default settings and reset to a
standard theme (XP look or classic) in display properties. Then review your
adjustment settings in regards to font size.

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

Thank you very much, Sharon--I did System Restore, and it's mostly back to
normal, just a little blurring on the letters, which I'll try to fix as I
restore a few settings. Whew!
--
saintnewbie

"Sharon F" wrote:

> On Tue, 14 Jun 2005 14:51:05 -0700, saintnewbie wrote:
>
> > thanks, sharon--I took the size down a couple of notches, and the
> > box became a bit bigger, but it was slightly blurred. Also, the type
> > within the little windows (names in Address Book, sizes in Fonts--
> > don't know what they're properly called) remained quite small. So
> > it was almost the solution, but I think somewhere I've messed up
> > a setting. This all started when I booted up and my desktop showed
> > my wallpaper (Sedona, from the standard choices) as a picture
> > in the middle of the frame, surrounded by a big blue border. I hit
> > the "stretch" button to restore the wallpaper to a full frame, but
> > then lots else went haywire. Been a hellish day trying to fix it.
>
> Try another tactic then. Set the desktop to the size that you want for
> clarity with the icons. Then use Display> Settings> Advanced> General>
> Display and change the DPI to Large Size.
>
> I don't know what address book you're using. If Outlook Express or Internet
> Explorer are involved at all, also take a look at another setting. Open
> Internet Explorer and click on View> Text Size and bump it up to a larger
> setting.
>
> If still not happy, put everything back to default settings and reset to a
> standard theme (XP look or classic) in display properties. Then review your
> adjustment settings in regards to font size.
>
> --
> Sharon F
> MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

Anonymous
June 15, 2005 7:59:40 PM

On Wed, 15 Jun 2005 04:08:08 -0700, saintnewbie wrote:

> Thank you very much, Sharon--I did System Restore, and it's mostly back to
> normal, just a little blurring on the letters, which I'll try to fix as I
> restore a few settings. Whew!

That's one approach I often skip when working out display problems - system
restore - but am glad to hear that it worked for you!

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User