internet painfully slow

I just bought a brand new computer, and it has XP home edition installed.
Everything works great, until I try to surf. The computer takes about 1-2
minutes per page to load up, if it ever loads at all. I have internet
explorer 6 which came with the computer, and the basic mcaffee virus scan
that came with it. Nothing else is installed. Please help, I bought this so I
could surf faster and store me. Thanks

In news:9B9110AE-F7AA-4FA0-B6E0-0C5AA4EE04D9@microsoft.com,
siedpup <siedpup@discussions.microsoft.com> did some thinking and came up
with these words:
> I just bought a brand new computer, and it has XP home edition
> installed. Everything works great, until I try to surf. The computer
> takes about 1-2 minutes per page to load up, if it ever loads at all.
> I have internet explorer 6 which came with the computer, and the
> basic mcaffee virus scan that came with it. Nothing else is
> installed. Please help, I bought this so I could surf faster and
> store me. Thanks

What type of internet connection do you have? Cable/DSL/Dial-Up?

--
Ron Bogart {} ô¿ô¬
Associate Expert

I have netzero dial up. I have used it for the last 3 years and never had a
problem, until this new computer....argh

In news:81E12216-D6B6-4E2F-851D-05D9919A4192@microsoft.com,
siedpup <siedpup@discussions.microsoft.com> did some thinking and came up
with these words:
> I have netzero dial up. I have used it for the last 3 years and never
> had a problem, until this new computer....argh
>
> "Ron Bogart" wrote:
>
>> In news:9B9110AE-F7AA-4FA0-B6E0-0C5AA4EE04D9@microsoft.com,
>> siedpup <siedpup@discussions.microsoft.com> did some thinking and
>> came up with these words:
>>> I just bought a brand new computer, and it has XP home edition
>>> installed. Everything works great, until I try to surf. The computer
>>> takes about 1-2 minutes per page to load up, if it ever loads at
>>> all. I have internet explorer 6 which came with the computer, and
>>> the
>>> basic mcaffee virus scan that came with it. Nothing else is
>>> installed. Please help, I bought this so I could surf faster and
>>> store me. Thanks
>>
>> What type of internet connection do you have? Cable/DSL/Dial-Up?
>>
>> --
>> Ron Bogart {} ô¿ô¬
>> Associate Expert
>> Lovin life on Mercer Island 8^)
>> "Life is what happens while we are making other plans."
>> In memory of a true friend, MVP Alex Nichol (1935-2005)

What connection speeds are you getting now compared to prior to the new
computer? Have you checked the vendor site for updated drivers for your
modem?

--
Ron Bogart {} ô¿ô¬
Associate Expert
Lovin life on Mercer Island 8^)
"Life is what happens while we are making other plans."
In memory of a true friend, MVP Alex Nichol (1935-2005)

Try cleaning your temp files,
also, check to see what's running in the background.
To do that go to Start>run>type in msconfig
Check to see what kind of startup is selected, Normal is not needed, in my
opinion..I have Selective Startup, with
System Services & Original Boot ini selected, as well as startup items.