Removable drives

optimist

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2003
i have a 200GB Maxtor fluid Sata HDD installed in a tray, so i can remove it, my plan was to use it as a backup drive, and later on by more disk's. but how do i make windows "see" it as a removable drive, with the little "safe to remove" button u allso get when u have a USB media connected to the computer.

juice

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2001
This is what we did at our work, i have not found out a way to have windows see the drives as removable. We have 5 Scsi disk drives that we swap out everyday for backups, our scsi trays allows use to power the drives up and down. Use disk mgmt > right click on the drive you want mounted > click on change drive letter > Mount in the following drvie letter:

example: = c:\backup > hit ok

Now you should have a folder called backup on your c: which is your hard drive. When you want to swap out the hard drive use the same steps as listed above with one change > Click on Remove drive letter.

If you find a better way i am all ears. Good luck!!!

:cool: <font color=blue> I know nothing that is why i am here at THG!</font color=blue>

sparky853

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2003
To the best of my knowledge, you can't make a drive removable, unless you were to but it in an enclosure that uses USB to connect to your computer.

I know you can get drives like this, but they will not be SATA drives.

XP2200+, Abit NF7, 1GB Dual-Channel DDR333, ATI R9800PRO 128MB, SB Live! 5.1 Digital, TT PurePower 420W, Samsung 120GB, Maxtor 120GB, LG DVD+-R/RW, WIN2K PRO SP4

optimist

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2003
ok .. as far as i know there is settings that has to do with SCSI and Removable under HDD's properties, but they r gryed out. my tray enables me to turn of the power to the drive as well, and i know windows in most cases can handle hot swap, ive tryed it with my CD-roms drive where i plugged them in while the system where running, the big problem is if i turn of the drive and there is still some data in the casche that it needs to write down on the disk, its lost. i know that ive been able before to set the disk as removeable under disk properties.