Sign in with
Your question

Tyan Trinity 400 S1854 work with WinXP?

Last response: in Motherboards
July 20, 2003 4:30:38 PM

My fellow dudes and duddettes,
i'm upgrading my comp to run WinXP and it just dawned on me. Will my Tyan Trinity S1854 400 be compatible with Windows XP Home or Pro? Right now i'm running Windows 98 SE with no problems. Please any help is appreciated.

Thanks and mahalo,
Scotty
July 20, 2003 6:49:52 PM

Its a KT133A board. That does not matter. What matters is how much RAM do u have in there?

<b>thinking of a good sig. till then...</b>
July 20, 2003 8:11:03 PM

I would advidse against xp...for pII and non Tualatin core pIIIs windows 2000 runs much better...in fact i have used both 2k and xp and i am far happier with windows 2000 on my current setup...pIII 700@ 884mhz with 512mb of ram. Either way it is your choice...but it is something to consider. Yes both operating systems will be supported by your board.

There is no smell better than fried silicon :evil: 
Related resources
July 20, 2003 8:16:13 PM

Quote:
for pII and non Tualatin core pIIIs <b>windows 2000 runs much better</b>

I was just wondering...by BETTER u mean - better in performance, better in loading, better without any hangs?? :smile:

<b>thinking of a good sig. till then...</b><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by TheMask on 07/21/03 02:18 AM.</EM></FONT></P>
July 20, 2003 9:01:13 PM

sorry i was a bit vague...

with 2000 i feel it is faster...all around everything loads faster...you don't have to do alot of tweaking to make it run well.

I ran XP for 6 months on this system (moved from 98se) i don't like the general feel of xp it is just so fruity IMO...the fact that it has many background programings running...the fact that it acceesses the internet on its own VERY often...after 6 months basically i was fed up and had lost alot of trust in microsoft (as if i had much to begin with)...it really annoys me how much xp acesses the internet and the fact that XP is just such a bloated operating system and offered no performance or Usability gain from 98se or 2000pro...so i reformated and installed 2000 professional and redhat 9.0 and i am very happy. I have yet to run into a game incompatibility that a patch/update would not solve...

July 20, 2003 9:02:33 PM

BTW 98se, 2000 and xp professional do not have any stability problems on my system...i dunno about XP home as i have never used it.

July 20, 2003 10:23:48 PM

Quote:
<b>...it acceesses the internet on its own VERY often...</b>

I dont understand how cud that be and why? I have been using for more than 6 months now and i have never had this problem. U cud set "Never Dial a connection" in the connections tab of Internet Options. Plus if u tweak XP, it works gr8. Gr8 as in - works much better when compared to without any tweaks.

<b>i wish i had a <font color=red>million</font color=red> <font color=green>$$$</font color=green>...</b>
July 21, 2003 12:51:29 AM

Ya but whats the point of tweaking if you can buy win 2k for the same price that has all of the "usefull" features and does not require any tweaking to run? In fact i was a hard core tweaker of 98se and XP...the only thing that i did to tweak 2000 (if ya wana call it a tweak) is added msconfig.exe to my system32 folder. And if ya ask me XP is harder to use cause you have all these annoying wizards and a very "protected" layout. Also IMO xp does not look any better...in fact all the time i was using xp i tryed to make it look as much like 98se as possible...all those soft colors and all that made xp more suited for the maternity ward at a hospital...not my desktop PC...these are just my oppinions by all means if ya want xp get it...but i just felt that i should share my experiences.

I have tryed everything (to stop internet access)...all i can say is download Zone alarm (a firewall) and see how many times your xp pro accesses the internet every day...it is appauling to me...especially that windows messanger...you can uninstall it from add/remove programs but if you read closly that only removes it from the start menu...you can run msconfig to remove it from windows start up...but then when you run programs like outlook and other M$ office programs i see msmsgs.exe trying to access the internet for no reason...i got so fed up with it i went into dos and deleted it...it was a tough bastard too because i beleive it was a system file...all i can say is I have not had good experiences with xp...

LONG LIVE DOS 6.22, JEM 3.1 AND REDHAT 9!

July 21, 2003 12:52:36 AM

BTW i think you should think a little longer about your siggy

July 21, 2003 5:11:46 AM

Quote:
BTW i think you should think a little longer about your siggy

LOL, hows this for a siggy
|
|
|
V

<b>One mood, all the time.</b>
July 21, 2003 5:22:36 AM

i don't get it?

anyhow i still think ya need to do more thinking...mines getting a bit old too...either i gotta add to it or think of another.

July 21, 2003 5:23:44 AM

Well, I have never tried W2K, so i cant comment on it. I have used 98, ME and XP. Sometimes, I still prefer 98 over XP. With 98, i wud almost Format my C-Drive and Reinstall it every couple of months. It was that easy and wud take 15-20 mins for the reinstall. With XP, though there is no real need to Reinstall, i have not done it even once. Some one in some thread said that there is a max limit you cud Activate ur WIN XP. I think the max limit was stated as being 5. Now i have already activated it twice. Hence my worry.

BTW, after i tweaked XP Pro, which was only editing a few Reg entries and disabling some start-up items and stopping a few programs with services.msc, I got a jump of almost 1000 Marks with 3D Mark 2001se. Before tweaking XP i wud get about 1000-1300 marks less than in 98. After tweaking, i wud get about the same in XP and 98.

And urs seems to be a weird problem with the messenger. I never used the Windows messenger as such. I downloaded and installed the MSN Messenger. The MSN Messenger gets tunning only when i open itself or Outlook. But not otherwise. And in the past 6 months or so, I have never had the problem of my comp automatically accessing the net. U have asked in here about ur problem?

<b>One mood, all the time.</b>
July 21, 2003 5:28:54 AM

i don't care...i am glad i installed 2k and lets leave it at that...i personally do not care about my 3dmark score...but xp was a hastle...

July 21, 2003 5:29:58 AM

k, am back to more thinking..

<b>still</b> thinking of a good siggy. till then...
July 21, 2003 5:31:10 AM

BTW...i do not think the windows messanger problem was a glitch...because durring the time frame i used xp i installed it 2-3 times...sooo...i definatly don't think it was a glitch....there was a crude but easy way of combating it and that was to delete the folder from dos...

July 21, 2003 5:32:02 AM

what was the other siggy supposed to even mean?

July 21, 2003 5:33:31 AM

to each his own...u hate it and i dont :wink:

Lets leave it at that...

<b>still</b> thinking of a good siggy. till then...
July 21, 2003 5:35:41 AM

right on...as my dad would used to say...

Diffrent strokes for diffrent folks

But i must say redhat 9.0 beats both of em...

July 21, 2003 2:38:45 PM

p_III Man,
okay you got me doin the WinY2K upgrade. my question is....... are there any ways i can just do the upgrade without erasing what i ever i have on my harddrive? and i don't feel like backing up anything. please let me know what you think. all ofyous have been very informative.

Thanks and mahalo,
Scotty
July 21, 2003 9:32:34 PM

the max RAM is 768 which i'm maxing now..... good enuff?

Thanks and mahalo,
Scotty
July 22, 2003 12:49:31 AM

768 is more than enough...i am running 512 just fine...i used to be running 256 and it also ran fine...

You don't need to back anything up...it will just install over your previous windows os...just install and you are good to go!

July 22, 2003 9:37:47 AM

One mood, all the time. -----> HORNY :wink:

<b>still</b> thinking of a good sig. till then...
July 22, 2003 9:46:09 AM

768MB is more than enuff even for most of the recent games.

<b>still</b> thinking of a good sig. till then...
July 22, 2003 6:51:21 PM

last questions... so i can install Windows 2000 without worrying about it erasing anything on my HD, right? well it go over it and keep what ever i have on it?

Thanks and mahalo,
Scotty
!