How do You keep "My Documents" from opening?

How do you keep the "My Documents" folder from automatically openingsd when
starting Windows Explorer?

map

Don J wrote:
> How do you keep the "My Documents" folder from automatically
> openingsd when starting Windows Explorer?

From kellys-korner.com

My Documents Folder - Opens Upon Boot

To Stop Windows Explorer from opening My Documents: Check your settings
here: Start/Run/Regedit

In the right pane under Userinit - Change the key that reads:

C:\Windows\System32\Userinit.exe,C:\Windows\System32\Userinit.exe
C:\Windows\System32\Userinit.exe,

And also here: Start/Run/Regedit

Start/Run/Regedit

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Windows. In
the right pane, check your settings under Load

--
Mike Pawlak

What does: (Statement A)
"Change "C:\Windows\System32\Userinit.exe, C:\Windows\System32\Userinit.exe"
"C:\Windows\System32\Useinit.exe"
mean?

It seems to be a little redundant! Perhaps it should read: (Stratement B)
Change "C:\Windows\System32\Userinit.exe"
"C:\Windows\System32\Useinit.exe"
But this is even more rediculous, because it says to leave the path:
:C:\Windows\System32\Useinit.exe" unchanged.

I've taken the liberty of looking up the reference you provided at
"Kellys_Korner"
Web site. Sure enough it is as you say! If anyone else can tell me how to
keep the
"My Documents" folder from opening when opening Windows Explorer, I would
appreciate it very much.

Don J

On Tue, 14 Jun 2005 19:27:48 -0400, Don J wrote:

> How do you keep the "My Documents" folder from automatically openingsd when
> starting Windows Explorer?

Where do you want the focus when you open Windows Explorer?

For focus on the C: drive, create a new Explorer shortcut using the
following as the "target":
C:\WINDOWS\explorer.exe /e,c:
You can replace "c:" with another drive letter or the path to a specific
folder.

For the focus to be on My Computer use:
C:\WINDOWS\explorer.exe /e,
(comma at end is intentional)
or press Windows key +E
--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

map

To make life easier run the edit on line 255 right hand side

--
Mike Pawlak

On Tue, 14 Jun 2005 21:57:51 -0400, "Don J" <dej8800@comcast.com> wrote:

>What does: (Statement A)
>"Change "C:\Windows\System32\Userinit.exe, C:\Windows\System32\Userinit.exe"
Executable Command
to execute
Though I don't have the problem you describe, didn't even know it existed.
And it seems like a whole lot of unnecessary trouble. You have userinit running
itself.
>"C:\Windows\System32\Useinit.exe"
>mean?
>
>It seems to be a little redundant! Perhaps it should read: (Stratement B)
>Change "C:\Windows\System32\Userinit.exe"
>"C:\Windows\System32\Useinit.exe"
>But this is even more rediculous, because it says to leave the path:
>:C:\Windows\System32\Useinit.exe" unchanged.
>
>I've taken the liberty of looking up the reference you provided at
>"Kellys_Korner"
>Web site. Sure enough it is as you say! If anyone else can tell me how to
>keep the
>"My Documents" folder from opening when opening Windows Explorer, I would
>appreciate it very much.
>
> Don J
>
>---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>
>"MAP" <mikepawlak2REM@OVEhotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Don J wrote:
>>> How do you keep the "My Documents" folder from automatically
>>> openingsd when starting Windows Explorer?
>>
>> From kellys-korner.com
>>
>> My Documents Folder - Opens Upon Boot
>>
>> To Stop Windows Explorer from opening My Documents: Check your settings
>> here: Start/Run/Regedit
>>
>> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon
>>
>> In the right pane under Userinit - Change the key that reads:
>>
>> C:\Windows\System32\Userinit.exe,C:\Windows\System32\Userinit.exe
>> C:\Windows\System32\Userinit.exe,
>>
>> And also here: Start/Run/Regedit
>>
>> Start/Run/Regedit
>>
>> HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Windows.
>> In
>> the right pane, check your settings under Load
>>
>> --
>> Mike Pawlak

Works Great? Thank you!

> To make life easier run the edit on line 255 right hand side
>
> Don J wrote:
>> What does: (Statement A)
>> "Change "C:\Windows\System32\Userinit.exe,
>> C:\Windows\System32\Userinit.exe" to
>> "C:\Windows\System32\Useinit.exe"
>> mean?
>>
>> It seems to be a little redundant! Perhaps it should read:
>> (Stratement B) Change "C:\Windows\System32\Userinit.exe"
>> "C:\Windows\System32\Useinit.exe"
>> But this is even more rediculous, because it says to leave the path:
>>> C:\Windows\System32\Useinit.exe" unchanged.
>>
>> I've taken the liberty of looking up the reference you provided at
>> "Kellys_Korner"
>> Web site. Sure enough it is as you say! If anyone else can tell me
>> how to keep the
>> "My Documents" folder from opening when opening Windows Explorer, I
>> would appreciate it very much.
>>
>> Don J

> -------
>>
>> "MAP" <mikepawlak2REM@OVEhotmail.com> wrote in message
>>>
>>> From kellys-korner.com
>>>
>>> My Documents Folder - Opens Upon Boot
>>>
>>> To Stop Windows Explorer from opening My Documents: Check your
>>> settings here: Start/Run/Regedit
>>>
>>> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows
>>> NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon
>>>
>>> In the right pane under Userinit - Change the key that reads:
>>>
>>> C:\Windows\System32\Userinit.exe,C:\Windows\System32\Userinit.exe
>>> To:
>>> C:\Windows\System32\Userinit.exe,
>>>
>>> And also here: Start/Run/Regedit
>>>
>>> Start/Run/Regedit
>>>
>>> HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows
>>> NT\CurrentVersion\Windows. In
>>> the right pane, check your settings under Load
>>>
>>> --
>>> Mike Pawlak
>
> --
> Mike Pawlak

When I initially installed the registry settings from "Kelly's Korner", it
seemed to work fine. But now (a day latter) it is back to doing the exact
same thing again: Whenever I open Windows Explorer the My Documents folder
opens and receives the focus. I've tried reinstalling the changes, but
still the "My Documents" folder opens. Can anyone help me by specifying a
way of making the focus open to another directory instead.

Don J

"Husky" <cbminfo@toast.net> wrote in message
> On Tue, 14 Jun 2005 21:57:51 -0400, "Don J" <dej8800@comcast.com> wrote:
>
>>What does: (Statement A)
>>"Change "C:\Windows\System32\Userinit.exe,
>>C:\Windows\System32\Userinit.exe"
> Executable
> Command
> to execute
> Though I don't have the problem you describe, didn't even know it existed.
> And it seems like a whole lot of unnecessary trouble. You have userinit
> running
> itself.
>>"C:\Windows\System32\Useinit.exe"
>>mean?
>>
>>It seems to be a little redundant! Perhaps it should read: (Stratement
>>B)
>>Change "C:\Windows\System32\Userinit.exe"
>>"C:\Windows\System32\Useinit.exe"
>>But this is even more rediculous, because it says to leave the path:
>>:C:\Windows\System32\Useinit.exe" unchanged.
>>
>>I've taken the liberty of looking up the reference you provided at
>>"Kellys_Korner"
>>Web site. Sure enough it is as you say! If anyone else can tell me how
>>keep the
>>"My Documents" folder from opening when opening Windows Explorer, I would
>>appreciate it very much.
>>
>> Don J
>>
>>---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>>
>>"MAP" <mikepawlak2REM@OVEhotmail.com> wrote in message
>>>
>>> From kellys-korner.com
>>>
>>> My Documents Folder - Opens Upon Boot
>>>
>>> To Stop Windows Explorer from opening My Documents: Check your settings
>>> here: Start/Run/Regedit
>>>
>>> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon
>>>
>>> In the right pane under Userinit - Change the key that reads:
>>>
>>> C:\Windows\System32\Userinit.exe,C:\Windows\System32\Userinit.exe
>>> To:
>>> C:\Windows\System32\Userinit.exe,
>>>
>>> And also here: Start/Run/Regedit
>>>
>>> Start/Run/Regedit
>>>
>>> HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Windows.
>>> In
>>> the right pane, check your settings under Load
>>>
>>> --
>>> Mike Pawlak
>>>

> --
> more pix @ http://members.toast.net/cbminfo/index.html

I read your post several days ago but didn't thing anything about it. Then
when the problem came back today I reread your post and 'eureka, that's it'.
Other solutions have been proposed under the MAP thread. After initially
believing that they worked I found out ealier today that they didn't (see
subsequent postings under the MAP thread) I went back and reread your post.

Actually I had already done what you have suggested several times to allow
me to click a single shortcut to open Windows Explorer on a specified
directory. But it wasn't until I reread your post that I realized it.

Don J

On Wed, 15 Jun 2005 20:03:55 -0400, Don J wrote:

> I read your post several days ago but didn't thing anything about it. Then
> when the problem came back today I reread your post and 'eureka, that's it'.
> Other solutions have been proposed under the MAP thread. After initially
> believing that they worked I found out ealier today that they didn't (see
> subsequent postings under the MAP thread) I went back and reread your post.
>
> Actually I had already done what you have suggested several times to allow
> me to click a single shortcut to open Windows Explorer on a specified
> directory. But it wasn't until I reread your post that I realized it.

Good, as long as it's working for you - that's where we want things to be.
Enjoy! Creating that Explorer shortcut is one of the first things that I do
on a clean install.

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

Sharon, maybe you can help another too?
when i type=> c:\windows\explorer.exe/e,c: into the explorer shortcut
properties target designation box or into the start in box i keep getting the
message, "the name in the target box is not valid. make sure path & file
names are correct.

am i doing something wrong?
can you tell me how to enter the short cut targeted focus so that it will
accept the target at the C drive level?
tia
swb

On Wed, 15 Jun 2005 22:14:01 -0700, simpleworks best wrote:

> Sharon, maybe you can help another too?
> when i type=> c:\windows\explorer.exe/e,c: into the explorer shortcut
> properties target designation box or into the start in box i keep getting the
> message, "the name in the target box is not valid. make sure path & file
> names are correct.
>
> am i doing something wrong?
> can you tell me how to enter the short cut targeted focus so that it will
> accept the target at the C drive level?

Place a space between explorer.exe and /e and you should be fine.
--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

thanks sharon, adding the space took care of it
such a minor thing, but it's been bugging me for a while now & you resolved
it for me
again, thanks
swb

ps, microsoft, since you make people agree to give them their ideas for free
just to post to this site, you should know that if you expand your online
help documentation if you want to impove your products.

On Thu, 16 Jun 2005 17:55:10 -0700, simpleworksbest wrote:

> thanks sharon, adding the space took care of it
> such a minor thing, but it's been bugging me for a while now & you resolved
> it for me
> again, thanks
> swb

You're most welcome, swb!