Gig. 8KNXP w/ P4 3.0c ....break in period?

truiz9902

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2003
Well for starters, so far so good on my first build. The Gigabyte 8KNXP seems very stable and has been running flawlessly for about a week now.

I have been using the Easy Tuner Software provided by Gigabyte to monitor all the settings and normally when I boot the processor has been showing a speed of 29760MHz or so with the multiplier at 15.0-system bus 200 MHz and of course all the voltage readings. Well when I booted this morning the processor was showing a speed of 3011.74MHz and all the other readings were the same. I was wondering if this is normal. Is there such a thing as a break in period? CPU temps are fine, running right around 41c and never exceeding 43c and thats with room temperature hovering at 75 deg F. and a CPU fan speed of appx 2500 RPM.

So no complaints from me, I just thought it was odd to boot and see a faster CPU speed without changing anything.

any thoughts or input appreciated.

regards

truiz

pIII_Man

Splendid
Mar 19, 2003
I really don't think it matters...if the board is stable there should be no problem...i mean the diffrene in clock speeds is less than 3%...no big deal.

There is no smell better than fried silicon :evil:

daniel1113

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2003
Hey Truiz,

I have the same processor/motherboard combination, and I noticed the same thing with the EasyTune software. I think it is software related, because other programs, including Sandra and Motherboard Monitor, all show constant processor speeds. Either way, my system has been stable for over three months, so I am not concerned. I hope this helps.

- Daniel (daniel1113[at]comcast[dot]net)

jon_west_uk

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2003
I am having difficulty with my 8knxp and P4 3.0C and i believe from your earlier posts that you have the same combo as me. I am having trouble with cooling my CPU.

I have tried both a thermalright SLK - 947U heatsink with 92mm vantec tornado fan and aquarious 2 liquid cooling system and am getting idle temps of up to 41 without overclocking and max temps of over 60!!

I have noticed that the mb is only letting the fans run at 1500 rpm and believe that this may be the cause. I have a 550watt psu so there is an ample supply of juice and believe that the mb may be causing this lack of rpm (should be 2600 for my fan.

Have you experienced this or do you know anything about this?

Your help would be greatly appreciatted!

Thanks,

Jon

Someone please unwire me...the gadgets are taking over!

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
This is normal. I don't know whether it's the clock generator or the clock crystal, but all my boards have had some variation in the clock speed.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>