is Bios update worth it?

mellowman43

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2003
I have a dragon plus MB, have never updated BIOS, I don't have anyproblems with the board so is it worth it to update the bios for anyreason?

pIII_Man

Splendid
Mar 19, 2003
i have never encounter problems updating my bios...just make sure that the bios you are flashing with is the right one and that there are no thunderstorms in the area...many times you can get a performance gain and higher hardware compatability...i would recomend it...

There is no smell better than fried silicon :evil:

pat

Expert
I had a Dragon+ before my Soltek, it was running great and still run great. I did some BIOS update, but not too much. I did it with the one that include the new Promise BIOS, because I was running with RAID and one when I put my 8500DV in to be sure that I'd have no problem. But if your system is stable now, I wouldnt do it unless you need the new feature. those BIOS didnt improve speed. only compatibility with some hardware. So if one day you upgrade to newer CPU, drive, ... then you could do it at this time. You can go to Soyo website (www.soyousa.com) to check what new BIOS may give you and decide too, that your choice.

-Always put the blame on you first, then on the hardware !!!

pIII_Man

Splendid
Mar 19, 2003
you could also take that route...however often a bios update does improve the stability and/or performance of a board...

TheRod

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2002
Why do you think MOBO maketrs are releasing BIOS updates?

Because they are worth it! MOBO makers would not bother relaesing new BIOS versions if it would not provide improvements or bug fixing.

--
Would you buy a GPS enabled soap bar?

spitoon

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2003
Sorry to jump in here, but would you guys have the same advice for me?? I have an ASUS CUSL2-C with an adapter running a 1.4GHz Tualatin Celeron. The board (that I bought used) has BIOS version 1006, the ASUS site has 1009 and I have seen beta/hacked versions up to 1012 IIRC.

Seems to run fine, I am able to overclock via the bios settings up to 117FSB (~1640MHz), but its so damn hot outside right now that I have backed it off to 113FSB because temps were going over 50C.

Do you think I would have anything to gain by flashing to 1009????

pIII_Man

Splendid
Mar 19, 2003
you certainly have nothing to loose...however i doubt it will make your cpu cooler...but it may allow you to overclock further...

spitoon

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2003
Thanks for the reply, I wouldn't expect any temp changes, I'll just have to wait for Mother Nature for that :)

Overclock further...mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm :)

xeenrecoil

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2003
heya all:

The CUSL2 series were good solid boards, infact i have two of them, the CUSL2 and CUSL2-C variant, but unfortunately if you OC past 140FSB it will limit your AGP to 2x, it sucks but its just one of those things, it will run stable at 145-150FSB, but as i said you lose that precious AGP bandwidth, and it isnt even remotely worth it.

XeeN

spitoon

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2003
Thanks for the info XeenRecoil,

According to everything I have read, I won't even be able to get to 133FSB because I have the 1.4GHz Tualatin Celeron that simply won't do 133FSB.

I have only been able to get to about 117FSB max... I wish I could control the divider because I'm sure the only thing holding me back is the high PCI bus speed.

pIII_Man

Splendid
Mar 19, 2003
probably not your bus speed is about 39mhz...my board has been able to take up to 43mhz with various diffrent hardware setups...so i doubt it is fsb...yes the 1.4 celery does not overclock well because of a huge 14x multi...just think @ 133mhz fsb it would be cooking along @ 1.86ghz...that is p4 terrirory...spitoon...got two words for you LIQUID NITROGEN :evil: