Checking DMA setup on disk drives

Ron

Hi,

I am having some problems with HD access pausing everything else, and I was
advised to check that in Device Manager, that the access for IDE drives was
set to DMA rather than PIO.

I have gone to Device Manager, IDE (Primary and secondary), but there is no
"Advanced" tab for me to check if this setting is correct.

Thinking the driver maybe out of date (Intel 2002, MS signed) I havd done
an update, with internet search for drivers, but the system has come back
and said there is no better than what is installed.

The OS is XP with SP2 and all updates installed.

Suggestions please.

Thanks

Ron

Juan

Distinguished
May 5, 2003

I had the same problem you're having... I fixed it with driver 5.1.2600.1211
from 04/23/2003 and a few registry editions, the only difference is I have
WXP with SP1 and these fixes were to be included in the SP2 update or so it
was said, i'm guessing it's not included in the service pack because iv'e
heard some comments that support the idea but you better check first to be
sure you need it. check and see if you have the following registry values:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E96A-E325-11C
E-BFC1-08002BE10318}\0001 EnableUDMA66, DriverVersion = 5.1.2600.1211
and ResetErrorCountersOnSuccess = dword:00000001

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E96A-E325-11C
E-BFC1-08002BE10318}\0002 EnableUDMA66, DriverVersion = 5.1.2600.1211 and
ResetErrorCountersOnSuccess = dword:00000001

You will also need to enable UDMA66 in the previous keys by creating a value
named EnableUDMA66 on each of the previous subkeys and setting it's data to
1 . be sure to create the values in the same subkeys where you find a
value
named "DriverDesc" with the data "main IDE chanel" and "secondary IDE
channel".

How To Enable UDMA66 Mode on Intel Chipsets
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en;247951

Next download an updated driver for the IDE Channel Controler... it's a 2003
issue but there's no more updated version available
http://members.driverguide.com/driver/detail.php?driverid=129427
(you'll need to register) to download driver 5.1.2600.1211 from April 23 -
2003 which includes DriverVersion and ResetErrorCountersOnSuccess dword
values. The instructions to install and enable the driver are in the Readme
File included with the download.

IDE ATA and ATAPI Disks Use PIO Mode After Multiple Time-Out or CRC Errors
Occur
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;817472