PC shuts down when launching games

detpower

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2006
Hi all,

I have come across a weird problem that seems stump me, I have had the same setup in my sig for about 3 years now and had no issues until recently. It started while playing Fallout 3 and has continued to get worse...it now does it with any graphic related program. If i try to run auto tune for my ati card it will shut down, if i try to launch 3d mark it will shut down...

I have monitored all the temps and all are in normal ranges cpu stays around 50c under load...gpu doesnt go any higher than 60c under load...chipset is at 40c ect... i am leaning twards the psu but im not sure, does anyone have any ideas?

Athalon 64 X2 5600 AM2
Asus M2N-E
4 gig Corsair DHX XMS2 DDR2 6400
ATI
HD 3870
500w antec smartpower PSU
300GB HD
XP 32bit

ulysses35

Distinguished
Sounds like it could be a failing PSU - Antec ones are normally pretty reliable.

Im guessing the Graphics card is PCI-E ? have you checked the extra power connector ? if possible swap it for another lead from your PSU.

detpower

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2006
Thanks for the reply,

Yes it is PCI-E......I did try what you suggested and i still have the same issues... Any other ideas? Would a faulty GPU Cause this?... from what i can tell nothing is over heating.

godbrother

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2009
If it was a faulty GPU, the system shouldn't shut down straight away. As ulysses35 says, its most probbally the PSU that is past its time and needs to be replaced, it seems when it needs to juice the GPU for anything, it will not power it correctly, or overpower it perhaps and overload which will result in a shutdown.

But all the symptoms point towards the PSU.

You can get a cheap OCZ 600W PSU for around $40.

detpower

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2006
Update,

For those with the same problems...i ended up replacing my psu and it solved the problem...it no longer crashes or shuts down...so if your pc temps are within spec it will most likely be the psu.

Thanks to all for the help.

godbrother

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2009

;) Yup, I thought so. So what type of games are you into anyways?