TheRod

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2002
Hi,

I have a friend of mine who wants me to build him a P4 system. And in the last year, I mostly built Athlon systems. I want a GOOD motherboard but my friend don'T want to spend a lot of money on it.

The motherboard does not need integrated sound, RAID or stuff like that... It would be great if the board can support future CPU.

I plan to buy entry-level chip (2.4G)... Hummm... The Intel entry level chip are expensive!

--
Would you buy a GPS enabled soap bar?

okietex

Distinguished
May 1, 2003
For performance and cost savings, your best be might be mobos based on the 865 chipset. That will save you some $$s and you can find really nice performing mobos for around $100. If you go up to mobos based on the 875 chipset, you'll start seeing in the middle to high $100s OR higher.

As for brand name, you'll need to do some research - read Tom's articles on these ... they just did a big "shootout" with them. Also, go to mobo newsgroups when you whiddle it down to what you are looking at. Also, places like AnAndTech.com -- ABXZone.com etc...

From personal experience, I've tried the following so far:
Abit IC7-G (see below the sys), Intel 865GBF, and Abit IS7.

The IC7-G (875 based) has been great ...
The Intel 865GBF ... wouldn't post. Hence, I RMA'd it back and bought an Abit IS7.
The IS7 (865 based) has been great.

Hope this helps...

-ot

IC7-G 1.3| P4 2.8 800 | SLK900-U / 92mm Fan (AS3) | 2x512mb Corsair PC3500C2 | 2x120gb SG SATA RAID 0 | 2x120gb WD RAID 1 | CM ATC201B-SXT | 520W | Radeon 9800 Pro | Audigy2

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I'd go with either the Abit IS7-G or the Asus P4P800.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>