Best gaming system

hachiman

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2001
What do you think of this as purely a gaming system?

I'll be using XP Pro.
I suspect the Ram is 266FSB.

Motherboard:Gigabyte GA7VA VIA KT400
Processor:AMD Athlon XP 2800
Memory:1GB (2 x 512MB PC2700 DDR)
Graphics Card:ATI Radeon 9800 PRO 8x,128MB DDR,TV OUT,DVI

Or the same system'but with

Processor:AMD Athlon XP 2600 (200 less MHz)
Gigabyte GA7VAXP Ultra Raid

Thanx

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by hachiman on 07/21/03 02:19 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

shadus

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2003
A motherboard generally isn't going to make a massive difference in speed unless one is dual channel and one isn't.

Either looks fine, the first would probally be faster.

Shadus

TheMASK

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2003
PC2700 RAM is not 266 FSB. It is 333 FSB. And the processors are both Bartons right?

Either is a good set up. The RAID on that mobo is S-ATA RAID or P-ATA RAID? If it is P-ATA RAID, i wud go with the Ultra RAID model with the 2600+ Barton.

<b>still</b> thinking of a good sig. till then...

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I wouldn't give VIA a dime of my money, and you don't have to, with all these superior nForce2 chipset boards on the market.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

hachiman

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2001
I like Athlons so i'll stay away from pentiums'but thanx for the advice.

How about one of these Mobo's instead?

Motherboard:MSI K7N2 Nvidia Nforce2 8x AGP
Memory:1GB (2 x 512MB PC2700 DDR)
Graphics Card:ATI Radeon 9800 PRO 8x,128MB DDR,TV OUT,DVI
WIN XP PRO

Or the same apart from

MSI K7N2 DELTA SATA RAID 8x AGP

ChipDeath

Splendid
May 16, 2002
I like Athlons so i'll stay away from pentiums'but thanx for the advice.
I like athlons too, but don't let it make you blind to a better deal. <b>Do</b> seriously look into how much it'll cost you, bearing in mind that a 2.4C P4 will probly beat a 2600+ at virtually everything.. does cost more though, but if you OC it, you'll end up with a beast of a machine that'll destroy any AMD based rig you can build today.

however, for a cost-effective AMD rig, you can't beat a Barton 2500+ based system. good at stock speeds, not too expensive, and a good overclocker. Pair it with a good nforce 2 board (Epox 8RDA+ is great and fairly cheap ATM) And You've got a pretty decent system.

There's no point getting a RAID board unless you plan to use it...

---
$hit Happens. I just wish it would happen to someone else for a change.

ChipDeath

Splendid
May 16, 2002
It's a feature that some motherboards come with, but you can get add-in cards for it too.

a full explanation would take ages... but:
RAID allows you to use multiple hard disks as one, in many configurations, e.g:

you can set it so it 'shares the load' between two disks [well, 2 controllers really..] - this increases performance by a small amount, but if one HDD dies, you lose <i>everything</i>. Windows would see a single drive which is the size of both drives added together (if they're the same size) This is known as 'Striping' or RAID level 0 [zero].

Or you can set it so one disk 'mirrors' the other one - whenever something gets written to disk, it writes the same to the other one. the advantage of this is that if you lose 1 disk, you still have everything, exactly as it was. Useful for servers - that sort of thing. the only problem is you pay for 2 HDDs but effectively only ever see one of them. ( the other is kinda 'invisible' to the OS)

You can set up arrays for loads of disks - e.g. you can use 4 disks and set up a combination of the two above (RAID 0+1), so you get the best of both worlds...

And then with SCSI there's loads of other weird RAID algorithms, for splitting data over 5 disks with redundancy.

That's kinda a quick beginners guide, and while perhaps not technically perfect, gives you some idea of what RAID is for.

---
$hit Happens. I just wish it would happen to someone else for a change.

shadus

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2003
Here's an explaination with a bit more depth:

Raid 0: Striped Disk Array (Not Real Raid, Faster Disk access) [Min 2 Drives]
Raid 1: Mirroring and Duplexing (Basic Redundant Raid) [Min 2 Drives]
Raid 2: ECC (Doesn't really exist) [Min 3 Drives]
Raid 3: Parity (Not Very Common, but occasionally used.) [Min 3 Drives]
Raid 4: Parity Blocks (Not Very Common, lousy performance.) [Min 3 Drives]
Raid 5: Parity Across Disks (Long Rebuild, Good System.) [Min 3 Drives]
Raid 6: Extended Raid 5 (Shrug. Unused AFAIK.) [Min 3 Drives]
Raid 7: Proprietary Crap (Shrug, proprietary, 'nuff said.) [Min 3 Drives]

Then you have hybrid raids...

Raid 10: Mirroring and Striping (Raid 1 Degree of Redundancy) [Min 4 Drives]
Raid 0/1: Striping and Mirroring (Raid 5 Degree of Redundancy) [Min 4 Drives]
Raid 53 or 03: Raid 3 Array of Stripes (Fast, Large Disk Useage) [Min 5 Drives]

Honestly, I've done 0, 1, 5, 0/1, and 10... the rest I know functionally nothing about other than what I've read.

<A HREF="http://www.acnc.com/04_01_00.html" target="_new">http://www.acnc.com/04_01_00.html</A> is where i pulled most of the info on the ones I wasn't familiar with from.

Shadus