Using Ctrl key and Shift key

When I am using the Shift or the ctrl key to select multiple files on the
desktop that I want to move to another folder they are not allowing me to
select multiple files only one at a time. What is wrong?

Jim

On Wed, 15 Jun 2005 13:08:35 -0600, big jim wrote:

> When I am using the Shift or the ctrl key to select multiple files on the
> desktop that I want to move to another folder they are not allowing me to
> select multiple files only one at a time. What is wrong?
>
> Jim

Mike has explained the mechanics of using Shift and Ctrl to select files.
Just wanted to add that these selection methods can be combined. Example,
after selecting a bunch of contiguous files using Shift, you can switch to
using Ctrl+click to add or remove files from the current selections.

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

I dont think you guys understand my problem. I know the mechanics in
selecting multiple files but when I hold the shift key and select a 2nd file
it moves off the first file and goes to the 2nd file. Same thing happens
when I use the Ctrl key.

Jim

> On Wed, 15 Jun 2005 13:08:35 -0600, big jim wrote:
>
>> When I am using the Shift or the ctrl key to select multiple files on the
>> desktop that I want to move to another folder they are not allowing me to
>> select multiple files only one at a time. What is wrong?
>>
>> Jim
>
> Mike has explained the mechanics of using Shift and Ctrl to select files.
> Just wanted to add that these selection methods can be combined. Example,
> after selecting a bunch of contiguous files using Shift, you can switch to
> using Ctrl+click to add or remove files from the current selections.
>
> --
> Sharon F
> MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

To select multiple files using the SHIFT key

Press and HOLD the SHIFT key.. select the first file that you want.. while
still pressing and HOLDING the SHIFT key, select the last file that you
want.. ALL files between the first and last will now be highlighted..

If you continue to hold the SHIFT key, the mouse can be used to MOVE the
highlighted selection to another location.. take note of the word 'MOVE'..

Alternatively, after selecting the files using the above method, you can
switch to the CTRL key.. pressing and holding the CTRL key, you can now COPY
the files to another location

OK so far?..

To select multiple files using the CTRL key

Press and HOLD the CTRL.. select the first file that you want.. while still
pressing and HOLDING the CTRL key, select any other files that you want..
they do not have to be consecutive..

If you continue to hold the CTRL key, the mouse can be used to COPY the
highlighted selection to another location.. take note of the word 'COPY'..
after selecting files in this way, you can't then use SHIFT to move them..
they will just be copied..

Good luck

--
Mike Hall
MVP - Windows Shell/User

it all to themselves." - Lane Kirkland

On Wed, 15 Jun 2005 17:28:30 -0600, big jim wrote:

> I dont think you guys understand my problem. I know the mechanics in
> selecting multiple files but when I hold the shift key and select a 2nd file
> it moves off the first file and goes to the 2nd file. Same thing happens
> when I use the Ctrl key.
>
> Jim

Suggestions:

Try a different keyboard.

Check that "ignore repeated keystrokes" is not enabled under Accessibility
Options> Keyboard> Filter Keys> Settings. Check for similar settings in
your keyboard's software (control panel> keyboard).

If using a keyboard modifying program, disable it to see if the problem
clears up.

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

HarrY

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

I have exactly the same problem (running Windows XP Professional), both in
Windows Explorer and in Outlook. Have tried using a different keyboard to no
avail and the relevant help desk just tells me to reinstall Windows, which is
an unacceptable solution until all else has failed.

I was full of hope for Sharon's suggestion, which seemed to make such good
sense, but in this case unfortunately it did not work. No other help facility
seems to have heard of the problem. I pray someone will come up with the
solution.

Harry
--
Harry