Boot up problem

I have a client whose computer (WindowsXP Pro) boots up only as far as to
the desktop background but no more - no icons.

Booting to safe mode, diagnostics, or last known good boot-up doesn't make
any difference.

Anyone got any ideas on how to resolve this please.

Many thanks.

Bill Ridgeway
Computer Solutions
9 answers Last reply
More about boot problem

    Your question is not quite clear. Do you want to see your desktop icons?
    Right-click the desktop, click "Arrange Icons By...', click "Show Desktop
    Icons".

    OR... do you mean you don't get any Start Menu, taskbar etc? Please clarify.

    John

    "Bill Ridgeway" <info@1001solutions.co.uk> wrote in message
    >I have a client whose computer (WindowsXP Pro) boots up only as far as to
    >the desktop background but no more - no icons.
    >
    > Booting to safe mode, diagnostics, or last known good boot-up doesn't make
    > any difference.
    >
    > Anyone got any ideas on how to resolve this please.
    >
    > Many thanks.
    >
    > Bill Ridgeway
    > Computer Solutions

    Hi.. Hmmm.. Can you make new icons for him? Just drag a file from explorer
    to his desktop and create shortcut.. Then sign off/on and see if that one
    stays? Maybe something happened to the "C:\Documents and Settings\(user
    name)\Desktop" folder? Like it got erased and there are no icons to
    display? If you navigate to that location, is there anything there? That's
    wierd as for NO icons to be displayed, "C:\Documents and Settings\All
    Users\Desktop" would need to be empty as well.

    Does the start menu and everything else work OK? Just no icons?

    How about if you right click on desktop, click properties, click the desktop
    tab and then the "Customize Desktop" button, are any of the desktop icons
    flagged?

    "Bill Ridgeway" wrote:

    > I have a client whose computer (WindowsXP Pro) boots up only as far as to
    > the desktop background but no more - no icons.
    >
    > Booting to safe mode, diagnostics, or last known good boot-up doesn't make
    > any difference.
    >
    > Anyone got any ideas on how to resolve this please.
    >
    > Many thanks.
    >
    > Bill Ridgeway
    > Computer Solutions

    Sorry if I wasn't clear. When I said <<boots up only as far as to the
    desktop background but no more - no icons>> I meant just that. No icons.
    No task bar. Nothing more to do other than to switch off! It freezes.

    Regards.

    Bill Ridgeway
    Computer Solutions

    "John Rampling" <John@NOSPAM.com> wrote in message
    > Your question is not quite clear. Do you want to see your desktop icons?
    > Right-click the desktop, click "Arrange Icons By...', click "Show Desktop
    > Icons".
    >
    > OR... do you mean you don't get any Start Menu, taskbar etc? Please
    > clarify.
    >
    > John
    >
    > "Bill Ridgeway" <info@1001solutions.co.uk> wrote in message
    >>I have a client whose computer (WindowsXP Pro) boots up only as far as to
    >>the desktop background but no more - no icons.
    >>
    >> Booting to safe mode, diagnostics, or last known good boot-up doesn't
    >> make any difference.
    >>
    >> Anyone got any ideas on how to resolve this please.
    >>
    >> Many thanks.
    >>
    >> Bill Ridgeway
    >> Computer Solutions

    Taskbar Is Missing When You Log On to Windows
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;318027

    Start Menu and Windows Task Bar Are Missing After You Upgrade to Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;818150

    In Windows, why do my Start button and Taskbar seem to be missing?
    http://kb.indiana.edu/data/abhv.html?cust=838017.91984.30

    Also here...

    Read the instructions at the top.
    164. Restore Taskbar to Default Functionality

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:d8q96q$d8v$1@news6.svr.pol.co.uk,
    Bill Ridgeway <info@1001solutions.co.uk> hunted and pecked:
    > Sorry if I wasn't clear. When I said <<boots up only as far as to the
    > desktop background but no more - no icons>> I meant just that. No icons.
    > No task bar. Nothing more to do other than to switch off! It freezes.
    >
    > Regards.
    >
    > Bill Ridgeway
    > Computer Solutions
    >
    > "John Rampling" <John@NOSPAM.com> wrote in message
    >> Your question is not quite clear. Do you want to see your desktop icons?
    >> Right-click the desktop, click "Arrange Icons By...', click "Show Desktop
    >> Icons".
    >>
    >> OR... do you mean you don't get any Start Menu, taskbar etc? Please
    >> clarify.
    >>
    >> John
    >>
    >> "Bill Ridgeway" <info@1001solutions.co.uk> wrote in message
    >>> I have a client whose computer (WindowsXP Pro) boots up only as far as
    >>> to the desktop background but no more - no icons.
    >>>
    >>> Booting to safe mode, diagnostics, or last known good boot-up doesn't
    >>> make any difference.
    >>>
    >>> Anyone got any ideas on how to resolve this please.
    >>>
    >>> Many thanks.
    >>>
    >>> Bill Ridgeway
    >>> Computer Solutions

    Bill; can you get ctrl+alt+del to show anything?... if yes, clic on
    taskmanager and select New Task and type Explorer.exe.... if you get nothing
    with ctr+alt+del or Explorer.exe produces nothing, it's probably a hardware
    related issue.... in that case start removing unnecesary hardware devices
    untill you have a normal logon.

    ------------------------------------

    > Taskbar Is Missing When You Log On to Windows
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;318027
    >
    > Start Menu and Windows Task Bar Are Missing After You Upgrade to Windows
    XP
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;818150
    >
    > In Windows, why do my Start button and Taskbar seem to be missing?
    > http://kb.indiana.edu/data/abhv.html?cust=838017.91984.30
    >
    > Also here...
    >
    > Read the instructions at the top.
    > 164. Restore Taskbar to Default Functionality
    >
    > --
    > Hope this helps. Let us know.
    >
    > Wes
    > MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    >
    > In news:d8q96q$d8v$1@news6.svr.pol.co.uk,
    > Bill Ridgeway <info@1001solutions.co.uk> hunted and pecked:
    > > Sorry if I wasn't clear. When I said <<boots up only as far as to the
    > > desktop background but no more - no icons>> I meant just that. No
    icons.
    > > No task bar. Nothing more to do other than to switch off! It freezes.
    > >
    > > Regards.
    > >
    > > Bill Ridgeway
    > > Computer Solutions
    > >
    > > "John Rampling" <John@NOSPAM.com> wrote in message
    > >> Your question is not quite clear. Do you want to see your desktop
    icons?
    > >> Right-click the desktop, click "Arrange Icons By...', click "Show
    Desktop
    > >> Icons".
    > >>
    > >> OR... do you mean you don't get any Start Menu, taskbar etc? Please
    > >> clarify.
    > >>
    > >> John
    > >>
    > >> "Bill Ridgeway" <info@1001solutions.co.uk> wrote in message

    Hope the other replies get you sorted out Bill. If not, I had the same
    problem just after installing a Windows Update (God, the problems I've had
    with Windows Update but that's another story). The only solution was to go
    back to a previous Restore point in Safe Mode. If you can't even get into
    Safe Mode then it's a repair installation I'm afraid.

    I hope you sort out your client's problem.

    John

    "Bill Ridgeway" <info@1001solutions.co.uk> wrote in message
    > Sorry if I wasn't clear. When I said <<boots up only as far as to the
    > desktop background but no more - no icons>> I meant just that. No icons.
    > No task bar. Nothing more to do other than to switch off! It freezes.
    >
    > Regards.
    >
    > Bill Ridgeway
    > Computer Solutions

    Thanks John.

    Unfortunately, I cannot get passed the Desktop background so cannot do a
    <Cntrl><Alt>Del> to get into Task Manager let alone to a previous Restore
    point. I'm beginning to think that I need to temporarily install his HD in
    my computer to check for spyware and viruses (resolution of which may still
    corpse the computer) or (even worse without a backup) re-install Windows XP.

    I'm still open to any other suggestions though.

    > Hope the other replies get you sorted out Bill. If not, I had the same
    > problem just after installing a Windows Update (God, the problems I've had
    > with Windows Update but that's another story). The only solution was to go
    > back to a previous Restore point in Safe Mode. If you can't even get into
    > Safe Mode then it's a repair installation I'm afraid.
    >
    > I hope you sort out your client's problem.
    >
    > John
    >
    > "Bill Ridgeway" <info@1001solutions.co.uk> wrote in message
    >> Sorry if I wasn't clear. When I said <<boots up only as far as to the
    >> desktop background but no more - no icons>> I meant just that. No
    >> icons. No task bar. Nothing more to do other than to switch off! It
    >> freezes.
    >>
    >> Regards.
    >>
    >> Bill Ridgeway
    >> Computer Solutions

    Bill: With your client's HD instaled as slave on your computer, if it's
    running the NTFS file system, you can take Ownership of the drive and backup
    his important files.. If it runs the FAT232 files system you shouldn't have
    any trouble accessing the slave hard drive.

    Describes how to take ownership of files or folders that you may not have
    permissions for if you are an administrator for that computer.

    How to set, view, change, or remove file and folder permissions in Windows
    XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;308418
    Explains how to set and modify permissions in Windows XP.

    How to set, view, change, or remove special permissions for files and
    folders in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;308419
    Describes how to configure special permissions for files and folders in
    Windows XP.

    Or you could try and access the system by means of the Recovery Console with
    the Windows XP CD, and try to perform a repair of some sort, some startup
    problems are related to registry corruption, some to incompatable drivers or
    services, and some to spyware damage to the registry. Here are solutions
    for each of the said problems which show symptoms related to startup
    problems all of which can be repaired trhough the Recovery Console.

    How to Disable a Service or Device that Prevents Windows from Starting
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en;310602

    How to recover from a corrupted registry that prevents Windows XP from
    starting.
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;307545

    Read; Blazefind Problem
    http://rickrogers.org/fixes.htm

    Hope any of these help.

    > Thanks John.
    >
    > Unfortunately, I cannot get passed the Desktop background so cannot do a
    > <Cntrl><Alt>Del> to get into Task Manager let alone to a previous Restore
    > point. I'm beginning to think that I need to temporarily install his HD
    in
    > my computer to check for spyware and viruses (resolution of which may
    still
    > corpse the computer) or (even worse without a backup) re-install Windows
    XP.

    > I'm still open to any other suggestions though.
    >
    > Regards.
    >
    > Bill Ridgeway
    > Computer Solutions
    >
    > "John Rampling" <John@NOSPAM.com> wrote in message
    > > Hope the other replies get you sorted out Bill. If not, I had the same
    > > problem just after installing a Windows Update (God, the problems I've
    had
    > > with Windows Update but that's another story). The only solution was to
    go
    > > back to a previous Restore point in Safe Mode. If you can't even get
    into
    > > Safe Mode then it's a repair installation I'm afraid.
    > >
    > > I hope you sort out your client's problem.
    > >
    > > John
    > >
    > > "Bill Ridgeway" <info@1001solutions.co.uk> wrote in message
    > >> Sorry if I wasn't clear. When I said <<boots up only as far as to the
    > >> desktop background but no more - no icons>> I meant just that. No
    > >> icons. No task bar. Nothing more to do other than to switch off! It
    > >> freezes.
    > >>
    > >> Regards.
    > >>
    > >> Bill Ridgeway
    > >> Computer Solutions