Upgrade from 32-bit Vista Ultimate to 64-bit Windows 7

ixpro

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
Hello,

I have 2 questions I hope someone can help me with.

Q1. I have a Dell XPS 630i running Windows Vista Ultimate 32-bit edition. I presume it is capable of running Win 7 64-bit version. I don't really know if I need to bother with the "ultimate" part, and can probably live with a simple home edition or professional. I do run a bunch of obscure old programs like older games from DOS times. Would I need Professional for that backward compatibility? Can I "upgrade" from Vista Ultimate 32-bit to Win 7 Professional or Home 64-bit, or does the upgrade only work for the matched versions?

Q2. I really really don't trust upgrades. They tend to leave so much junk behind. I would much rather backup my files to my external USB drive, and do a fresh install of Win 7 not leaving a bit of old data behind. Is that possible with an upgrade CD distribution or do I have to purchase the more expensive non-upgrade disks to do a "really-really-clean" install? :) How does the upgrade verify that it is actually an upgrade? Does it ask for the Vista install CD? I have one of those that came from Dell, not sure if it will work. Does the upgrade have an option to locate your current install on the disk, and then say "Nuke it and install a new version!" ?

Thanks a bunch!

mhelm1

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2010
First you will need Win 7 profesional. (comes with XP mode for older games)
Next, you can not upgrade Vista 32 bit to 7 64 bit.
Do a clean install( formatted HD ) During install it will look for the older version of the software, just insert the Vista 32 disk and point to it for installation to continue.
Then it depends on what dell supplied on the disk. is it an OEM version?
is it just a repair disk or a full install retail version?.
Last question no, but it would sure be nice.

ixpro

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
Thank you for your answers. My last question is, if I wanna go to Win 7 Pro 64-bit, do i need to purchase a non-upgrade more expensive version or can I buy the cheaper Win 7 Pro 64-bit Upgrade package?