nick

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Hi I need help I have win xp pro on my computer and it has problems i just
bought win xp home edition i want to enable cdrom to boot from cd replace xp
pro hd with new clean hd reboot computer so the cdrom starts win xp home
setup and installs it on computer then swap out drives again and put xp home
as slave and pro as master copy files and settings from pro to home then
reswap drives to make the home edition drive the master and keep pro drive if
i ever need back up but run computer on xp home edition can this be done?? or
will i have problems?

thanx in advance
Nick

"nick" <nick@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi I need help I have win xp pro on my computer and it has problems i just
> bought win xp home edition i want to enable cdrom to boot from cd replace
> xp
> pro hd with new clean hd reboot computer so the cdrom starts win xp home
> setup and installs it on computer then swap out drives again and put xp
> home
> as slave and pro as master copy files and settings from pro to home then
> reswap drives to make the home edition drive the master and keep pro drive
> if
> i ever need back up but run computer on xp home edition can this be done??
> or
> will i have problems?
>
> thanx in advance
> Nick
Stick with XP Pro. There is absolutely no known advantage to what you are
proposing. If XP Pro isn't up to SP2 level, you do have problems. Not the
operating system, but you. With a few exceptions the code is identical.

The longer I puzzle over your situation, the less that I understand.

By the way you have posted this same question three times. You won't get an
answer three times as fast.

On Thu, 16 Jun 2005 12:28:03 -0700, nick wrote:

> Hi I need help I have win xp pro on my computer and it has problems i just
> bought win xp home edition i want to enable cdrom to boot from cd replace xp
> pro hd with new clean hd reboot computer so the cdrom starts win xp home
> setup and installs it on computer then swap out drives again and put xp home
> as slave and pro as master copy files and settings from pro to home then
> reswap drives to make the home edition drive the master and keep pro drive if
> i ever need back up but run computer on xp home edition can this be done?? or
> will i have problems?
>
> thanx in advance
> Nick

Plan B:
While in XP Pro, run the Files and Settings Transfer Wizard (FASTW) and
save the resulting file on your XP Pro hard drive. Pull out the drive. Put
new one in. Install XP Home. Leave the drive as master. Place the XP Pro
drive in as slave.

Login to XP Home. Run FASTW and direct it to the folder previously created
on the XP Pro drive. Transfer over any other data files you want in Home.

At this point, I would dump the XP Pro setup and use its drive as extra
storage. An operating system that is sitting around doing nothing is a
waste of space. While I can see your point of having a setup to fall back
on, I would use a different solution such as imaging software instead.

If I was going to keep that setup, I think I would add a boot manager or
leave the drive mounted in the case but disconnect it.

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

Latest posts