AION problems, please help!

Lortheron

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2009
Hi everyone, I would please like some help with this following mater. I have a very decent hardware and should be able to run AION somoothly, seeing the game's recomended settings (I have way better stuff than needed -- check my configuration and the end of the post please). The thing is, when runing with everything maxed out (4xAA, 1680x1050) I, sometimes (pretty frequent) experience FPS ratings even lower than 30FPS! And more, it doesn't matter if the AA is on 0x or 8x (yeah I AM "applying" the settings) or even if I tweak other graphic efects, even vSync, the FPS diference is, at best, 5 on avarage from the ALL MAXED to the ALL LOWERED. Another interesting fact is that when I ask the game to set the "recomended" settings for my rig with the auto-scan function it maxes out everything and put the resolution on the max possible, meaning the game was made for and knows that it should run fully maxed with my settings. So, thing is I run Crysis perfectly maxed (except from shadders, which is on medium) with 2xAA, 1680x1050 at an avarage 55FPS (no kidding) and run other demanding games maxed out, like Farcry2, DawnOfWar2, UnrealTournament3 etc. The only games I got problems with is AION and AgeOfConan. So, on the AION mater, please (check of my hardware) and tell me, is there any tweek or anything, like a driver (nVidia) that works better with AION (no, the LAST ones -RE NOT always -and for most of games this is sadly true- exacly the BETTER ones to run an especifc game with max FPSs possible), anything. Some people even told me that I should take my soundcard (Razer Barracuda AC-1) off and test the game's FPS, I fail to see why and how could this improve my FPS rating that much, since it (at least should) increases it (on theory) by taking work of the Motherboard, so I didn't tryed that (yet, if anyone convinces me with how it could work, I might give a try). So, again, anything (BIOS tweeks, drivers, etc.) that can help me, I would be VERY GLAD! Just be ware the I ALREADY tried all the basic stuff, like cleaning and reisntaling AION (compleatly) and nVidia ForceWare and nForce drivers trough Windows safe-mode, using driver sweper toll and re-downloading everything. And, NO, none of theese "solutions" have worked. Sorry for the long post! And thanks for reading.

*Sorry for the english, it's not my main lenguage.

Computer settings:
_Microsoft Windows Vista x64bits.
_Intel QX6800 2.9GHz OC'd to 3.5GHz. (temps. go to 74C. at peak with full load, thanks to Noctua's NHU-12P Heatsink with 2xNoctua 120mm coolers)
_EVGA nVidia nForce 780i. (A1 Version, with last BIOS -- P80)
_4x2GB DDR2 800Mhz Patriot Viper RAM. (5-5-5-15 timing, non-OC'd)
_PNY nVidia geForce GTX295 VGA 829MBx2. (multi-GPU/SLI on, Physx on, non-OC'd, last 190.62 WHQL drivers)
_Razer Barracuda AC-1 Gaming Sound Card 24bit and 96KHz interface. (Last 2.23 Vista non-WHQL drivers -- WHQL unaviable from Razer)
_1000W Akasa Power Max 80+ and SLI certified Power Supply Unit. (1100w at low temps. and peak load)
_2x500GB Samsung Spinpoint 7200RMP HDs with 8MB of cache each. (Never crashed, never had any problem)

sirkillalot

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2006
"""And, NO, none of theese "solutions" have worked"""

Thats because **the hard ware is not the problem. **notice that u said only AION and conan as you know they are online games ....
so its the connection of your internet speed +
the country where the host is connecting you + comparred to where you are
get a private ip address, it costs a little more but it runs a lot better for online games i know i tryed it and now i have no lag in all my online games, unlike b4 i died so many times cause of the dam lag :( i feel your pain :)

welshmousepk

Distinguished
do you have vsync on?

but in this case i would imagine its more to do with latency. ive found the Lag in aion to be unbearble at times. i usually just get rubberbanding and warping, but it can also affect the framerates.

Lowerping.com offer a 30 day free trial, id recomend giving it a go. the service works well and lowers ping considerably. and it should at least help you identify if the problem is related to latency.

Lortheron

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2009

Ok, we are talking about FramesPerSecond here not online network performance. Anyways, my ping rate in AION is an avarage of 400ms, not great, but good and very smoothly playable, not even close to the ping needed to start afecting FPSs. Anyways, thanks for trying to help.

Lortheron

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2009
Confirmed that when I turn one of GPUs off (trough nVidia's control panel) the FPS increases in very noticable way, around 8 to 14 on avarege compared to when SLI is on, its not as good has it should run, but it is alot more playable (since, most of the times,its always runing on more than 30fps with ecerything maxed 4xAA and 1680x1050 with vSync on that way -- only 1GPU on). Again, that is using only one GPU on videocard that is made to use always both. Using only one GPU in the GTX295 is the same runing an hypothetical "GTX270", so FPS is far from great... Guess the game has some REAL bad SLI support, which is a shame (specialy when I consider the price of an HD5870 compared to a GTX295...).

Lortheron

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2009

Tried, got like... 3FPS of diferance...

sirkillalot

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2006
I know its fps but its still based on the network performance as well as the hardware (which shouldnt bother you eg crysis)
Ive been playing games online and off for 20 years (give or take)ive had a little experience with lag and after many years with lag in many games online the day i got my private ip address it was gone i never had a slow down or jerky-ness or 1 death, cause i was unable to move due to lag.
Did you try putting EVERYTHING to minimum res included to 800x600 then let me know
O yea also is there a difference in the time of day you play? peek times can be slow

ps i notice from the forums online a few people with sli are having the same problems so try 1 card and see what happens