"A or B" side?

Is Verizon the "a" or "b"carrier? I'm in the NYC area if location matters.
With my LG4500 not having analog, will I be able to get another carrier on
"the other side" (whether it be the a or b side)? Just wondering.

Bob
45 answers Last reply
More about side

    I believe A/B side was originally when analog only cellular came out.
    The B side was usually the "wireline" phone company and A side was the
    other. With mergers and acquisitions this may not always be the case now
    though.

    On Sun, 04 Jul 2004 14:30:59 GMT, Dave <davids1955@earthlink.net>
    wrote:

    >I believe A/B side was originally when analog only cellular came out.
    >The B side was usually the "wireline" phone company and A side was the
    >other. With mergers and acquisitions this may not always be the case now
    >though.

    B was in fact used for Analog, however your statement about wireline
    isn't correct. B was GTE / now Verizon, A was cellular one, now AT&T.

    Evan

    Dave <davids1955@earthlink.net> wrote:
    > I believe A/B side was originally when analog only cellular came out.
    > The B side was usually the "wireline" phone company and A side was the
    > other. With mergers and acquisitions this may not always be the case now
    > though.

    Verizon Wireless used to be Bell Atlantic Mobile in New York, so they'd
    be B side.

    Verizon Wireless in Los Angeles was formerly AirTouch and would be A.

    Verizon Wireless in Nashville was formerly GTE and therefore would be B.

    Depends on where you are and which company Verizon Wireless bought in your
    area. In my hometown, AirTouch flipped to VZW and GTE, which also served
    the area, went away - their network was sold to Alltel. AirTouch was the
    "alternate" carrier, thus they were A side, and GTE Wireless was the
    carrier owned by the landline company and thus was B side.

    A/B doesn't matter anymore in areas where there are digital signals. The
    Preferred Roaming List dictates which networks your phone will work on.

    wrote:

    >I believe A/B side was originally when analog only cellular came out.
    >The B side was usually the "wireline" phone company and A side was the
    >other. With mergers and acquisitions this may not always be the case now
    >though.

    Here, VZW is the A side carrier (Cleveland/Akron/Canton, OH) and
    Alltel is the B side carrier. I'm not entirely sure how that ended up
    that way, likely through various acquisitions...so many cell phone
    companies have changed hands, that likely nearly everywhere, you can't
    say "A" is x-type of company and "B" is another type.

    Just because another company is on the other "A/B" side, doesn't mean
    you can access it. VZW does not have Alltel in its PRL here in the
    Cleveland/Akron area...and the phone will go to the PRL before
    anything. About the only way you could really get Alltel is forcing
    your phone to the B side, and I'm not even sure that would work if
    there was a usable VZW signal on the A side. If you were within
    Alltel's B side Cleveland/Akron coverage, and not within VZW's
    (unlikely), it may dump into Alltel.

    This isn't the case in all markets with A/B "cellular" carriers. In
    Greensboro/High Point/Winston-Salem, NC, Alltel's system IS in
    friendly roam status for VZW users.

    Mike

    "Steven J Sobol" <sjsobol@JustThe.net> wrote in message
    > Dave <davids1955@earthlink.net> wrote:
    > > I believe A/B side was originally when analog only cellular came out.
    > > The B side was usually the "wireline" phone company and A side was the
    > > other. With mergers and acquisitions this may not always be the case now
    > > though.
    >
    > Verizon Wireless used to be Bell Atlantic Mobile in New York, so they'd
    > be B side.
    >
    > Verizon Wireless in Los Angeles was formerly AirTouch and would be A.

    Actually Steven, VZW in Los Angeles was orginally PacTel and is the the B
    side. What became AT&T is the A side. In 1994 if I remeber correctly PacTel
    spun off it cellular unit and it became AirTouch.

    Evan Platt <evan@theobvious.espphotography.com> wrote:
    > On Sun, 04 Jul 2004 14:30:59 GMT, Dave <davids1955@earthlink.net>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>I believe A/B side was originally when analog only cellular came out.
    >>The B side was usually the "wireline" phone company and A side was the
    >>other. With mergers and acquisitions this may not always be the case now
    >>though.
    >
    > B was in fact used for Analog, however your statement about wireline
    > isn't correct. B was GTE / now Verizon, A was cellular one, now AT&T.

    Yes. You just agreed with Dave. GTE was the wireline/"Bell" carrier,
    Cell One was the "Alternate."

    JW <jw@jw.net> wrote:

    > Actually Steven, VZW in Los Angeles was orginally PacTel and is the the B
    > side. What became AT&T is the A side. In 1994 if I remeber correctly PacTel
    > spun off it cellular unit and it became AirTouch.

    Bah, you're right. I just got rid of my VZW phones but I know they are
    both set to Automatic A :)

    I think AirTouch was created from a cellular unit of USWest, though, right?
    and PacTel sold to USWest...

    On Sun, 04 Jul 2004 15:11:19 -0500, Steven J Sobol
    <sjsobol@JustThe.net> wrote:

    >I think AirTouch was created from a cellular unit of USWest, though, right?
    >and PacTel sold to USWest...

    Airtouch was in existance before USWest. USWest cellular sold their
    cellular license to Airtouch. Of course Airtouch became part of
    Verizon Wireless.

    remove NONO from .NONOcom to reply

    Mike <inundated9@yahoo.com> wrote:
    > On Sun, 04 Jul 2004 14:30:59 GMT, Dave <davids1955@earthlink.net>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>I believe A/B side was originally when analog only cellular came out.
    >>The B side was usually the "wireline" phone company and A side was the
    >>other. With mergers and acquisitions this may not always be the case now
    >>though.
    >
    > Here, VZW is the A side carrier (Cleveland/Akron/Canton, OH) and
    > Alltel is the B side carrier. I'm not entirely sure how that ended up
    > that way, likely through various acquisitions

    Easy. VZW consists of Bell Atlantic Mobile + AirTouch + GTE Wireless +
    Primeco. AirTouch and GTE Wireless both had a presence in Cleveland. The
    decision was made to flip AirTouch, which was A, and GTE (B-side) sold off
    its Cleveland cellular network to Alltel.

    > This isn't the case in all markets with A/B "cellular" carriers. In
    > Greensboro/High Point/Winston-Salem, NC, Alltel's system IS in
    > friendly roam status for VZW users.

    No point to roam on Alltel if you're a VZW customer in Cleveland - the
    footprint is pretty much identical. You CAN roam on Extended Network on
    Alltel in Youngstown because Verizon isn't in Youngstown.

    "B" Side.

    http://www.mountainwireless.com/uscellmap.htm

    Scotty

    "Bob" <rfa5@optonline.net> wrote in message
    > Is Verizon the "a" or "b"carrier? I'm in the NYC area if location
    matters.
    > With my LG4500 not having analog, will I be able to get another carrier on
    > "the other side" (whether it be the a or b side)? Just wondering.
    >
    > Bob

    "Bob" <rfa5@optonline.net> wrote in message
    > Is Verizon the "a" or "b"carrier? I'm in the NYC area if location
    matters.
    > With my LG4500 not having analog, will I be able to get another carrier on
    > "the other side" (whether it be the a or b side)? Just wondering.
    >
    > Bob

    A & B just refer to the old designations for the incumbent (wired) carrier
    and the wireless carrier on the original 800 MHz analog cell systems. If
    you were using an analog phone in NYC on VZW it would list "B" as the
    serving system. But even though A & B are analog designations my bill always
    lists the digital calls I make in NYC as "New York/B".

    Since your digital phone is CDMA the only other system your phone can use is
    Sprint which is neither A or B and is digital only PCS.

    BTW, I also have a vx4500 and don't view digital only as being an issue.

    "Evan Platt" <evan@TheObvious.espphotography.com> wrote in message
    > On Sun, 04 Jul 2004 14:30:59 GMT, Dave <davids1955@earthlink.net>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >I believe A/B side was originally when analog only cellular came out.
    > >The B side was usually the "wireline" phone company and A side was the
    > >other. With mergers and acquisitions this may not always be the case now
    > >though.
    >
    > B was in fact used for Analog, however your statement about wireline
    > isn't correct. B was GTE / now Verizon, A was cellular one, now AT&T.
    >
    > Evan

    What the heck are you talking about?! A/B side refers to the radio band. It
    has nothing to do with whether it is analog or digital transmission within
    those frequencies.

    In any given market area (one or more counties usually), the FCC gave 800
    MHz cellular licenses to two companies. The B-side of the band was primarely
    given to the baby "Bell" operating companies, or whatever the traditional
    land-line phone company was in the area. The A-side of the band was given to
    an Alternate company, one that didn't operate a local land-line phone
    company.

    Eventually as you mentioned, companies merged with each other and we ended
    up with some companies owning the A-band license in certain areas and the
    B-side license in others. In yet other areas, some companies now own PCS
    licenses (1900 Mhz instead of 800 MHz)

    Also, you make no sense to mention GTE/Verizon or Cellular One / AT&T
    without referencing WHERE you are talking about. Cellular One is still in
    business. They still operate the A band where I live. But, many of Cellular
    One's systems were sold off to various companies. Some Cellular One systems
    even went to Verizon. They didn't ALL go to AT&T like you mentioned. Also in
    this area Verizon took over Airtouch, not GTE.

    -Jeff

    You would be correct sir.
    PAC*TEL, then Airtouch, now Verizon is on the "B" side.
    LA Cellular, then AT&T, Now Cingular is on the "A" side.

    Scotty

    "JW" <jw@jw.net> wrote in message news:GcWFc.45956$Yu.16751@fed1read04...

    > "Steven J Sobol" <sjsobol@JustThe.net> wrote in message
    > > Dave <davids1955@earthlink.net> wrote:
    > > > I believe A/B side was originally when analog only cellular came out.

    <snip>

    > Actually Steven, VZW in Los Angeles was orginally PacTel and is the the B
    > side. What became AT&T is the A side. In 1994 if I remeber correctly
    PacTel
    > spun off it cellular unit and it became AirTouch.

    <snip>

    > > --
    > > JustThe.net Internet & New Media Services, http://JustThe.net/
    > > Steven J. Sobol, Geek In Charge / 888.480.4NET (4638) /
    > sjsobol@JustThe.net
    > > PGP Key available from your friendly local key server (0xE3AE35ED)
    > > Apple Valley, California Nothing scares me anymore. I have three
    kids.

    On Sun, 04 Jul 2004 18:46:50 GMT, "Scott Nelson - Wash DC"
    <spamcop@bnmnetworks.net> wrote:

    >You would be correct sir.
    >PAC*TEL, then Airtouch, now Verizon is on the "B" side.
    >LA Cellular, then AT&T, Now Cingular is on the "A" side.

    Don't go rushing the gun. cingular in California formerly Pac Bel is
    *not* yet an A carrier. When the acquisition of AT&T Wireless it will
    be. For now cingular is not an A or B cellular operator in
    California.

    remove NONO from .NONOcom to reply

    Sorry, wrong....
    U S West was U S West New Vector, the original "B" licensee in many of the
    western 14 states that U S West (RBOC) operated in. SEA, DEN, SLC, etc, etc...

    They were in existence from the very beginning of cellular in the US.
    As the fear of Judge Greene subsided, it then became U S West Cellular.
    A few years later, PacBell spun off their wireless into what then became
    AirTouch.

    So, in reality, U S West was in existence BEFORE AirTouch.

    Then there were mergers and more mergers, resulting in Verizon.

    "Joseph" <JoeOfSeattle@yahoo.NONOcom> wrote in message news:etuge010qf3l42tl2uohhr78o1v13e3roq@4ax.com...
    > On Sun, 04 Jul 2004 15:11:19 -0500, Steven J Sobol
    > <sjsobol@JustThe.net> wrote:
    >
    > >I think AirTouch was created from a cellular unit of USWest, though, right?
    > >and PacTel sold to USWest...
    >
    > Airtouch was in existance before USWest. USWest cellular sold their
    > cellular license to Airtouch. Of course Airtouch became part of
    > Verizon Wireless.

    > remove NONO from .NONOcom to reply

    Here in Southeast Virginia, its just reverse. Alltel is the 'A' carrier
    and Verizon is the 'B' carrier, however, Alltel is NOT in the Verizon
    PRL here either.

    Mike wrote:
    > On Sun, 04 Jul 2004 14:30:59 GMT, Dave <davids1955@earthlink.net>
    > wrote:
    >

    >>I believe A/B side was originally when analog only cellular came out.
    >>The B side was usually the "wireline" phone company and A side was the
    >>other. With mergers and acquisitions this may not always be the case now
    >>though.
    >

    > Here, VZW is the A side carrier (Cleveland/Akron/Canton, OH) and
    > Alltel is the B side carrier. I'm not entirely sure how that ended up
    > that way, likely through various acquisitions...so many cell phone
    > companies have changed hands, that likely nearly everywhere, you can't
    > say "A" is x-type of company and "B" is another type.
    >
    > Just because another company is on the other "A/B" side, doesn't mean
    > you can access it. VZW does not have Alltel in its PRL here in the
    > Cleveland/Akron area...and the phone will go to the PRL before
    > anything. About the only way you could really get Alltel is forcing
    > your phone to the B side, and I'm not even sure that would work if
    > there was a usable VZW signal on the A side. If you were within
    > Alltel's B side Cleveland/Akron coverage, and not within VZW's
    > (unlikely), it may dump into Alltel.
    >
    > This isn't the case in all markets with A/B "cellular" carriers. In
    > Greensboro/High Point/Winston-Salem, NC, Alltel's system IS in
    > friendly roam status for VZW users.
    >
    > Mike

    "Bob" <rfa5@optonline.net> wrote in message
    > Is Verizon the "a" or "b"carrier? I'm in the NYC area if location
    matters.
    > With my LG4500 not having analog, will I be able to get another carrier on
    > "the other side" (whether it be the a or b side)? Just wondering.
    >
    > Bob

    I also have a LG VX4500. A couple of weeks ago, I drove to the country to
    see. Twenty minutes of driving on the expressway, I noticed an icon
    blinking on the phone's symbols display. I pulled over in a rest area to
    see the glossary of symbols. That symbol was for roaming (the triangle
    icon). I decided not to use the phone because I may incur exurbitant
    roaming charges! When I reached my destination, the signal strength
    indicator showed full signal strength BUT the icon was still flashing.

    I decided to switch to System A and dialed *611! I was gonna ask the
    customer service rep "Can YOU hear me now?". BUT I didn't get the familiar
    VZW "Welcome to Verizon Wireless..." voice prompt. Instead, I got a live
    sexy sounding lady on the other end of the line saying "Sir, you are
    roaming! If you continue to use our system, we will bill your carrier,
    which in turn will bill you." I said I'm sorry, and hang up. I switched my
    phone back to system "B".

    When I got home I called customer service. The VZW rep said the flashing
    roaming icon indicates that I'm in an "Extended Network" and I can still use
    my phone free from roaming charges. The solid roaming icon, she said, is
    the one that indicates that I'm really in an area that is not served by VZW,
    and I will charged roaming when I use my phone when in this area.

    On Sun, 04 Jul 2004 14:51:29 -0700, Joseph
    <JoeOfSeattle@yahoo.NONOcom> wrote:

    >Airtouch was in existance before USWest. USWest cellular sold their
    >cellular license to Airtouch. Of course Airtouch became part of
    >Verizon Wireless.

    IIRC, AirTouch came about as a merger of Pac*Tel Cellular and US West
    Cellular. Pac*Tel may have started using the AirTouch name before the
    merger, but I'm not sure.

    Here in the immediate Atlanta area, the original A-side licensee was
    Pac*Tel Cellular, who became AirTouch, who because VZW. (The B-side
    licensee, of course, was BellSouth Mobility, who is now Cingular.)

    -SC
    --
    Stanley Cline -- sc1 at roamer1 dot org -- http://www.roamer1.org/
    "Never put off until tomorrow what you can do today. There might

    On Sun, 04 Jul 2004 10:57:49 -0500, Steven J Sobol
    <sjsobol@JustThe.net> wrote:

    >Verizon Wireless in Nashville was formerly GTE and therefore would be B.

    Nope.

    Cingular (BellSouth) is B-side 850 in Nashville; VZW (McCaw dba
    CellOne -> Contel dba CellOne -> GTE dba CellOne -> GTE -> VZW) is
    A-side 850.

    (Same is true for Chattanooga and Memphis. B-side 850 in Knoxville is
    USCC and not Cingular, though, since TDS, which has landline business
    in suburbs of Knoxville, owns most of USCC and so USCC was able to get
    the B-side license back in the day.)

    -SC
    --

    "George" <george@nospam.invalid> wrote in message

    > "Bob" <rfa5@optonline.net> wrote in message
    > > Is Verizon the "a" or "b"carrier? I'm in the NYC area if location
    > matters.
    > > With my LG4500 not having analog, will I be able to get another carrier
    on
    > > "the other side" (whether it be the a or b side)? Just wondering.
    > >
    > > Bob
    > >
    > A & B just refer to the old designations for the incumbent (wired) carrier
    > and the wireless carrier on the original 800 MHz analog cell systems. If
    > you were using an analog phone in NYC on VZW it would list "B" as the
    > serving system. But even though A & B are analog designations my bill
    always
    > lists the digital calls I make in NYC as "New York/B".

    Correction, A& B are not analog designations but are the groups of channels
    that each carrier has.

    > Since your digital phone is CDMA the only other system your phone can use
    is
    > Sprint which is neither A or B and is digital only PCS.
    >
    > BTW, I also have a vx4500 and don't view digital only as being an issue.

    Yes location matters. I don't about the NY area, but for SE
    Wisc., the A side is USCellular and the B side is Cingular, verizon is
    PCS.

    Bob wrote:

    > Is Verizon the "a" or "b"carrier? I'm in the NYC area if location matters.
    > With my LG4500 not having analog, will I be able to get another carrier on
    > "the other side" (whether it be the a or b side)? Just wondering.
    >
    > Bob

    On Sun, 04 Jul 2004 15:13:26 -0500, Steven J Sobol
    <sjsobol@JustThe.net> wrote:

    >Easy. VZW consists of Bell Atlantic Mobile + AirTouch + GTE Wireless +
    >Primeco. AirTouch and GTE Wireless both had a presence in Cleveland. The
    >decision was made to flip AirTouch, which was A, and GTE (B-side) sold off
    >its Cleveland cellular network to Alltel.

    And this is hard for me to remember, because GTE (at the time) was not
    the dominant landline provider in NE Ohio. GTE, of course, got
    swallowed into Verizon (landline), and even so, Verizon only serves
    parts of this area as the ILEC...places like Medina County, etc.

    And to further complicate things, didn't AirTouch come out of Pacific
    Telephone at some point? ;) (Of course, Pacific Bell wasn't ever a
    landline provider HERE, but since all of the various telecom mergers,
    both areas - NE Ohio and California - are now served by what became
    Pacific Bell's successor company, SBC!)

    >No point to roam on Alltel if you're a VZW customer in Cleveland - the
    >footprint is pretty much identical. You CAN roam on Extended Network on
    >Alltel in Youngstown because Verizon isn't in Youngstown.

    I believe in the Triad area of NC (Greensboro, etc.), the Alltel
    network reaches more rural areas than the VZW network. I know I've
    personally landed on Alltel's Triad SID when leaving that area.

    That's why I said "unlikely" when pointing to the prospect of ending
    up "falling through" the PRL to Alltel's SID here in the
    Cleveland/Akron market. I've never had it happen. I know it's
    possible to land on a non-PRL SID that isn't NEG'ed out... my Nokia
    5185i has picked up U.S. Cellular's SID in Southwest Virginia right in
    the heart of VZW's SID 502 (Roanoke)...but that only happened when I
    was deep within the bowels of the Crossroads Mall shopping center in
    Roanoke, waiting at the DMV! The VZW signal went from weak to
    non-existent, and my phone picked up U.S. Cellular as a roaming
    carrier.

    Mike

    Mike <inundated9@yahoo.com> wrote:

    > And this is hard for me to remember, because GTE (at the time) was not
    > the dominant landline provider in NE Ohio. GTE, of course, got
    > swallowed into Verizon (landline), and even so, Verizon only serves
    > parts of this area as the ILEC...places like Medina County, etc.

    GTE will never be the dominant provider in Northeast Ohio. The former owner
    of Cleveland's first ISP is a telecomms consultant who lives in Medina, which
    of course is GTE/Verizon territory, and his impression was always that GTE
    North treated NE Ohio like a bastard child, and would have been happy to
    exit the market completely.

    > And to further complicate things, didn't AirTouch come out of Pacific
    > Telephone at some point? ;)

    Yes. I've been corrected several times in this thread, so I'll just point you
    to the corrections :)

    That is the result of Verizon buying PrimeCo here, which is a 1900 MHZ
    system.

    --
    All Email is scanned and
    declared Virus free by
    "Jerome Zelinske" <jeromez1@earthlink.net> wrote in message
    > Yes location matters. I don't about the NY area, but for SE
    > Wisc., the A side is USCellular and the B side is Cingular, verizon is
    > PCS.
    >
    > Bob wrote:
    >
    > > Is Verizon the "a" or "b"carrier? I'm in the NYC area if location
    matters.
    > > With my LG4500 not having analog, will I be able to get another carrier
    on
    > > "the other side" (whether it be the a or b side)? Just wondering.
    > >
    > > Bob

    On my VX4500 here in NYC if I go to Menu-9-3-1 (system selection) the menu
    choices are Home Only, Automatic A, Automatic B. One thing I didn't
    notice before was on top of all the choices it states "Home is B" When I
    first saw it I guess I thought it was telling me what was currently selected
    but no, it always tells me that B is my home side no matter what side I set
    the selection for. So for those with a VX4500 you can check here what side
    Verizon is on, the A or B.

    Bob

    Hollis Ellis <hollise1@cox.net> wrote in

    > Here in Southeast Virginia, its just reverse. Alltel is the 'A'
    > carrier and Verizon is the 'B' carrier, however, Alltel is NOT in the
    > Verizon PRL here either.

    NOONE is in Verizon's PRL anywhere there's a Verizon presence in SC,
    either. Many places you can stand with a toyphone and watch the Alltel
    customers chatting away while your Verizon toyphone keeps beeping in and
    out of sync with NO SERVICE on the screen....1/4 mile from a CDMA Sprint
    tower and 1/2 mile from a B-side Alltel tower.

    For the Verizon flacks, Oakbrook Section of Summerville, SC, in the
    Charleston area. Walk 8' inside any store and the phones go dead in full
    view of the Sprint tower the phones USED to roam, painlessly, over to.

    NOT any more.....

    Larry W4CSC <noone@home.com> wrote:

    > Charleston area. Walk 8' inside any store and the phones go dead in full
    > view of the Sprint tower the phones USED to roam, painlessly, over to.

    You can see the Sprint tower from inside the stores? :)

    (Sorry... someone had to say it)

    "Larry W4CSC" <noone@home.com> wrote in message
    > Hollis Ellis <hollise1@cox.net> wrote in
    >
    > > Here in Southeast Virginia, its just reverse. Alltel is the 'A'
    > > carrier and Verizon is the 'B' carrier, however, Alltel is NOT in the
    > > Verizon PRL here either.
    > >

    > NOONE is in Verizon's PRL anywhere there's a Verizon presence in SC,
    > either. Many places you can stand with a toyphone and watch the Alltel
    > customers chatting away while your Verizon toyphone keeps beeping in and
    > out of sync with NO SERVICE on the screen....1/4 mile from a CDMA Sprint
    > tower and 1/2 mile from a B-side Alltel tower.
    >
    > For the Verizon flacks, Oakbrook Section of Summerville, SC, in the
    > Charleston area. Walk 8' inside any store and the phones go dead in full
    > view of the Sprint tower the phones USED to roam, painlessly, over to.
    >
    > NOT any more.....

    Just curious, but doesn't Alltel use a lot of the same "toy phones" that VZW
    does. Need to make up your mind Larry, are they or are they not toy phones.

    JW

    JW <jw@jw.net> wrote:

    > Just curious, but doesn't Alltel use a lot of the same "toy phones" that VZW
    > does. Need to make up your mind Larry, are they or are they not toy phones.

    He isn't waffling: he has always said that Alltel has better coverage, so
    the Alltel toyphones in his area work better than the VZW toyphones. He
    calls them toys because they use much less power than the analog phones used
    to and they can't contact towers as far away as the analog phones could.

    Alltel just happens to work better in his part of the world because they
    have more towers, not because they have "better" phones.

    So, what he said is NOT inconsistent with what he's said in the past.

    Verizon did not buy primeco. Primeco was one of the companies
    that merged to form verizon.

    HotRod wrote:
    > That is the result of Verizon buying PrimeCo here, which is a 1900 MHZ
    > system.

    On Sun, 4 Jul 2004 16:25:25 -0400, "Jeff P." <jeff_phil-NO@SPAM-yahoo.com>
    chose to add this to the great equation of life, the universe, and
    everything:

    >"Evan Platt" <evan@TheObvious.espphotography.com> wrote in message
    >> On Sun, 04 Jul 2004 14:30:59 GMT, Dave <davids1955@earthlink.net>
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >> >I believe A/B side was originally when analog only cellular came out.
    >> >The B side was usually the "wireline" phone company and A side was the
    >> >other. With mergers and acquisitions this may not always be the case now
    >> >though.
    >>
    >> B was in fact used for Analog, however your statement about wireline
    >> isn't correct. B was GTE / now Verizon, A was cellular one, now AT&T.
    >
    >What the heck are you talking about?! A/B side refers to the radio band. It
    >
    >In any given market area (one or more counties usually), the FCC gave 800
    >MHz cellular licenses to two companies. The B-side of the band was primarely
    >given to the baby "Bell" operating companies, or whatever the traditional
    >land-line phone company was in the area. The A-side of the band was given to
    >an Alternate company, one that didn't operate a local land-line phone
    >company.
    >
    >Eventually as you mentioned, companies merged with each other and we ended
    >up with some companies owning the A-band license in certain areas and the
    >B-side license in others. In yet other areas, some companies now own PCS
    >licenses (1900 Mhz instead of 800 MHz)
    >
    >Also, you make no sense to mention GTE/Verizon or Cellular One / AT&T
    >without referencing WHERE you are talking about. Cellular One is still in
    >business. They still operate the A band where I live. But, many of Cellular
    >One's systems were sold off to various companies. Some Cellular One systems
    >even went to Verizon. They didn't ALL go to AT&T like you mentioned. Also in
    >this area Verizon took over Airtouch, not GTE.

    Case in point of how things got screwed up: in the five states where
    Ameritech was the dominant (GTE had a few local franchises; I don't know if
    Verizon still has them) landline carrier, Ameritech Cellular was the B.
    However, in Hawaii, they were A. Also, in the St. Louis market, they were
    A, *including* portions of Illinois considered to be part of that market.
    Then SBC came along and bought Ameritech. Most of Ameritech Cellular was
    folded into the new Cingular. However, in the Chicago market, SBC already
    owned the Cellular One franchise and made *it* Cingular. They sold off the
    Ameritech Cellular system to GTE, which just a few months later became
    Verizon. So now VZW is the B and Cingular is the A in a market where
    Cingular's parent is the landline carrier.

    As to someone's mention that VZW includes Primeco, it doesn't include *all*
    of Primeco. Primeco's Chicago properties (maybe all of Illinois, I don't
    know) became US Cellular.

    Maybe someone can tell me whether VZW in Hawaii is the old Ameritech or
    something else...?

    http://home.att.net/~dwstreeter
    "If we don't succeed, we run the risk of failure." - Dan Quayle

    David S <dwstreeter@spamisnaughty.att.net> wrote:

    >>Also, you make no sense to mention GTE/Verizon or Cellular One / AT&T
    >>without referencing WHERE you are talking about. Cellular One is still in
    >>business. They still operate the A band where I live. But, many of Cellular
    >>One's systems were sold off to various companies. Some Cellular One systems
    >>even went to Verizon. They didn't ALL go to AT&T like you mentioned. Also in
    >>this area Verizon took over Airtouch, not GTE.

    CellularONE is still in existence in some places. Dobson Cellular and Western
    Wireless are the two companies I know of that still use the brand name. SBC used
    to own the name but they sold it to Western Wireless when they jumped in bed with
    Bellsouth to form Cingular.

    > As to someone's mention that VZW includes Primeco, it doesn't include *all*
    > of Primeco. Primeco's Chicago properties (maybe all of Illinois, I don't
    > know) became US Cellular.

    Well, that's a divestiture issue. That's why GTE Wireless in Cleveland got
    sold to Alltel. Verizon couldn't keep both GTE and AirTouch.

    Same thing in Chicago. Ameritech
    ended up selling the network to GTE who continued to market it under the
    Ameritech name for a while, and then GTE was folded into Verizon. They
    couldn't keep both GTE and AirTouch in Cleveland, nor were they allowed
    to keep both GTE and Primeco in Chicago.

    > Maybe someone can tell me whether VZW in Hawaii is the old Ameritech or
    > something else...?

    I thought it was GTE, but not 100% sure...

    Whatever..the result is the same in Wisconsin. PrimeCo is no longer and
    Verizon is the system. A buy far better deal for all of us using this system
    here. Someone else made comment to PrimeCo in Chicago getting bought up by
    USCC, which is correct. I was speaking of Wisconsin and Florida.

    --

    On Mon, 05 Jul 2004 18:02:09 -0000, Larry W4CSC <noone@home.com>
    wrote:

    >NOONE is in Verizon's PRL anywhere there's a Verizon presence in SC,
    >either. Many places you can stand with a toyphone and watch the Alltel

    ALLTEL is still in the PRL for Myrtle Beach, even though VZW just
    turned up native coverage (at 1900) there. IIRC, ALLTEL Augusta is
    still in, so there's fallback in Aiken County too. :p

    -SC
    --
    Stanley Cline -- sc1 at roamer1 dot org -- http://www.roamer1.org/
    "Never put off until tomorrow what you can do today. There might
    be a law against it by that time." -/usr/games/fortune

    On Mon, 05 Jul 2004 23:26:32 GMT, David S
    <dwstreeter@spamisnaughty.att.net> wrote:

    >Maybe someone can tell me whether VZW in Hawaii is the old Ameritech or
    >something else...?

    Former GTE -- GTE bought Hawaiian Telephone way back when so GTE (by
    default, since they've always been the only ILEC in Hawaii) got the
    B-side license...and GTE became part of Verizon Communications so GTE
    Mobilnet/GTE Wireless in Hawaii became VZW.

    (Verizon Communications is selling the Hawaii *landline* business off
    to an investor group, but *VZW* is *not* leaving Hawaii.)

    The A-side licenses for the different islands went to various
    companies -- McCaw/AT&T, BellSouth/Cingular, TDS/US Cellular -- but I
    believe that now, after various license swaps, AT&T now has all the
    A-side licenses in Hawaii.

    As for PrimeCo...which was a partnership of BAM and AirTouch:

    - PrimeCo Hawaii was sold to SPCS relatively early on
    - PrimeCo Virginia (Richmond etc.) was sold to CFW/Intelos/nTelos
    - PrimeCo Chicago was not folded into VZW (because GTE dba Ameritech
    Cellular was already there) and was spun off into an independent
    company, which USCC bought...hence how USCC got into Chicago
    - all other PrimeCo markets (FL, WI, TX, Mobile AL, MS Gulf Coast)
    were folded into VZW -- however, VZW sold most of the ex-PrimeCo
    spectrum in Houston to AT&T, and retained some for future use. (VZW
    may have sold off ex-PrimeCo spectrum in other areas, but I'm not
    aware of them having done so.)

    In Panama City (Bay County) FL, VZW has both an ex-PrimeCo license at
    1900 and an ex-Price license at 850; currently, from what I've heard,
    VZW is running CDMA only at 1900 there, to match the rest of FL. (The
    oddball 850 license could very well get sold to AT&T/Cingular, as AT&T
    has no license at all for Bay County -- the only county in FL where
    AT&T has no license -- and Cingular doesn't have much spectrum there.)

    -SC
    --

    On Mon, 5 Jul 2004 07:58:17 -0400, "George" <george@nospam.invalid> chose
    to add this to the great equation of life, the universe, and everything:

    >"George" <george@nospam.invalid> wrote in message
    >> >
    >> A & B just refer to the old designations for the incumbent (wired) carrier
    >> and the wireless carrier on the original 800 MHz analog cell systems. If
    >> you were using an analog phone in NYC on VZW it would list "B" as the
    >> serving system. But even though A & B are analog designations my bill
    >always
    >> lists the digital calls I make in NYC as "New York/B".
    >
    >Correction, A& B are not analog designations but are the groups of channels
    >that each carrier has.

    Last week, I was on a train going up the bank of the Mississippi River in
    Iowa (and a bit of Minnesota). My 4400, when it didn't say Searching For
    Service, would either show a channel number or AMPS B, and at least once
    AMPS A (which was solid roaming). There were several SIDs, some of them
    from across the river in Wisconsin.

    http://home.att.net/~dwstreeter
    "You better do something, you idiot, because in ten minutes you're going to
    have two hundred tons of locomotive smashing through Central Station on its
    way to Marshall Field's!" - the Chief

    In article <10egpu1of2u133b@corp.supernews.com>,
    Jeff P. <jeff_phil-NO@SPAM-yahoo.com> wrote:
    >Also, you make no sense to mention GTE/Verizon or Cellular One / AT&T
    >without referencing WHERE you are talking about. Cellular One is still in
    >business. They still operate the A band where I live. But, many of Cellular
    >One's systems were sold off to various companies. Some Cellular One systems
    >even went to Verizon. They didn't ALL go to AT&T like you mentioned. Also in
    >this area Verizon took over Airtouch, not GTE.

    "Cellular One" is not a wireless provider; it is a franchise name, which
    many unrelated wireless companies licensed and operated under that name.
    Which means that "Cellular One" in one region is a completely different
    company than "Cellular One" in another.

    Actually, Verizon Wireless did not "take over" GTE and Airtouch; their
    parent companies merged (in the case of GTE) and/or spun off their
    wireless subsidiaries (in the case of Vodaphone/Airtouch) to form
    Verizon Wireless.

    Stanley Cline <sc1-news@roamer1.org> wrote in

    > ALLTEL is still in the PRL for Myrtle Beach, even though VZW just
    > turned up native coverage (at 1900) there. IIRC, ALLTEL Augusta is
    > still in, so there's fallback in Aiken County too. :p
    >
    > -SC

    Thanks, Stan. I'm on the latest SC/NC version of LDC, which is 50137, I
    think. Phone's in the other room.

    Larry

    On Mon, 05 Jul 2004 21:06:19 -0500, Steven J Sobol <sjsobol@JustThe.net>
    chose to add this to the great equation of life, the universe, and
    everything:

    > in Chicago. Ameritech
    >ended up selling the network to GTE who continued to market it under the
    >Ameritech name for a while, and then GTE was folded into Verizon. They
    >couldn't keep both GTE and AirTouch in Cleveland, nor were they allowed
    >to keep both GTE and Primeco in Chicago.

    You may be right about the marketing; I don't remember. But approximately
    three of my monthly bills were paid to GTE.

    http://home.att.net/~dwstreeter
    "There's no such thing as a non-sexual comment on Usenet. :o)"
    - James Archer in alt.geek

    David S <dwstreeter@spamisnaughty.att.net> wrote:
    >> in Chicago. Ameritech
    >>ended up selling the network to GTE who continued to market it under the
    >>Ameritech name for a while, and then GTE was folded into Verizon. They
    >>couldn't keep both GTE and AirTouch in Cleveland, nor were they allowed
    >>to keep both GTE and Primeco in Chicago.
    >
    > You may be right about the marketing; I don't remember. But approximately
    > three of my monthly bills were paid to GTE.

    That's from a friend of mine who lives in Chicago and was a customer of
    the companies involed, through all of the changes.

    Ironically, in Cleveland in the early to mid 90s, before Ameritech built
    out their own network, they were a GTE reseller... :)

    On Tue, 06 Jul 2004 02:44:35 GMT, Stanley Cline <sc1-news@roamer1.org>
    chose to add this to the great equation of life, the universe, and
    everything:

    >The A-side licenses for the different islands went to various
    >companies -- McCaw/AT&T, BellSouth/Cingular, TDS/US Cellular -- but I
    >believe that now, after various license swaps, AT&T now has all the
    >A-side licenses in Hawaii.

    I know Ameritech had a license there, maybe on only one island. Logic would
    suggest that Cingular now has it, but logic tends to lose out in the real
    world of mergers, swaps, and more mergers.

    http://home.att.net/~dwstreeter
    "Because of our taping schedule, this show will take place three weeks
    after you see it." - sportscaster Don Gillis

    On Thu, 08 Jul 2004 01:19:40 -0500, Steven J Sobol <sjsobol@JustThe.net>
    chose to add this to the great equation of life, the universe, and
    everything:

    >David S <dwstreeter@spamisnaughty.att.net> wrote:
    >>> in Chicago. Ameritech
    >>>ended up selling the network to GTE who continued to market it under the
    >>>Ameritech name for a while, and then GTE was folded into Verizon. They
    >>>couldn't keep both GTE and AirTouch in Cleveland, nor were they allowed
    >>>to keep both GTE and Primeco in Chicago.
    >>
    >> You may be right about the marketing; I don't remember. But approximately
    >> three of my monthly bills were paid to GTE.
    >
    >That's from a friend of mine who lives in Chicago and was a customer of
    >the companies involed, through all of the changes.

    So do/was/am I. (That is, I started with Ameritech, not Primeco.) (Before I
    got Ameritech, I looked at Primeco, but something turned me off about it.)

    http://home.att.net/~dwstreeter
    "The policeman is not here to create disorder. The policeman is here to
    preserve disorder." - former Chicago mayor Richard J. Daley

    On Thu, 08 Jul 2004 05:04:31 GMT, David S
    <dwstreeter@spamisnaughty.att.net> wrote:

    >I know Ameritech had a license there, maybe on only one island. Logic would
    >suggest that Cingular now has it, but logic tends to lose out in the real
    >world of mergers, swaps, and more mergers.

    I remember now...

    Kauai: Ameritech -> Cingular -> AT&T
    Oahu: Honolulu Cellular (BellSouth, may have been McCaw at one time)
    -> AT&T

    -SC
    --

    On Sat, 10 Jul 2004 04:48:02 GMT, Stanley Cline <sc1-news@roamer1.org>
    chose to add this to the great equation of life, the universe, and
    everything:

    >On Thu, 08 Jul 2004 05:04:31 GMT, David S
    ><dwstreeter@spamisnaughty.att.net> wrote:
    >
    >>I know Ameritech had a license there, maybe on only one island. Logic would
    >>suggest that Cingular now has it, but logic tends to lose out in the real
    >>world of mergers, swaps, and more mergers.
    >
    >I remember now...
    >
    >Kauai: Ameritech -> Cingular -> AT&T

    Yes, that was it: Kauai was where I could use my Ameritech phone without a
    roaming charge. (Had to switch it to A, though.)

    http://home.att.net/~dwstreeter
    "Winfield goes back to the wall. He hits his head on the wall and it rolls
    off! It's rolling all the way back to second base! This is a terrible thing
    for the Padres!" - Padres radio announcer Jerry Coleman

    Wow!! A bunch of geezers who remember how
    used to be. Actually as I remember it, the carrier
    which I had was on analog "B" but then went to
    "TDMA" , but remained on the 800 Mhz "B" side.
    And, further ancient history; ATTWS offered "PCS"
    (touchtone) on old 800 Mhz analog!!!

Verizon Internet Service Providers