WinXPProHelp Needed now

Ok i have win xp pro on my main hd but many many problems so can i setbios to
boot from cdrom put in new master hd (so no OS) reboot compiuter to Winxp pro
disk kicks in and reinstalls winxp pro then i just configure it way i want
and install other programs ive had?? (fyi im reinstalling my original copy of
xp pro that i installed on this hd to another had insame computer)

my only question is what about my programs on the d and g drive will i have
to reinstall all of them or no? please i need responses asap

thank you all so much most helpful
4 answers Last reply
More about winxpprohelp needed

    "nick" <nick@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Ok i have win xp pro on my main hd but many many problems so can i setbios
    > boot from cdrom put in new master hd (so no OS) reboot compiuter to Winxp
    > pro
    > disk kicks in and reinstalls winxp pro then i just configure it way i want
    > and install other programs ive had?? (fyi im reinstalling my original copy
    > of
    > xp pro that i installed on this hd to another had insame computer)
    >
    > my only question is what about my programs on the d and g drive will i
    > have
    > to reinstall all of them or no? please i need responses asap
    >
    > thank you all so much most helpful

    Yes, you will have to re-install all software, even if it is on another
    drive.

    Bobby

    Since you're experiencing the joy of a re-install, now might be a good time
    to consider using a disk imaging utility. The image will preserve your
    freshly setup hard drive in the state it was immediately after you finish
    installing everything - and will enable to you to start over fresh with a
    minimum of trouble next time.

    I use Acronis True Image for this purpose - it's a paid program. I made an
    image of my hard drive after reinstalling everything essential on the system.
    Now, when the system starts acting up, I pop in the Acronis boot disk and
    restore my hard drive to it's original state, and I'm back up and running
    within 20 minutes.

    "nick" wrote:

    > Ok i have win xp pro on my main hd but many many problems so can i setbios to
    > boot from cdrom put in new master hd (so no OS) reboot compiuter to Winxp pro
    > disk kicks in and reinstalls winxp pro then i just configure it way i want
    > and install other programs ive had?? (fyi im reinstalling my original copy of
    > xp pro that i installed on this hd to another had insame computer)
    >
    > my only question is what about my programs on the d and g drive will i have
    > to reinstall all of them or no? please i need responses asap
    >
    > thank you all so much most helpful

    Hi,

    As the installation will be new, your programs will need to be reinstalled
    under it. Only by doing this will you create the necessary registry entries
    and have appropriate supporting files placed in the system folders.

    --
    Best of Luck,

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

    "nick" <nick@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Ok i have win xp pro on my main hd but many many problems so can i setbios
    > boot from cdrom put in new master hd (so no OS) reboot compiuter to Winxp
    > pro
    > disk kicks in and reinstalls winxp pro then i just configure it way i want
    > and install other programs ive had?? (fyi im reinstalling my original copy
    > of
    > xp pro that i installed on this hd to another had insame computer)
    >
    > my only question is what about my programs on the d and g drive will i
    > have
    > to reinstall all of them or no? please i need responses asap
    >
    > thank you all so much most helpful

    Most of them yes. Some programs are self contained (particularly small
    utilities) but that's the exception rather than the rule under Windows.
    --

    "nick" <nick@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Ok i have win xp pro on my main hd but many many problems so can i setbios
    > boot from cdrom put in new master hd (so no OS) reboot compiuter to Winxp
    > pro
    > disk kicks in and reinstalls winxp pro then i just configure it way i want
    > and install other programs ive had?? (fyi im reinstalling my original copy
    > of
    > xp pro that i installed on this hd to another had insame computer)
    >
    > my only question is what about my programs on the d and g drive will i
    > have
    > to reinstall all of them or no? please i need responses asap
    >
    > thank you all so much most helpful

HD Windows XP