rayduh

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2003
Can any one explain how the DPS works [in some detail]?

They refer to creating six phase power for mobo's which are normally six phase. I've been in Engineering over 30 years and have never heard the word "phase" and "DC" in the same breath. {DC has no phase !!!] The mobo's receive "pure" DC from the system power supply. This must be reduced greatly in voltage by switching regulators on the mobo.

As a pure WAG, I suspect that the phase is somehow related to the switching frequency of these regulators, but I am not sure at all.

Can anyone provide an answer or give links to tech papers that explain this in sufficient detail to explain phase ???

pIII_Man

Splendid
Mar 19, 2003
i think you are thinking too much...hehe...i beleive phase is refering to the how many phases of filtration of the cpu voltage occures via voltage regulators...so 3 phase would imply 3 diffrent voltage regulators for the cpu core...

There is no smell better than fried silicon :evil:

Flinx

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2001
DC-DC: Switching regulators are critical devices used in converting one voltage into a higher voltage (boost) or reducing the voltage level (buck). Tight voltage regulation, high efficiency, excellent load and transient switching behaviors are the hallmark of this class of products. DC-DC Switching Regulators and Controllers are critical for powering next generation motherboard processors as well as providing bias to LCD displays used in digital cameras and cell phones.
Not the best url but this is what I found<A HREF="http://www.onsemi.com/site/products/taxonomy/0,4438,167,00.html" target="_new">http://www.onsemi.com/site/products/taxonomy/0,4438,167,00.html</A>

The loving are the daring!<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Flinx on 07/22/03 09:27 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Hehe, I was thinking the same thing when I came across such claims. They might be referring to a 3-STAGE regulator, not phase. That would be my guess. And when they add a second regulator, it would then be "parallel redundant" 3-stage, which for marketing purposes they call "6-phase".

I don't believe they are speaking true tech talk, but rather in marketing jargon.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

TRENDING THREADS