Batch files query

I have a batch file which copies key folders and files between hard disks -

xcopy c:\progra~1\*.* /s d:\progra~1\progra~1\

It would seem that although it will accept only truncated folder and file
names (e.g. progra~1) for the source, sub folder and file names are written
to the target drive full length.

Am I right in thinking that source names have to be written in the truncated
form (after all it is, basically a DOS command)? if not how can this be
done?

Thanks.

Bill Ridgeway
Computer Solutions
2 answers Last reply
More about batch files query

    Open below URL and scroll down to "Long Filenames at the Command Prompt".
    File Names in Windows XP. Hope this helps.
    http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/Windows/XP/all/reskit/en-us/Default.asp?url=/resources/documentation/Windows/XP/all/reskit/en-us/prkc_fil_rbrx.asp

    Windows XP DOS Commands (click on Xcopy)
    http://www.fsref.com/pr/dosxp.htm
    --
    Some days you're the windshield,
    some days you're the bug.

    "Bill Ridgeway" wrote:

    > I have a batch file which copies key folders and files between hard disks -
    >
    > xcopy c:\progra~1\*.* /s d:\progra~1\progra~1\
    >
    > It would seem that although it will accept only truncated folder and file
    > names (e.g. progra~1) for the source, sub folder and file names are written
    > to the target drive full length.
    >
    > Am I right in thinking that source names have to be written in the truncated
    > form (after all it is, basically a DOS command)? if not how can this be
    > done?
    >
    > Thanks.
    >
    > Bill Ridgeway
    > Computer Solutions

    Using XPPro and the Command Prompt I was able to use xcopy to copy long
    filenames and their short equivalent to another directory while preserving
    the information for both. So, I presume that it doesn't matter which you use
    - and that both will be preserved during the operation. You can try this
    yourself by using the dir /x command to monitor the process.

    "Bill Ridgeway" wrote:

    > I have a batch file which copies key folders and files between hard disks -
    >
    > xcopy c:\progra~1\*.* /s d:\progra~1\progra~1\
    >
    > It would seem that although it will accept only truncated folder and file
    > names (e.g. progra~1) for the source, sub folder and file names are written
    > to the target drive full length.
    >
    > Am I right in thinking that source names have to be written in the truncated
    > form (after all it is, basically a DOS command)? if not how can this be
    > done?
    >
    > Thanks.
    >
    > Bill Ridgeway
    > Computer Solutions