P4P800 Deluxe VS Abit IS 7

thanniel

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2003
I am looking for a good and stable mainboard for my new 2.6C. So far I have rounded up my choices to P4P800 deluxe and Abit IS 7. They both have similar features but what I am looking for most is stability and compatilibilty with other hardwares, like DDR 400 . Could anyone compare ,from your experience, the pros and cons of these two mainboards? Which one to pick?

Is it true that P4P800 deluxe doesn't work well with many dual 2*512 DDR 400 modules? What about Abit IS 7?

I know that Asus P4P800 is a bit higher in price, does this mean it's better than Abit IS7 in terms of stability?

By the way, I am not looking to overclock, therefore the ability to overclock well is not one of my concerns.

Thank you for your input.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
If you really want to compare boards with similar features, you'd have to compare the P4P800 Deluxe to the Abit IS7-G, or the P4P800 to the Abit IS7. Either of those comparisons probably give Abit the most features.

Anyway, the problem with 875/865 chipsets is that they push the memory very hard. Most standard Cas2 PC3200 will be best ran at Cas3, for stability.

And later, you might consider overclocking, either would be fine.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

thanniel

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2003
Pardon me for I am quite new to this thing, what would be the main differences berween IS7 and IS7-G? Is it in dual Raid and IEEE and perhpas the Lan features?

Am I correct that P4P800 and P4P800 Deluxe are different in the only raid and IEEE features as well?

Regarding the DDR 400 modules, what cheap and stable modules and brands would you suggest for these mainboards.
What about Kingston 512 Mb DDR 400 CAS 2.5 and Geil 512 Mb value DDR 400 CAS 2.5? Are they ok?

Thank you

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
The IS7 has 10/100 LAN, the -G has gigabit lan. The -G also adds dual RAID. Both have IEE1394.

The P4P800 doesn't have IEE1394, so that makes the IS7 a better value, feature wise. In order to get IEE1394 with the Asus board, you need the Deluxe version, but that comes with other added features, making it comparable to the IS7-G.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

thanniel

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2003
Thank you for your help. Since IS7-G is more expensive than P4P800 deluxe while offering similar features, I guess I will pick P4P800 Deluxe then.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
hehe, or you could go with the IS7, which offers more features for less money than the standard P4P800. It depends on what features you really want.

ike

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2003
anandtech did a pretty good article on ddr400 compatability tests with different boards. covers it fairly well. personally i'm gettin the is7...that has the 4phase power thing doesnt it? should be able to support prescott, anyone heard for sure? doesnt really matter wont upgrade again after this untill i can get pci-exp, ddr2, and prescott all on one board. or athlon64 and the equall on a board of that style.

is7
2.4c
2 512MB ddr 3500(or 3700 what do u think?) kingston hyperx
2 wd raptors raid
wrapped up in a atc-111 coolermaster case

still looking for a good powersupply, i like vantecs offerings but i hate that 2364ft long power connectors they have...i dont need 4 ft in a 2 ft case. :)

The customer is not always right.
If they were, they would do my job.