• Hardware
  • Servers
  • Web Server
  • SQL Server
  • Business Computing
  • Product
Last response: in Business Computing
January 21, 2013 4:43:51 AM

I am looking for some experienced advice on a server brand, hardware specifications, and configuration for a rack mounted server that will run both a web server as well as sql server.

Currently we have 2 dell poweredge 2960's which are about 5 yrs old. One is our DB and the other is the web server. We run one main ASP.NET site that has a hand full of full time employees entering data. The most clients that are ever connected are 50 at once. Due to our lack of redundancy I want to up in a new server. Im also thinking about combineding the web and sql server into a single server. I have looked at a Dell 210 II with E3-1240v2 CPU, 8GB ram, and RAID 10 4x100SDD but Im not sure if there are better brands or other sizes that might better suit.

Any specifics would be helpful. oh ya, my budget is about $5000.

More about : server hardware advice

January 21, 2013 7:37:56 AM

Depending on the workload, I would use the old servers as balanced web servers. The E3-1240v2 is a nice chip for SQL work, but the Dell 210 is a very limiting rack and Raid-10 SSD's might be bit overkill if your not hammering the hell out of SQL, I would just stick with a raid-10 + fast SAS drives and don't skimp on memory or your backup strategy.
January 21, 2013 3:50:19 PM

Do you have a preference on brand? Im hoping to get the most reliable since we dont have much for backup systems.

Also, Is there a big difference between enterprise ssd and standard ssd? I mean are they worth paying 5x more for them?
Related resources
Anonymous
January 22, 2013 8:55:33 AM

For brand I would recommend HP Proliant, over the last 15 yrs I have had experience with Dell, Fujitsu Siemens and most recently HP, from my experience they seem to be the most reliable and the support seems to be better too, especially compared to FSC.
January 22, 2013 10:51:51 AM

Agree with the use of HP servers, solid and very reliable, Enterprise SSD's are deisgned for always on, constant access, longer warranty, but your pay a heavy price premium and should always be used over consumer brands. I not the most familar with backups systems, but a good quality NAS should be more than enough and even look at using a Cloud based storage as a secondary backup to the NAS.
!