Tyan Mobo - Advice and Tips?

Orglif

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2003
Hi all,

I'm piecing together a system here, and I think I have the details worked out, but I'm a tad concerned that I might be overlooking something. Below I've listed the potential specs for the machine, and I was hoping I could get some feedback on possible hardware conflicts or problems I might encounter. Thanks for any help, and if I've posted this in the wrong forum please let me know.

Tiger Tyan S2460
420W ATX PSU w/ quad fans
2x MP 1600s (cooling undecided)
1gb Corsair Reg ECC DDR 2100
SB Audigy Platinum w/ front panel
ATI Radeon 9700 Pro
Possible USB 2.0 PCI adapter?

From the research I've done, it seems that this shoud work fine; real world experience, however, is more important. I intend to slap it in an acrylic case with bells, whistles, and cathodes--that's mostly an afterthought though.

Again, thanks for any info.

Dirty_Ape

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2003
I think it´s crazy to build a MP-system, when there are so powerful CPUs around, which can do the job on their own. Why not go for a Pentium4 with HT instead? You´ll get much better performance with multitasking, and it´ll last much longer than a MP-system (before being truly obsolete). It might also be cheaper.

It´s a shame to put a Radeon 9700 with MP´s, it´ll hate you forever!

---
<A HREF="http://forumz.tomshardware.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=profile&mode=viewprofile&internal=1&username=Dirty_Ape" target="_new"> My System </A>

Orglif

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2003
I can get the 2 MPs and the Tyan mobo for mad cheap ($100 for the whole thing), otherwise I'd spring for something more SotA. I also do some serious audio/video multi-tasking, and I hear one of the few bennies from a SMP system is switching from task to task with little slowdown.

Would the Radeon be ineffective in the system? I know it's 8x AGP and the Tyan supports up to 4x, though I believe the difference is very small and hardly noticeable.

I'll check into the P4 w/HT... I don't know much about it, but I imagine I'd need a higher rate RAM to get the bus symmetry, and that in turn would be more money. I hate spending more money than needed... heh.
<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Orglif on 07/23/03 04:42 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

pIII_Man

Splendid
Mar 19, 2003
if you could splurge a bit more money i would highly recomend a barton based MP...the faster bus speed really helps in media encoding aplications...the 9700pro will run fine in your board...at present very few games can utilise all the bandwith of 4x...

So easy to fry yet tastes so good...
Silicon: The other, other, other white meat :evil:

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I believe these boards require the 24-pin ATX power connection most commonly found on server boards (as opposed to the standard 20-pin). Newegg carries such power supplies from Fortron in both 460W and 550W ratings.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

Orglif

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2003
Wow, thanks so much for the quick information, everyone.

I checked in the manual, and the s2460 mobo specifies a 20 pin PSU connector. I'm thinking about using a custom Turbolink 420W for P4/AMD, dual fans (not 4, I was drinking earlier) and a few LEDs.

I can probably talk my vendor into upping the processors from 1600s to 1900s for a bit more, but my understading is that the type of processor with a Barton core (XP 2500 and up?) wouldn't be compatible with the mobo. :(

I guess to put in into perspective, you should understand the system I'm on now, and have been on for ages it seems: a 500mhz Celery with 64mb SD ram (on an FIC mobo, no less), a SB Live, and a 32 meg GeForce 2. So this system I'm building seems like I'm taking a massive step into the future, but I guess in reality it's still sadly behind the times.

pIII_Man

Splendid
Mar 19, 2003
and i am currently on a k6...

They just started making smp enabled bartons (saves people the hastle of modding them) i beleive that, that mobo should have 333mhz bus speed support...i will have to check...i have never heard of turbolink...i would stick to antec enermax or forton for a system with this much power consumtion...

pIII_Man

Splendid
Mar 19, 2003
I believe these boards require the 24-pin ATX power connection most commonly found on server boards
I beleive these are called WTX power connectors...as sever boards that use these do not follow the atx form factor...some require an additional 8 pin power socket...

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
The boards Newegg advertises these PSU's as being compatable with...I looked one up, it uses that 24-pin connector...and it's full ATX, not the 1/2-2/3 depth we're more familiar with. But the board still uses an ATX back panel, etc.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

pIII_Man

Splendid
Mar 19, 2003
is there a 24pin atx standard? i thought the 24 pinners were not under any part of the atx form factor...

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Tell you what: Go to Newegg, keyword Fortron, look at the 460W and 550W power supplies that say "dual AMD cpu ready" or whatever, they list 2 or 3 tyan boards there as well. Now, look up the Tyan boards, you'll find at least one is ATX. Then count the number of pins in one row, from the picture, and multiply by 2.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Yes, and that's rated at 70% load. Why do they rate all their top supplies at 600W? Dunno, maybe they don't test higher than 600w?

Orglif

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2003
looks like the athlon mp bartons use a 266mhz bus...
Does that indicate compatability with the board? The papers specify nothing above an MP1900; like I was saying though, it's seems like the processors where the Barton core becomes available are almost a Ghz faster than what the board can facilitate.

pIII_Man

Splendid
Mar 19, 2003
it should be...as long as your board supports that muliplyer then i am very sure it will run...ask around...see what the max multiplyer is...if your board can run a 14x multi...then it is compatable...

scwarner

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2002
I am running a Tiger MP 2460 with 2 1600+'s. It runs good and works well with video editing/rendering. The main disadvantages are the fact that you can't overclock, and there isn't support for anything above a 1900+. I have been searching around to see if anybody has even tried to put anything faster in these boards and have found nothing.
It doesn't make sense to me considering that the Thunder K7 (2462) also uses the AMD760MP chipset and it supports 2800+'s.
As for power suplies.... Just get a good quality one. I was running with an old 350 watt supply for a while but had some problems with stability.But I am running with 2-120mm and 2-80mm case fans, as well as 2-80mm Tornado fans on my cpu's. (my wife says it sounds like a jet when I start it up.) I upgraded to a 500 watt PSU and haven't had any problems with stability since.
You should be fine with the 420 watt supply.

Whoever said "Flying pink elephants don't wear tennis shoes." was wrong.