Did i kill my sound?

JohnB299

Distinguished
May 20, 2003
I recently tried to set memory timings of 5-2-2-2 @ 200 fsb on my A7N8X DLX, and i've heard that 5-2-2-2 can cause corruption over 166 fsb. When i tried it my computer made reaaaly wierd noises on the bootup. Now I have no sound in windows at all - even after reinstalling the mobo drivers.
If i try to open the Nvidia sound utility it says "Failed to initialize the NIVIDA audio driver! Please install and try again" ? Any help would be appreciated!
Oh i am using the built in sound ports.

A good friend will come bail you out of jail. A GREAT friend will be sitting next to you saying "man we really screwed up"

10GHZ

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2002
perhaps you have, if you are certain that the drivers and bios settings are all correct. and that the problem only happened after the oc. maybe if you have a spare hdisk, try install a fresh os on it and install all the drivers. if that still dosnt work , then you've probably fried the sound chip...

JohnB299

Distinguished
May 20, 2003
would installing a pci sound card fix this?

A good friend will come bail you out of jail. A GREAT friend will be sitting next to you saying "man we really screwed up"

pIII_Man

Splendid
Mar 19, 2003
yes probably...but if the board is still under warantee...i would return it

So easy to fry yet tastes so good...
Silicon: The other, other, other white meat :evil:

JohnB299

Distinguished
May 20, 2003
I dont want to go through that again... took me 3 months to get my board back from RMA last time.. (tufshop is horrible!) I'll just get a sound card =/ Thanks for the help!

Try uninstalling all the sound devices you can under the device manager in the control panel-system. Then reinstall your sound driver. I found on my albatron that the modem sound device was causing my sound to fail when overclocking, so I disabled it.

JohnB299

Distinguished
May 20, 2003
thanks, that fixed the problem :) It must have been one of those devices that was causing the problem.