July 5th

Last response: in Network Providers
July 4, 2004 11:55:24 PM

I'm assuming that since July 5th is the "legal holiday" for the Fourth
that VZW will consider it a holiday for airtime charges? (in other
words, off peak time instead of peak time).

Dave

More about : july 5th

Anonymous
July 5, 2004 9:42:42 AM

Yes, July 5th peak time calls are billed as off peak. You can confirm this
by calling *611.

"Diamond Dave" <dmine45.NOSPAM@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> I'm assuming that since July 5th is the "legal holiday" for the Fourth
> that VZW will consider it a holiday for airtime charges? (in other
> words, off peak time instead of peak time).
>
> Dave

Anonymous
July 5, 2004 2:43:42 PM

"Diamond Dave" <dmine45.NOSPAM@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> I'm assuming that since July 5th is the "legal holiday" for the Fourth
> that VZW will consider it a holiday for airtime charges? (in other
> words, off peak time instead of peak time).
>
> Dave

'Cept for certain parts of Kentucky and Indiana-- according to the *611
intro recording in the Atlanta market.

Dan'l.
July 5, 2004 2:43:43 PM

"Daniel Dravot" <chasham97NOSPAM@REMOVETHISyahoo.com> wrote in message news:<yhaGc.2358$sD4.6@newsread3.news.atl.earthlink.net>...
> "Diamond Dave" <dmine45.NOSPAM@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > I'm assuming that since July 5th is the "legal holiday" for the Fourth
> > that VZW will consider it a holiday for airtime charges? (in other
> > words, off peak time instead of peak time).
> >
> > Dave
> >

> 'Cept for certain parts of Kentucky and Indiana-- according to the *611
> intro recording in the Atlanta market.
>
> Dan'l.

I'm in DC and I called up *611 and didn't get any announcement about
calls being billed off-peak. Then I spoke with the CSR and they said
called will be billed as PEAK calls. Strange!
Anonymous
July 5, 2004 7:03:23 PM

Hmm, mine are being registered as "peak" on the 5th--possiby to change after
midnight on the 6th? I'm in NC.

"C C" <someone@microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Yes, July 5th peak time calls are billed as off peak. You can confirm
this
> by calling *611.
>
> "Diamond Dave" <dmine45.NOSPAM@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > I'm assuming that since July 5th is the "legal holiday" for the Fourth
> > that VZW will consider it a holiday for airtime charges? (in other
> > words, off peak time instead of peak time).
> >
> > Dave

Anonymous
July 5, 2004 7:44:12 PM

On Mon, 05 Jul 2004 05:42:42 GMT, "C C" <someone@microsoft.com> wrote:
>Yes, July 5th peak time calls are billed as off peak. You can confirm this
>by calling *611.

I just called *611 and the rep told me today is a normal weekday.
Anonymous
July 5, 2004 7:44:13 PM

On Mon, 05 Jul 2004 15:44:12 GMT, Bob Scheurle
<njtbob2@X-optonline-X.net> wrote:

>On Mon, 05 Jul 2004 05:42:42 GMT, "C C" <someone@microsoft.com> wrote:
>>Yes, July 5th peak time calls are billed as off peak. You can confirm this
>>by calling *611.
>
>I just called *611 and the rep told me today is a normal weekday.

Go to the post office and banks and tell them that. The CSR was
wrong, unless they were talking specifically about the plan *you* are
on.
Anonymous
July 5, 2004 9:40:09 PM

The Ghost of General Lee <ghost@general.lee> wrote:
> On Mon, 05 Jul 2004 15:44:12 GMT, Bob Scheurle
> <njtbob2@X-optonline-X.net> wrote:
>
>>On Mon, 05 Jul 2004 05:42:42 GMT, "C C" <someone@microsoft.com> wrote:
>>>Yes, July 5th peak time calls are billed as off peak. You can confirm this
>>>by calling *611.
>>
>>I just called *611 and the rep told me today is a normal weekday.
>
> Go to the post office and banks and tell them that. The CSR was
> wrong, unless they were talking specifically about the plan *you* are
> on.

GMAFB. There are plenty of businesses open. Including my doctor's office,
and you know the kind of hours doctors keep (gotta get in those 18 holes,
y'know). :)

It'd be cool if 7/5 was offpeak this year, but I don't see any compelling
reason to complain because it's not.

July 5, 2004 10:10:46 PM

Andrew <usenetMYSHOES@bizavemyshoes.com> wrote:

> Yeah, it's called an "observed holiday". Most people have off work,
> city parking is free, government offices and many business are
> closed. What's interesting is that nowhere on Verizon's website (I
> hunted for a few minutes) could I find a list of what they consider
> "holidays" in regards to peak/off-peak minutes. And the FAQ link on
> their homepage is busted - it just takes you back to their home page.
> (Don't tell me "Which holidays do you consider "off-peak" holidays?"
> isn't a Frequently-asked Question.)
>
> Now how much extra money will Verizon make if people use their phones
> today thinking it's an off-peak day and then wind up going over their
> minutes for the month?

The only point I'm willing to concede to you is that the list should
be posted somewhere (Google for it, it's been posted here, but it
should be on VZW's website). Not treating an observed holiday as
offpeak isn't inherently unethical. Unless, of course, you want to
claim that VZW should be treating the monday on which we celebrate
MLK's birthday as offpeak. Or President's Day. Neither of those
days are billed offpeak.

July 6, 2004 12:59:21 AM

babolat30@aol.com (Babolat) wrote in message news:<ee1cd441.0407050902.74df6aa7@posting.google.com>...
> "Daniel Dravot" <chasham97NOSPAM@REMOVETHISyahoo.com> wrote in message news:<yhaGc.2358$sD4.6@newsread3.news.atl.earthlink.net>...
> > "Diamond Dave" <dmine45.NOSPAM@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > > I'm assuming that since July 5th is the "legal holiday" for the Fourth
> > > that VZW will consider it a holiday for airtime charges? (in other
> > > words, off peak time instead of peak time).
> > >
> > > Dave
> > >

> > 'Cept for certain parts of Kentucky and Indiana-- according to the *611
> > intro recording in the Atlanta market.
> >
> > Dan'l.
>
> I'm in DC and I called up *611 and didn't get any announcement about
> calls being billed off-peak. Then I spoke with the CSR and they said
> called will be billed as PEAK calls. Strange!

Just for the record, and given that July 5th is almost over on the
east coast, I have an email from a CSR that someone posted on this
newsgroup a long time ago:

Thank you for contacting Verizon Wireless through our web site.

The following days are considered off peak holidays:
1.New Year Day
2.Memorial Day
3.July 4th
4.Labor Day
5.Thanksgiving Day
6.Christmas Day

As a Friendly reminder, Verizon Wireless just introduced our new
"Worry
Free Guarantee". This is a set of 5 guarantee's we give our customers
ensure their complete satisfaction. We truly want to make using
wireless
simple and affordable for our customers and with our Worry Free
Guarantee
this promises just that.

Please write to us again through www.VerizonWireless.com if you have
any
further questions.

Sincerely,

Jeremy
Verizon Wireless
Customer Care

Original Message Follows:
------------------------

Form Message

Full Name: Danny Smith
Contact By: Email
Email Address: dms76@neo.rr.com
Daytime Phone Area Code: 330
Daytime Phone Prefix: 618
Daytime Phone Suffix: xxxx
Daytime Phone Extension:
Fax Area Code:
Fax Prefix:
Fax Suffix:
Account Number:
Mobile Area Code: 330
Mobile Prefix: 618
Mobile Suffix: xxxx
SSN: 9095
Primary Subject: I have a question on another topic
Secondary Subject: Other
Message Body: What are the holidays that are counteded as off peak
holidays? Danny
Anonymous
July 6, 2004 1:14:12 AM

Diamond Dave <dmine45.NOSPAM@yahoo.com> wrote:

>>The only reason people are getting time off today is because they didn't
>>get to get the 4th off because it was a day most of them wouldn't have been
>>working anyhow.
>
> That is true, but for the vast majority of us, it was a paid holiday.

Point being, it just *happens* to be a day off, it's not going to be a day
off next year, it's not consistently a federal holiday, and I still fail to
see what the big deal is.

July 6, 2004 1:43:19 AM

"Daniel Dravot" <chasham97NOSPAM@REMOVETHISyahoo.com> wrote in message
> "Diamond Dave" <dmine45.NOSPAM@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > I'm assuming that since July 5th is the "legal holiday" for the Fourth
> > that VZW will consider it a holiday for airtime charges? (in other
> > words, off peak time instead of peak time).
> >
> > Dave
> >

> 'Cept for certain parts of Kentucky and Indiana-- according to the *611
> intro recording in the Atlanta market.
>
> Dan'l.

With all these posts saying today is peak, I recalled *611. The message is
gone-- and I talked to a CSR who said today is peak.

I didn't use my phone today-- but if I had, those lying sumbitches would
have had a fight on their hands trying to get any money out of me for it.

Dan'l.
Anonymous
July 6, 2004 1:43:20 AM

Daniel Dravot <chasham97NOSPAM@removethisyahoo.com> wrote:

> I didn't use my phone today-- but if I had, those lying sumbitches would
> have had a fight on their hands trying to get any money out of me for it.

....assuming you'd have gone over your monthly bucket by using peak
minutes that you wouldn't have used if today was billed offpeak. And if
not, then what? Wait, let me guess, you'll call and ask for a credit for
airtime you don't have to pay extra for?

This thread is ridiculous. People are bitching about July 5th not being
free because July 4th was free for most of them anyhow because it fell on
a Sunday. Either that, or y'all are complaining about July 5th not being
free because a bunch of people have the day off.

I'm looking at the list of people posting complaints
about this, and I'm genuinely surprised to see complaints from a lot of
people who normally post intelligent stuff - and my advice to all of you
is to GET OVER IT.

July 6, 2004 1:43:21 AM

On Mon, 05 Jul 2004 17:47:30 -0500, Steven J Sobol
<sjsobol@JustThe.net> wrote:

>I'm looking at the list of people posting complaints
>about this, and I'm genuinely surprised to see complaints from a lot of
>people who normally post intelligent stuff - and my advice to all of you
>is to GET OVER IT.

If I recall correctly, you recently dropped VZW. Why then do you care
anymore?

Dave
July 6, 2004 1:43:21 AM

Steven J Sobol <sjsobol@JustThe.net> wrote in message news:<l_idnVjgHbofR3TdRVn-hg@lmi.net>...
> Daniel Dravot <chasham97NOSPAM@removethisyahoo.com> wrote:
>
> > I didn't use my phone today-- but if I had, those lying sumbitches would
> > have had a fight on their hands trying to get any money out of me for it.
>
> ...assuming you'd have gone over your monthly bucket by using peak
> minutes that you wouldn't have used if today was billed offpeak. And if
> not, then what? Wait, let me guess, you'll call and ask for a credit for
> airtime you don't have to pay extra for?
>
> This thread is ridiculous. People are bitching about July 5th not being
> free because July 4th was free for most of them anyhow because it fell on
> a Sunday. Either that, or y'all are complaining about July 5th not being
> free because a bunch of people have the day off.
>
> I'm looking at the list of people posting complaints
> about this, and I'm genuinely surprised to see complaints from a lot of
> people who normally post intelligent stuff - and my advice to all of you
> is to GET OVER IT.

Quite a few of you are wrong.. From the rep I spoke with and looking
at past major hoildays today was indeed billed as off-peak. I heard
the recording yesterday and I confirmed this by speaking to the CSR
today when I did not hear the recording when I called today. She did
say it was select markets, not everyone was going to be billed as
off-peak. She did say my market was being billed as off-peak...NYC
Anonymous
July 6, 2004 1:43:22 AM

Diamond Dave <dmine45.NOSPAM@yahoo.com> wrote:
> On Mon, 05 Jul 2004 17:47:30 -0500, Steven J Sobol
> <sjsobol@JustThe.net> wrote:
>

>>I'm looking at the list of people posting complaints
>>about this, and I'm genuinely surprised to see complaints from a lot of
>>people who normally post intelligent stuff - and my advice to all of you
>>is to GET OVER IT.
>
> If I recall correctly, you recently dropped VZW. Why then do you care
> anymore?

Am dropping. My Sprint phone arrives tomorrow. I can't port my number
without an ETF until the end of August. My VZW account will be active until
then.

And why do I care? You guys are being a bunch of whiny babies, Dave. I'm
moving to Sprint. I don't recall Sprint billing *any* major holidays as
offpeak. It's one of the perks of having Verizon instead of Sprint.
Given that, I find this whole argument that "Verizon is screwing us by
not making July 5th offpeak" more than a little specious, and rather
annoying.

I'd certainly expect more from you and most of the other newsgroup
regulars posting in this thread. Which is saying a lot, considering
that I've never had a single problem with anything you've ever said
here up until now.

July 6, 2004 3:26:22 AM

On Sun, 04 Jul 2004 19:55:24 -0400, Diamond Dave <dmine45.NOSPAM@yahoo.com>
chose to add this to the great equation of life, the universe, and
everything:

>I'm assuming that since July 5th is the "legal holiday" for the Fourth
>that VZW will consider it a holiday for airtime charges? (in other
>words, off peak time instead of peak time).

Yes.

And I sat here all day until it finally occurred to me to use my free time
to connect to NA.

http://home.att.net/~dwstreeter
"Whenever Hillary sees him her knees start knocking." - Bill Clinton on
Jimmy Smits
July 6, 2004 3:27:16 AM

:
: > Yeah, it's called an "observed holiday". Most people have off work,
: > city parking is free, government offices and many business are
: > closed. What's interesting is that nowhere on Verizon's website (I
: > hunted for a few minutes) could I find a list of what they consider
: > "holidays" in regards to peak/off-peak minutes. And the FAQ link on
: > their homepage is busted - it just takes you back to their home page.
: > (Don't tell me "Which holidays do you consider "off-peak" holidays?"
: > isn't a Frequently-asked Question.)
: >
: > Now how much extra money will Verizon make if people use their phones
: > today thinking it's an off-peak day and then wind up going over their
: > minutes for the month?

: The only point I'm willing to concede to you is that the list should
: be posted somewhere (Google for it, it's been posted here, but it
: should be on VZW's website). Not treating an observed holiday as
: offpeak isn't inherently unethical. Unless, of course, you want to
: claim that VZW should be treating the monday on which we celebrate
: MLK's birthday as offpeak. Or President's Day. Neither of those
: days are billed offpeak.

Was July 4th an off-peak last year, when it wasn't on Sunday? (I
wasn't a Verizon customer last July 4th.) If so, it should be this
year, unless they make a special announcement that things have changed
this year. July 5th is the observed July 4th holiday, so it should be
treated the same as if it were indeed July 4th. FWIW, I think July
4th was off-peak with AT&T last year when I was their customer...

The list of holidays should be clearly stated and it should be
consistent - that's all I ask. It should be not only listed on their
website - it should be on their HOME PAGE on or near the day in
question stating, "Reminder: July 5th is a PEAK day!" But what are
the chances Verizon would put such a notice up as a service to their
customers? All that would do is cost them lost revenue.

Andrew
--
----> Portland, Oregon, USA <----
July 6, 2004 3:27:17 AM

Andrew <usenetMYSHOES@bizavemyshoes.com> wrote:

> Was July 4th an off-peak last year, when it wasn't on Sunday? (I
> wasn't a Verizon customer last July 4th.) If so, it should be this
> year, unless they make a special announcement that things have changed
> this year. July 5th is the observed July 4th holiday, so it should be
> treated the same as if it were indeed July 4th. FWIW, I think July
> 4th was off-peak with AT&T last year when I was their customer...

Yes it was, and you're still really stretching to make your point.

July 4th is always, always, ALWAYS billed offpeak by Verizon whether or
not it's a weekday. So are Labor Day, Christmas, New Years and
Thanksgiving. And one or two other days, I forget which.A

Some carriers don't bill ANY holidays as offpeak..

> The list of holidays should be clearly stated and it should be
> consistent - that's all I ask. It should be not only listed on their
> website - it should be on their HOME PAGE on or near the day in
> question stating, "Reminder: July 5th is a PEAK day!" But what are
> the chances Verizon would put such a notice up as a service to their
> customers? All that would do is cost them lost revenue.

Dude, you're being a complete idiot here. On holidays billed as offpeak,
you can dial *611, and immediately after "Welcome to Verizon Wireless!
We never stop working for you." the computer will tell you that today's
airtime is being billed as offpeak airtime. They DO tell you. I agree
that they should say on the website too, and probably on one of the
pages of the previous month's bill. But they've always been consistent.
The list of days has been EXACTLY THE SAME since I became a customer
in September 2000, and that's only a scant few months after Verizon
Wireless came into existence.

And that's not all you're asking. You want today to be free because
yesterday was free and you feel cheated out of your offpeak airtime.

No, really. Otherwise you wouldn't be complaining in the first place.

Get over it already. Again, they should make their list of offpeak
holidays more prominent, but that's the ONLY thing you've been right
about in this thread.

July 6, 2004 5:16:11 AM

On Mon, 05 Jul 2004 14:47:39 -0400, The Ghost of General Lee
<ghost@general.lee> wrote:

>>I just called *611 and the rep told me today is a normal weekday.
>
>Go to the post office and banks and tell them that. The CSR was
>wrong, unless they were talking specifically about the plan *you* are
>on.

Well, the post office and banks are closed on Veterans Day, but it's a
regular peak-period day for your Verizon Wireless plan.
Anonymous
July 6, 2004 5:16:12 AM

On Tue, 06 Jul 2004 01:16:11 GMT, Bob Scheurle
<njtbob2@X-optonline-X.net> wrote:

>On Mon, 05 Jul 2004 14:47:39 -0400, The Ghost of General Lee
><ghost@general.lee> wrote:
>>
>>>I just called *611 and the rep told me today is a normal weekday.
>>
>>Go to the post office and banks and tell them that. The CSR was
>>wrong, unless they were talking specifically about the plan *you* are
>>on.
>
>Well, the post office and banks are closed on Veterans Day, but it's a
>regular peak-period day for your Verizon Wireless plan.

And therefore Veteran's Day isn't a "normal weekday" either, is it?
VZW has nothing to do with it.
Anonymous
July 6, 2004 6:35:37 AM

Steve,

I will miss your posts--and, just for the record, I wasn't complaining,
merely stating that my minutes today were not being counted as "off peak".
Why are you moving to Sprint, or is it a long story? Hubby is with them,
and between his phone and my Verizon, we are just about always covered.

Good luck!

Janie

sjsobol@JustThe.net
> PGP Key available from your friendly local key server (0xE3AE35ED)
> Apple Valley, California Nothing scares me anymore. I have three kids.
Anonymous
July 6, 2004 6:35:38 AM

Janie Collins <jjcollins@triad.rr.com> wrote:
> Steve,
>
> I will miss your posts--and, just for the record, I wasn't complaining,
> merely stating that my minutes today were not being counted as "off peak".
> Why are you moving to Sprint, or is it a long story? Hubby is with them,
> and between his phone and my Verizon, we are just about always covered.

In fact, if I can get the project done tonight that I need to get done,
I'll be posting in a little while. I enjoy talking with y'all too.

I'll be hanging out here, just not really posting much.

July 6, 2004 3:54:13 PM

"Steven J Sobol" <sjsobol@JustThe.net> wrote in message
> Daniel Dravot <chasham97NOSPAM@removethisyahoo.com> wrote:
>
> > I didn't use my phone today-- but if I had, those lying sumbitches would
> > have had a fight on their hands trying to get any money out of me for
it.

> ...assuming you'd have gone over your monthly bucket by using peak
> minutes that you wouldn't have used if today was billed offpeak. And if
> not, then what? Wait, let me guess, you'll call and ask for a credit for
> airtime you don't have to pay extra for?
>
> This thread is ridiculous. People are bitching about July 5th not being
> free because July 4th was free for most of them anyhow because it fell on
> a Sunday. Either that, or y'all are complaining about July 5th not being
> free because a bunch of people have the day off.
>
> I'm looking at the list of people posting complaints
> about this, and I'm genuinely surprised to see complaints from a lot of
> people who normally post intelligent stuff - and my advice to all of you
> is to GET OVER IT.

You're thinking too small here. The issue is corporate consistency and being
able to believe what VZW tells you.

I (and other posters) heard that message, then they withdrew it and reversed
what the message said. If a person- or company- is to have any credibility,
you say what you're going to do-- then do it....not reverse your policy and
pull the rug out from people, especially without notifying them.

I don't really care which way they go- peak or off peak-- but I have to know
the rules so I can act accordingly.

It's a trust and reliability issue.

Dan'l.
Anonymous
July 6, 2004 4:15:02 PM

Daniel Dravot <chasham97NOSPAM@removethisyahoo.com> wrote:

> You're thinking too small here. The issue is corporate consistency and being
> able to believe what VZW tells you.

Yes, that's a big issue. Another big issue, which I've already mentioned,
is that Verizon need to put in plain view, on its website, the list of
holidays billed offpeak, and what happens if a holiday falls on a Sunday.

> I don't really care which way they go- peak or off peak-- but I have to know
> the rules so I can act accordingly.
>
> It's a trust and reliability issue.

Agreed.

July 6, 2004 9:09:09 PM

On Mon, 05 Jul 2004 21:19:54 -0500, Steven J Sobol
<sjsobol@JustThe.net> wrote:

>Am dropping. My Sprint phone arrives tomorrow. I can't port my number
>without an ETF until the end of August. My VZW account will be active until
>then.
>
>And why do I care? You guys are being a bunch of whiny babies, Dave. I'm
>moving to Sprint. I don't recall Sprint billing *any* major holidays as
>offpeak. It's one of the perks of having Verizon instead of Sprint.
>Given that, I find this whole argument that "Verizon is screwing us by
>not making July 5th offpeak" more than a little specious, and rather
>annoying.
>
>I'd certainly expect more from you and most of the other newsgroup
>regulars posting in this thread. Which is saying a lot, considering
>that I've never had a single problem with anything you've ever said
>here up until now.

You know what? You take things too seriously at times.

The only reason I created this thread is to

1) Get some VZW discussion on this newsgroup (I'm so sick of that spam
that appears here)

2) Just trying to see what people's reaction would be.

I really didn't care that July 5th was peak minutes instead of off
peak. I have more peak minutes each month than I ever use (came close
once but still was within 30 minutes of my alloted time). I was just
curious if VZW was gonna declare it a holiday or not. Obviously they
took the cheap way out, but that doesn't really bother me.

Yes, I know you're moving to Sprint (feel sorry for you already!)
because of lack of good coverage where you now live. As I've always
said, go with the company that gives you what you want and can be used
where you need it the most. Granted, all carriers work about the same
(rather poorly) where I now live. 3 months ago I lived where VZW and
others worked great. Now I'm lucky if I can keep a signal without
dropping. Sprint, Cingular and VZW are the same where I now live.
However, where I travel, VZW does a great job so I've stuck with them.

(Tried to convince the wife and her daughter to switch - they like
Cingular's "roll me over" minutes)

So take a chill pill, Steve :-) Sometimes I like to stir up the pot
to see what happens. Seems like you and a lot of others took the bait.

Dave
July 7, 2004 2:40:58 AM

Sobol,
Sounds like sour grapes for you... So Verizon didn't work out for you at the
new place. And you think Sprint PCS will be better, more power to you. But
Sprint gives away less than VZW. And the cost is not really better IMHO.

Now VZW is making tons of money, and they could afford to give a little
away. They have the fewest promotions, special, and options, of any carrier,
well because
they don't have to offer them.

But it would not kill them to have a few more holiday options. I was off all
day yesterday, and even could have attended a parade. VZW should be willing
to give a little, or one day they will wake up with a dwindling customer
base. Great network or not.

I think Cingular & AT&T merger is the best thing
that happened to the industry, and Cingular will catch up and perhaps
surpass
the great VZW.

So it's not whining, I think it's a legitimate complaint.
AL

"Steven J Sobol" <sjsobol@JustThe.net> wrote in message
> Am dropping. My Sprint phone arrives tomorrow. I can't port my number
> without an ETF until the end of August. My VZW account will be active
until
> then.
>
> And why do I care? You guys are being a bunch of whiny babies, Dave. I'm
> moving to Sprint. I don't recall Sprint billing *any* major holidays as
> offpeak. It's one of the perks of having Verizon instead of Sprint.
> Given that, I find this whole argument that "Verizon is screwing us by
> not making July 5th offpeak" more than a little specious, and rather
> annoying.
>
> I'd certainly expect more from you and most of the other newsgroup
> regulars posting in this thread. Which is saying a lot, considering
> that I've never had a single problem with anything you've ever said
> here up until now.
>
> --
> JustThe.net Internet & New Media Services, http://JustThe.net/
> Steven J. Sobol, Geek In Charge / 888.480.4NET (4638) /
sjsobol@JustThe.net
> PGP Key available from your friendly local key server (0xE3AE35ED)
> Apple Valley, California Nothing scares me anymore. I have three kids.
Anonymous
July 7, 2004 2:40:59 AM

AL <al145 @ delete.hotmail.com> wrote:
> Sobol,
> Sounds like sour grapes for you... So Verizon didn't work out for you at the
> new place. And you think Sprint PCS will be better, more power to you. But
> Sprint gives away less than VZW. And the cost is not really better IMHO.

Hm. Flat-rate SMS messaging and PCS Vision (1xRTT) web access, monthly download
credits... and more minutes for lower cost. I'd disagree with you. The costs
for similar plans (America's Choice versus PCS Free and Clear, for example),
ARE actually pretty close, though. T-Mobile is probably *the* cheapest carrier
these days. But I like what I'm getting from Sprint. Yeah, I'm giving something
up, a half-dozen days that are no longer going to be offpeak. OTOH, since most
of my family and a number of my friends are on Sprint, the $5 unlimited PCS
to PCS option is worth much more to me. :)  I could pay another $5 per month
for 7pm nights, but I've decided not to do that right now.

> away. They have the fewest promotions, special, and options, of any carrier,
> well because
> they don't have to offer them.

I know.

> But it would not kill them to have a few more holiday options. I was off all
> day yesterday, and even could have attended a parade. VZW should be willing
> to give a little, or one day they will wake up with a dwindling customer
> base. Great network or not.

I have to agree with you there.

> I think Cingular & AT&T merger is the best thing
> that happened to the industry, and Cingular will catch up and perhaps
> surpass
> the great VZW.

It's definitely going to make things interesting. VZ needs some competition
from a carrier of similar size.

> So it's not whining, I think it's a legitimate complaint.

I still say it's sour grapes (to use your phrase). My point was that there
ARE carriers that don't even give you the holidays VZW gives you.

July 7, 2004 3:47:12 AM

Diamond Dave <dmine45.NOSPAM@yahoo.com> wrote:

>>Feel sorry for me if you like. :)  I've been a Sprint customer since the end of
>>'01. Wife's phone is a Sprint phone and always has been. They're definitely
>>not perfect, but they did manage to iron out the hideous customer service
>>issues they had a couple years ago, and the service works where I need it to.
>
> I used to be a Sprint LD customer and my father still is. Left them in
> 1997, never looked back. I've heard so many horror stories with LD,
> Local and PCS that I chose to stay away. Also where I live, SPCS has
> poor coverage. But of course, YMMV.

MMDV, in fact. Sprint PCS, Sprint Long Distance too. I have the Sprint 50
at Home promotion that the company offers to their wireless customers. And
they work for me.

In fact, Verizon Wireless also works quite well in most places around Southern
California, and based on their network and coverage, I'd still recommend them.
But not in Victorville, where they've had unresolved issues for months. Also,
my bills used to come from Irvine (out near Los Angeles) and my calls used
to go to the Rancho Cordova, CA call center. Now my calls go to Seattle (I
am not sure any of them are routed to RC anymore) and my bills come from a
Seattle suburb. Don't know if that has had any effect on customer service,
and the CSRs are always polite and try to help, but I'm just not getting the
stellar customer service I used to get from the fine folks in Dublin, Ohio
when I lived in Cleveland. (Dublin is the corporate office handling Ohio and
Michigan accounts. Or was, at least, up until I moved here last July.)

>>UPS just dropped off my Samsung A660 and I'm playing with it, so I might
>>be off the newsgroup for a while. :)
>
> Understood. Go play with your new toy :-)

Dude. Flat-rate Vision, including ringtone downloads, and for $15,
I can buy Xingtone and make ringtones out of WAV files and CD tracks. If I
get ringtones from Sprint I have to pay per download. (of course that also
applies to Java apps and screensavers and other content)

Yummy-licious. Now I understand why people complain about Verizon not
having gadget phones (though I didn't think it was worth spending more
money for a camera or video phone).

July 7, 2004 9:12:27 AM

On Mon, 05 Jul 2004 17:40:09 -0500, Steven J Sobol <sjsobol@JustThe.net>
chose to add this to the great equation of life, the universe, and
everything:

>The Ghost of General Lee <ghost@general.lee> wrote:
>> On Mon, 05 Jul 2004 15:44:12 GMT, Bob Scheurle
>> <njtbob2@X-optonline-X.net> wrote:

>>>I just called *611 and the rep told me today is a normal weekday.
>>
>> Go to the post office and banks and tell them that. The CSR was
>> wrong, unless they were talking specifically about the plan *you* are
>> on.
>
>GMAFB. There are plenty of businesses open. Including my doctor's office,
>and you know the kind of hours doctors keep (gotta get in those 18 holes,
>y'know). :)

None of which contradicts his statement that banks and post offices are
closed. We also did not have our normal Monday garbage pickup.

>It'd be cool if 7/5 was offpeak this year, but I don't see any compelling
>reason to complain because it's not.

How about because you'd be getting less than what your contract promises
you? The standard America's Choice plan includes six holidays, and if any
of them is on a day which is off-peak anyway, you are losing out on one
sixth of your free days, so they give you the next day to compensate. If
they didn't, you and a lot of other people would bitch about it.

http://home.att.net/~dwstreeter
"Sir, I need you to dig in now. It wasn't a nightmare. You really are the
President." - Charlie Young
Anonymous
July 7, 2004 9:12:28 AM

David S <dwstreeter@spamisnaughty.att.net> wrote:

> How about because you'd be getting less than what your contract promises
> you? The standard America's Choice plan includes six holidays, and if any
> of them is on a day which is off-peak anyway, you are losing out on one
> sixth of your free days, so they give you the next day to compensate. If
> they didn't, you and a lot of other people would bitch about it.

Actually, I don't care. :)  Never have before, either.

July 7, 2004 9:12:29 AM

On Mon, 05 Jul 2004 17:47:30 -0500, Steven J Sobol <sjsobol@JustThe.net>
chose to add this to the great equation of life, the universe, and
everything:

>Daniel Dravot <chasham97NOSPAM@removethisyahoo.com> wrote:
>
>> I didn't use my phone today-- but if I had, those lying sumbitches would
>> have had a fight on their hands trying to get any money out of me for it.
>
>...assuming you'd have gone over your monthly bucket by using peak
>minutes that you wouldn't have used if today was billed offpeak. And if
>not, then what? Wait, let me guess, you'll call and ask for a credit for
>airtime you don't have to pay extra for?
>
>This thread is ridiculous. People are bitching about July 5th not being
>free because July 4th was free for most of them anyhow because it fell on
>a Sunday. Either that, or y'all are complaining about July 5th not being
>free because a bunch of people have the day off.
>
>I'm looking at the list of people posting complaints
>about this, and I'm genuinely surprised to see complaints from a lot of
>people who normally post intelligent stuff - and my advice to all of you
>is to GET OVER IT.

If I go over my minutes (which is unlikely anyway, but I did use NA for
over an hour of normally-peak time yesterday) I will have reason to bitch
because i called CS back in January and they TOLD me July 5 would be
off-peak.

Interestingly, I just (writing this at 10:30 am) did a #646 and the
estimate is as of *before* I got on NA, so those minutes don't show up in
ANY bucket yet. This is unusual behavior for #646 (especially since just
last week, it was up to date within a few minutes, for the first time since
I started using it).

http://home.att.net/~dwstreeter
"Here in the newspaper industry, we LOVE giving you instructions for
elaborate holiday craft projects that we would never dream of making
ourselves. Our role model is Martha Stewart, who actually lives in a Motel
6 room furnished entirely with used KFC boxes." - Dave Barry
Anonymous
July 7, 2004 9:12:30 AM

David S <dwstreeter@spamisnaughty.att.net> wrote:

> If I go over my minutes (which is unlikely anyway, but I did use NA for
> over an hour of normally-peak time yesterday) I will have reason to bitch
> because i called CS back in January and they TOLD me July 5 would be
> off-peak.

*THAT* is a valid reason to complain.

July 7, 2004 11:07:45 AM

In article <2KWdnS9yNrsll3fd4p2dnA@lmi.net>,
Steven J Sobol <sjsobol@JustThe.net> wrote:
>July 4th is always, always, ALWAYS billed offpeak by Verizon whether or
>not it's a weekday. So are Labor Day, Christmas, New Years and
>Thanksgiving. And one or two other days, I forget which.

You mean that the calls I made on July 4 on my plan which has a weekend
bucket will be billed out of my peak/off-peak bucket and not my weekend
bucket??! (old SRN+3200 weekend minutes)
Anonymous
July 7, 2004 11:07:46 AM

CharlesH <hoch@exemplary.invalid> wrote:
> In article <2KWdnS9yNrsll3fd4p2dnA@lmi.net>,
> Steven J Sobol <sjsobol@JustThe.net> wrote:
>>July 4th is always, always, ALWAYS billed offpeak by Verizon whether or
>>not it's a weekday. So are Labor Day, Christmas, New Years and
>>Thanksgiving. And one or two other days, I forget which.
>
> You mean that the calls I made on July 4 on my plan which has a weekend
> bucket will be billed out of my peak/off-peak bucket and not my weekend
> bucket??! (old SRN+3200 weekend minutes)

I meant "offpeak" in the generic sense. You can confirm this with VZW
if you want - I believe they come out of weekend instead of night bucket...
iow, if you only have nights and not weekends you still pay.

July 8, 2004 9:04:33 AM

On Mon, 05 Jul 2004 21:14:12 -0500, Steven J Sobol <sjsobol@JustThe.net>
chose to add this to the great equation of life, the universe, and
everything:

>Diamond Dave <dmine45.NOSPAM@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>>>The only reason people are getting time off today is because they didn't
>>>get to get the 4th off because it was a day most of them wouldn't have been
>>>working anyhow.
>>
>> That is true, but for the vast majority of us, it was a paid holiday.
>
>Point being, it just *happens* to be a day off, it's not going to be a day
>off next year, it's not consistently a federal holiday, and I still fail to
>see what the big deal is.

The big deal, besides what I already posted about us being entitled to six
free days per year, is that CS *told* me July 5 would be free (yeah, right,
why believe *them*?).

I just did a #646 and it looks like they did, in fact, bill my NA time on
Monday as peak. It's pretty unlikely that I will go over anyway, but if I
do, it's certainly worth bitching about.

http://home.att.net/~dwstreeter
"I've gone off the idea of progress. It's overrated." - Arthur Dent
Anonymous
July 8, 2004 9:04:34 AM

On 5 Jul 2004 20:59:21 -0700, babolat30@aol.com (Babolat) chose to add this
to the great equation of life, the universe, and everything:

>Just for the record, and given that July 5th is almost over on the
>east coast, I have an email from a CSR that someone posted on this
>newsgroup a long time ago:
>

>Thank you for contacting Verizon Wireless through our web site.
>
>The following days are considered off peak holidays:
>1.New Year Day
>2.Memorial Day
>3.July 4th
>4.Labor Day
>5.Thanksgiving Day
>6.Christmas Day

Hey, guess what?! We can have this argument again this December! Christmas
and New Year's are on Saturdays and therefore also off-peak anyway. Then we
can do it again *next* December when they'll be on Sundays...

I plan to ask this question via email and keep the response on file. And
then shove it down their throats when they renege.

http://home.att.net/~dwstreeter
"Wounded come before personal chafing." - Col. Sherman Potter
Anonymous
July 9, 2004 9:44:54 PM

David S <dwstreeter@spamisnaughty.att.net> wrote in message news:<tr5oe0dllr15r9dir46797e4c2l0nas1ek@4ax.com>...
> On 5 Jul 2004 20:59:21 -0700, babolat30@aol.com (Babolat) chose to add this
> to the great equation of life, the universe, and everything:
>
> >Just for the record, and given that July 5th is almost over on the
> >east coast, I have an email from a CSR that someone posted on this
> >newsgroup a long time ago:
> >

> >Thank you for contacting Verizon Wireless through our web site.
> >
> >The following days are considered off peak holidays:
> >1.New Year Day
> >2.Memorial Day
> >3.July 4th
> >4.Labor Day
> >5.Thanksgiving Day
> >6.Christmas Day
>

> I plan to ask this question via email and keep the response on file. And
> then shove it down their throats when they renege.

Well, you can't argue with them because they'll claim they gave you
july 4th off which they did. Just happened to be that it was on a
Sunday! While, it would have been good business practice to give us
the Monday off as well, you can't argue with them based on the email
above.
Anonymous
July 11, 2004 5:16:17 AM

In article <ee1cd441.0407091644.cfc4490@posting.google.com>,
Babolat <babolat30@aol.com> wrote:
>David S <dwstreeter@spamisnaughty.att.net> wrote in message
>> On 5 Jul 2004 20:59:21 -0700, babolat30@aol.com (Babolat) chose to add this
>> to the great equation of life, the universe, and everything:
>>
>> >Just for the record, and given that July 5th is almost over on the
>> >east coast, I have an email from a CSR that someone posted on this
>> >newsgroup a long time ago:
>> >

>> >Thank you for contacting Verizon Wireless through our web site.
>> >
>> >The following days are considered off peak holidays:
>> >1.New Year Day
>> >2.Memorial Day
>> >3.July 4th
>> >4.Labor Day
>> >5.Thanksgiving Day
>> >6.Christmas Day

I have NSR with a 3200 weekend-only minutes promotion. For me peak and
night/offpeak come out of my plan minutes, and weekends come out of the
3200-minute bucket. I would be REALLY ticked if they strictly applied
the above and billed my Sunday, July 4 minutes as off-peak rather than
weekend.
Anonymous
July 11, 2004 5:42:13 AM

CharlesH wrote:

> In article <ee1cd441.0407091644.cfc4490@posting.google.com>,
> Babolat <babolat30@aol.com> wrote:
> >David S <dwstreeter@spamisnaughty.att.net> wrote in message
> >> On 5 Jul 2004 20:59:21 -0700, babolat30@aol.com (Babolat) chose to add this
> >> to the great equation of life, the universe, and everything:

> I have NSR with a 3200 weekend-only minutes promotion. For me peak and
> night/offpeak come out of my plan minutes, and weekends come out of the
> 3200-minute bucket. I would be REALLY ticked if they strictly applied
> the above and billed my Sunday, July 4 minutes as off-peak rather than
> weekend.

"REALLY ticked"

I'm not singling you out, Charles, but it absolutely amazes me what
REALLY ticks people off, these days.

Priorities, folks. Priorities.

Notan
Anonymous
July 11, 2004 5:42:14 AM

> "REALLY ticked"
>
> I'm not singling you out, Charles, but it absolutely amazes me what
> REALLY ticks people off, these days.
>
> Priorities, folks. Priorities.

Agreed. I'm actually somewhat amused at the volume of posts every time a
holiday rolls around. You would think that the entire cellular industry
needs to rethink their marketing philosophies to focus solely on holidays.
And the posts would make it seem as if people increase their usage on these
days by an incredible amount of minutes.

Here's a suggestion- base your expectations on the normal bucket of minutes
the holiday would fall into, based on the day of the week it occurs. If it
ends up being cheaper, you're ahead of the game.
Anonymous
July 11, 2004 5:42:15 AM

Scott Stephenson <scott.stephensonson@adelphia.net> wrote:

> Here's a suggestion- base your expectations on the normal bucket of minutes
> the holiday would fall into, based on the day of the week it occurs. If it
> ends up being cheaper, you're ahead of the game.

Good advice! Honestly, it never even made a difference to me on Verizon
that certain holidays were offpeak because I budgeted minutes for those
days anyhow. And it won't make a difference to me now that I'm using a
carrier that bills all weekdays as peak.

July 12, 2004 8:41:06 AM

On 11 Jul 2004 01:16:17 GMT, hoch@exemplary.invalid (CharlesH) chose to add
this to the great equation of life, the universe, and everything:

>In article <ee1cd441.0407091644.cfc4490@posting.google.com>,
>Babolat <babolat30@aol.com> wrote:
>>David S <dwstreeter@spamisnaughty.att.net> wrote in message
>>> On 5 Jul 2004 20:59:21 -0700, babolat30@aol.com (Babolat) chose to add this
>>> to the great equation of life, the universe, and everything:

>I have NSR with a 3200 weekend-only minutes promotion. For me peak and
>night/offpeak come out of my plan minutes, and weekends come out of the
>3200-minute bucket. I would be REALLY ticked if they strictly applied
>the above and billed my Sunday, July 4 minutes as off-peak rather than
>weekend.

Don't get *too* excited over a post here. Most of us use "off-peak" as a
generic term that means both night and weekend. In fact, I think I remember
the last time this came around that someone said holidays count as weekend
days.

http://home.att.net/~dwstreeter
"Joe Namath is 20 yards underweight." - NBC sportscaster Charles Jones
Anonymous
July 12, 2004 8:41:07 AM

On Sat, 10 Jul 2004 19:58:40 -0600, "Scott Stephenson"
<scott.stephensonson@adelphia.net> chose to add this to the great equation
of life, the universe, and everything:

>"Notan" <notan@ddress.com> wrote in message
>
>> "REALLY ticked"
>>
>> I'm not singling you out, Charles, but it absolutely amazes me what
>> REALLY ticks people off, these days.
>>
>> Priorities, folks. Priorities.
>
>Agreed. I'm actually somewhat amused at the volume of posts every time a
>holiday rolls around. You would think that the entire cellular industry
>needs to rethink their marketing philosophies to focus solely on holidays.
>And the posts would make it seem as if people increase their usage on these
>days by an incredible amount of minutes.
>
>Here's a suggestion- base your expectations on the normal bucket of minutes
>the holiday would fall into, based on the day of the week it occurs. If it
>ends up being cheaper, you're ahead of the game.

Some people, if they have free holidays, will use them to call people. I,
if I had remembered, would have used it for web surfing (but it turns out
it may be just as well, since it appears they charged the minutes I did use
as peak, conflicting with what they told me back in January).

http://home.att.net/~dwstreeter
"Okay, we just kill the beastie and then all is good, we're rollin' in
puppies." - Willow Rosenberg
Anonymous
July 16, 2004 4:39:54 AM

On Mon, 05 Jul 2004 14:48:28 -0400, The Ghost of General Lee
<ghost@general.lee> wrote:

>>Confirmed. It is PEAK minutes today.
>
>Just how did you "confirm" this? Your bill come in yet?

I got my bill today, and calls on July 5 were billed as PEAK period
calls.
!