Freelancer won't play online anymore

mmmikezd

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2009
I had freelancer installed on my computer and it worked just fine. My friends computer would play the game but could NOT play online at all. The screen lods up but there is nothing listed in there. No servers I guess it is called.

Well We messed with it for about an hour and did some things and we got his to work. Mine was missing a few things but I COULD play online. To fix the missing things I thought I would Un-install the game and re-install the game.

Well I did that and now mine will not work. IT does look like its looking for a Mod or server but nothing comes up in the listings.

any suggestions guys? We are both running Vista but I'm running the X64 Bit version of Vista. Remember mine worked just fine before I un-installed and re-installed so I doubt it if it has anything to do with Vista X64.

My system spec's are as follows.

Intel core 2 quad Q6600
Gigabyte Mother board.
8 Gig of high speed ram.
500 Gig hard drive space
Video card is a EVGA GTS 8800 with 640 on board

This computer should be able to run the game online without a problem at all. Any help would be nice guys. Maybe you have to install the game first and then the FL quick fix 1.2 and then the FL Mod Manager and then the VOID mod.

Is there a way to do this and get it to work guys?

thanks.

randomizer

Champion
The Freelancer Global Server was taken down by Microsoft last year (or maybe even 2007?) for maintenance due to "hackers." I suspect the real reason is just because they didn't care about the game any more, evident in the fact that no patches were ever released. You can download the workaround from here: http://www.flserver.de/

The workaround essentially passes the IP addresses of servers who have had their address submitted to this site (most of the major ones have) to the game, so they will show up in the LAN menu.

You can also use the Freelancer Server Direct Connect Tool which performs the same task but has a fancy GUI and a few other options.

Finally, a community-based global server was created ( http://www.fllistserver.com/ ) but I've not played FL in a long time and have not tried to get this to work. Might be worth looking at as well.