Temp Files.

I have a large number of temp files in the windows/temp directory. They are
all zero byte files.

I am unable to delete them. I have run System Mechanic ver. 5 and Norton
System Works but they will not allow me to delete them. I have tried in safe
mode as well as in windows XT sp2, Professional. I have a Pentium III 1 gig
processor and 512 mb ram.

Can you help me on this one.
All advice appreciated.

Thanks and regards,
Werner
22 answers Last reply
More about temp files

    When you delete Temporary Internet Files via IE Tools > Internet Options >
    General > Delete files, accept the option to delete all offline content.
    Outlook Express creates a zero-byte file of this type for every message you
    open and every time you open it. For heavy OE users these can really add up
    over time and bog your system down.
    --
    ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
    MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE) & Security

    Bullwinkle. J. Moose wrote:
    > I have a large number of temp files in the windows/temp directory. They
    > are all zero byte files.
    >
    > I am unable to delete them. I have run System Mechanic ver. 5 and Norton
    > System Works but they will not allow me to delete them. I have tried in
    > safe mode as well as in windows XT sp2, Professional. I have a Pentium
    > III 1 gig processor and 512 mb ram.
    >
    > Can you help me on this one.
    > All advice appreciated.
    >
    > Thanks and regards,
    > Werner

    Reboot.

    CA* files in TIF
    http://www.fjsmjs.com/OE/CA.htm

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:%233ttMZVdFHA.1044@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl,
    Bullwinkle. J. Moose <moose.nyc@nospam.verizon.net> hunted and pecked:
    > I have a large number of temp files in the windows/temp directory. They
    > are all zero byte files.
    >
    > I am unable to delete them. I have run System Mechanic ver. 5 and Norton
    > System Works but they will not allow me to delete them. I have tried in
    > safe mode as well as in windows XT sp2, Professional. I have a Pentium
    > III 1 gig processor and 512 mb ram.
    >
    > Can you help me on this one.
    > All advice appreciated.
    >
    > Thanks and regards,
    > Werner

    Hi,

    Can I know the format and name of those temp files that you could not
    delete?
    Sometimes, antivirus and anti-spyware application produces logs as temp
    files which are unable to remove.

    Kelvin Lin
    http://www.webgururox.info

    "Bullwinkle. J. Moose" <moose.nyc@nospam.verizon.net> wrote in message

    > I have a large number of temp files in the windows/temp directory. They
    > are all zero byte files.
    >
    > I am unable to delete them. I have run System Mechanic ver. 5 and Norton
    > System Works but they will not allow me to delete them. I have tried in
    > safe mode as well as in windows XT sp2, Professional. I have a Pentium III
    > 1 gig processor and 512 mb ram.
    >
    > Can you help me on this one.
    > All advice appreciated.
    >
    > Thanks and regards,
    > Werner

    Ok, Thanks for the replies. However, I tried the suggestion by PA Bear but
    that didn't work.

    Rebooting didn't do anything either. The files are still impossible to
    delete.

    The format, I think you mean is as follows:
    C:\Windows\Temp\tmp00005bf7\tmp00000000. This is just one example. There are
    57 more dating from early march to current date.

    Does this info help you find a solution that will work.

    Thanks,
    regards,
    Werner

    "Kelvin Lin" <me@webgururox.info> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > Can I know the format and name of those temp files that you could not
    > delete?
    > Sometimes, antivirus and anti-spyware application produces logs as temp
    > files which are unable to remove.

    > Kelvin Lin
    > http://www.webgururox.info
    >
    > "Bullwinkle. J. Moose" <moose.nyc@nospam.verizon.net> wrote in message
    >>
    >> I have a large number of temp files in the windows/temp directory. They
    >> are all zero byte files.
    >>
    >> I am unable to delete them. I have run System Mechanic ver. 5 and Norton
    >> System Works but they will not allow me to delete them. I have tried in
    >> safe mode as well as in windows XT sp2, Professional. I have a Pentium
    >> III 1 gig processor and 512 mb ram.
    >>
    >> Can you help me on this one.
    >> All advice appreciated.
    >>
    >> Thanks and regards,
    >> Werner

    Possibly a virus (virus, worm or Trojan), or spyware.

    Try this...

    HijackThis Delete a file on reboot...

    Download, install, run, update and run HijackThis again.

    Open HijackThis, click the Config button, then click on the Misc Tools
    button. Once at the new screen, click the Delete a file on reboot button.
    You will be presented with a dialog asking you to pick a file.

    Copy and paste C:\Windows\Temp\tmp00005bf7 into the file name field and
    press the open button.

    Reboot when HijackThis asks you to.
    -----

    HijackThis

    HijackThis log tutorial
    http://www.spywareinfo.com/~merijn/htlogtutorial.html

    HijackThis Log Tutorial
    http://www.aumha.org/a/hjttutor.htm

    How to use HijackThis to remove Browser Hijackers & Spyware
    http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/index.php?showtutorial=42#warning

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:OdeUJ3adFHA.1044@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl,
    Bullwinkle. J. Moose <moose.nyc@nospam.verizon.net> hunted and pecked:
    > Ok, Thanks for the replies. However, I tried the suggestion by PA Bear but
    > that didn't work.
    >
    > Rebooting didn't do anything either. The files are still impossible to
    > delete.
    >
    > The format, I think you mean is as follows:
    > C:\Windows\Temp\tmp00005bf7\tmp00000000. This is just one example. There
    > are 57 more dating from early march to current date.
    >
    > Does this info help you find a solution that will work.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > regards,
    > Werner
    >
    > "Kelvin Lin" <me@webgururox.info> wrote in message
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> Can I know the format and name of those temp files that you could not
    >> delete?
    >> Sometimes, antivirus and anti-spyware application produces logs as temp
    >> files which are unable to remove.
    >>

    >> --
    >> --
    >> Kelvin Lin
    >> http://www.webgururox.info
    >>
    >> "Bullwinkle. J. Moose" <moose.nyc@nospam.verizon.net> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> I have a large number of temp files in the windows/temp directory. They
    >>> are all zero byte files.
    >>>
    >>> I am unable to delete them. I have run System Mechanic ver. 5 and Norton
    >>> System Works but they will not allow me to delete them. I have tried in
    >>> safe mode as well as in windows XT sp2, Professional. I have a Pentium
    >>> III 1 gig processor and 512 mb ram.
    >>>
    >>> Can you help me on this one.
    >>> All advice appreciated.
    >>>
    >>> Thanks and regards,
    >>> Werner

    Checking for/Help with Hijackware
    http://aumha.org/a/parasite.htm
    http://aumha.org/a/quickfix.htm
    http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?t=5878
    http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm
    http://inetexplorer.mvps.org/archive/tshoot.html

    When all else fails, HijackThis v1.99.1
    (http://aumha.net/downloads/hijackthis.zip) is the preferred tool to use.
    It will help you to both identify and remove any hijackware/spyware. **Post
    your log to http://forums.spywareinfo.com/,
    http://castlecops.com/forum67.html or http://aumha.net/viewforum.php?f=30
    for expert analysis, not here.**

    --

    Bullwinkle. J. Moose wrote:
    > Ok, Thanks for the replies. However, I tried the suggestion by PA Bear but
    > that didn't work.
    >
    > Rebooting didn't do anything either. The files are still impossible to
    > delete.
    >
    > The format, I think you mean is as follows:
    > C:\Windows\Temp\tmp00005bf7\tmp00000000. This is just one example. There
    > are 57 more dating from early march to current date.
    >
    > Does this info help you find a solution that will work.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > regards,
    > Werner
    >
    > "Kelvin Lin" <me@webgururox.info> wrote in message
    > > Hi,
    > >
    > > Can I know the format and name of those temp files that you could not
    > > delete?
    > > Sometimes, antivirus and anti-spyware application produces logs as temp
    > > files which are unable to remove.
    > >

    > > --
    > > --
    > > Kelvin Lin
    > > http://www.webgururox.info
    > >
    > > "Bullwinkle. J. Moose" <moose.nyc@nospam.verizon.net> wrote in message
    > > >
    > > > I have a large number of temp files in the windows/temp directory.
    > > > They are all zero byte files.
    > > >
    > > > I am unable to delete them. I have run System Mechanic ver. 5 and
    > > > Norton System Works but they will not allow me to delete them. I have
    > > > tried in safe mode as well as in windows XT sp2, Professional. I have
    > > > a Pentium III 1 gig processor and 512 mb ram.
    > > >
    > > > Can you help me on this one.
    > > > All advice appreciated.
    > > >
    > > > Thanks and regards,
    > > > Werner

    Thanks, I'll let you know the result.

    Regards,

    Werner

    > Checking for/Help with Hijackware
    > http://aumha.org/a/parasite.htm
    > http://aumha.org/a/quickfix.htm
    > http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?t=5878
    > http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm
    > http://inetexplorer.mvps.org/archive/tshoot.html

    > (http://aumha.net/downloads/hijackthis.zip) is the preferred tool to use.
    > It will help you to both identify and remove any hijackware/spyware.
    > **Post your log to http://forums.spywareinfo.com/,
    > http://castlecops.com/forum67.html or http://aumha.net/viewforum.php?f=30
    > for expert analysis, not here.**
    >
    > --
    > ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
    > MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE) & Security
    >
    > Bullwinkle. J. Moose wrote:
    >> Ok, Thanks for the replies. However, I tried the suggestion by PA Bear
    >> but
    >> that didn't work.
    >>
    >> Rebooting didn't do anything either. The files are still impossible to
    >> delete.
    >>
    >> The format, I think you mean is as follows:
    >> C:\Windows\Temp\tmp00005bf7\tmp00000000. This is just one example. There
    >> are 57 more dating from early march to current date.
    >>
    >> Does this info help you find a solution that will work.
    >>
    >> Thanks,
    >> regards,
    >> Werner
    >>
    >> "Kelvin Lin" <me@webgururox.info> wrote in message
    >> > Hi,
    >> >
    >> > Can I know the format and name of those temp files that you could not
    >> > delete?
    >> > Sometimes, antivirus and anti-spyware application produces logs as temp
    >> > files which are unable to remove.
    >> >

    >> > --
    >> > --
    >> > Kelvin Lin
    >> > http://www.webgururox.info
    >> >
    >> > "Bullwinkle. J. Moose" <moose.nyc@nospam.verizon.net> wrote in message

    It doesn't work when I reboot, even to safe mode.

    > Reboot.
    >
    > CA* files in TIF
    > http://www.fjsmjs.com/OE/CA.htm
    >
    > --
    > Hope this helps. Let us know.
    >
    > Wes
    > MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    >
    > In news:%233ttMZVdFHA.1044@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl,
    > Bullwinkle. J. Moose <moose.nyc@nospam.verizon.net> hunted and pecked:
    >> I have a large number of temp files in the windows/temp directory. They
    >> are all zero byte files.
    >>
    >> I am unable to delete them. I have run System Mechanic ver. 5 and Norton
    >> System Works but they will not allow me to delete them. I have tried in
    >> safe mode as well as in windows XT sp2, Professional. I have a Pentium
    >> III 1 gig processor and 512 mb ram.
    >>
    >> Can you help me on this one.
    >> All advice appreciated.
    >>
    >> Thanks and regards,
    >> Werner

    What's interesting is that the directories have the attribute of N.
    I've never seen that before and I can't change it or remove it.
    I've tried cccleaner also with no luck.

    I have sent the hijackthis file to the site and will hopefully get some
    input from there .

    So, still can't delete these files. They have less than 1000 bytes but there
    are over 60 files now.

    I will report when I have gotten a response.

    Thanks for all your help.

    Regards,
    Werner.

    > When you delete Temporary Internet Files via IE Tools > Internet Options >
    > General > Delete files, accept the option to delete all offline content.
    > Outlook Express creates a zero-byte file of this type for every message
    > you open and every time you open it. For heavy OE users these can really
    > add up over time and bog your system down.
    > --
    > ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
    > MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE) & Security
    >
    > Bullwinkle. J. Moose wrote:
    >> I have a large number of temp files in the windows/temp directory. They
    >> are all zero byte files.
    >>
    >> I am unable to delete them. I have run System Mechanic ver. 5 and Norton
    >> System Works but they will not allow me to delete them. I have tried in
    >> safe mode as well as in windows XT sp2, Professional. I have a Pentium
    >> III 1 gig processor and 512 mb ram.
    >>
    >> Can you help me on this one.
    >> All advice appreciated.
    >>
    >> Thanks and regards,
    >> Werner

    Mr Moose

    Try this...

    Regards

    CReWdog

    | Attachment filename: delinvfile.zip |
    |Download attachment: http://www.mcse.ms/attachment.php?postid=4799913 |

    attribute of N??? Normal, None, No attribute set?

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:%23uiIjfZeFHA.612@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl,
    Bullwinkle. J. Moose <moose.nyc@nospam.verizon.net> hunted and pecked:
    > What's interesting is that the directories have the attribute of N.
    > I've never seen that before and I can't change it or remove it.
    > I've tried cccleaner also with no luck.
    >
    > I have sent the hijackthis file to the site and will hopefully get some
    > input from there .
    >
    > So, still can't delete these files. They have less than 1000 bytes but
    > there are over 60 files now.
    >
    > I will report when I have gotten a response.
    >
    > Thanks for all your help.
    >
    > Regards,
    > Werner.

    >> When you delete Temporary Internet Files via IE Tools > Internet Options
    >> > General > Delete files, accept the option to delete all offline
    >> content. Outlook Express creates a zero-byte file of this type for every
    >> message you open and every time you open it. For heavy OE users these
    >> can really add up over time and bog your system down.
    >> --
    >> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
    >> MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE) & Security
    >>
    >> Bullwinkle. J. Moose wrote:
    >>> I have a large number of temp files in the windows/temp directory. They
    >>> are all zero byte files.
    >>>
    >>> I am unable to delete them. I have run System Mechanic ver. 5 and Norton
    >>> System Works but they will not allow me to delete them. I have tried in
    >>> safe mode as well as in windows XT sp2, Professional. I have a Pentium
    >>> III 1 gig processor and 512 mb ram.
    >>>
    >>> Can you help me on this one.
    >>> All advice appreciated.
    >>>
    >>> Thanks and regards,
    >>> Werner

    It doesn't help. I am unable to delete the attribute "N" or replace it with
    "A". Also when I look at the file in and explorer type program such as
    Norton Navigator the files are not seen at all.

    > attribute of N??? Normal, None, No attribute set?
    >
    > --
    > Hope this helps. Let us know.
    >
    > Wes
    > MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    >
    > In news:%23uiIjfZeFHA.612@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl,
    > Bullwinkle. J. Moose <moose.nyc@nospam.verizon.net> hunted and pecked:
    >> What's interesting is that the directories have the attribute of N.
    >> I've never seen that before and I can't change it or remove it.
    >> I've tried cccleaner also with no luck.
    >>
    >> I have sent the hijackthis file to the site and will hopefully get some
    >> input from there .
    >>
    >> So, still can't delete these files. They have less than 1000 bytes but
    >> there are over 60 files now.
    >>
    >> I will report when I have gotten a response.
    >>
    >> Thanks for all your help.
    >>
    >> Regards,
    >> Werner.
    >>
    >> "PA Bear" <PABearMVP@gmail.com> wrote in message
    >>> When you delete Temporary Internet Files via IE Tools > Internet Options
    >>> content. Outlook Express creates a zero-byte file of this type for every
    >>> message you open and every time you open it. For heavy OE users these
    >>> can really add up over time and bog your system down.
    >>> --
    >>> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
    >>> MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE) & Security

    Try use the DEL command from a MSDOS prompt.

    Use DEL /? if you want info how this command works.

    Regards

    /Kenneth

    "Bullwinkle. J. Moose" Wrote:

    > It doesn't work when I reboot, even to safe mode.

    > > Reboot.
    > >
    > > CA* files in TIF
    > > http://www.fjsmjs.com/OE/CA.htm
    > >
    > > --
    > > Hope this helps. Let us know.
    > >
    > > Wes
    > > MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    > >
    > > In news:%233ttMZVdFHA.1044@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl,
    > > Bullwinkle. J. Moose <moose.nyc@nospam.verizon.net> hunted and pecked:
    > >> I have a large number of temp files in the windows/temp directory. They
    > >> are all zero byte files.
    > >>
    > >> I am unable to delete them. I have run System Mechanic ver. 5 and Norton
    > >> System Works but they will not allow me to delete them. I have tried in
    > >> safe mode as well as in windows XT sp2, Professional. I have a Pentium
    > >> III 1 gig processor and 512 mb ram.
    > >>
    > >> Can you help me on this one.
    > >> All advice appreciated.
    > >>
    > >> Thanks and regards,
    > >> Werner
  14. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    It doesn't work either. But thank for your thoughts.

    <Fake@Fakeland.com> wrote in message news:42C1C1B7.709C6D18@Fakeland.com...
    > Try use the DEL command from a MSDOS prompt.
    >
    > Use DEL /? if you want info how this command works.
    >

    > Regards
    >
    > /Kenneth
    >
    > "Bullwinkle. J. Moose" Wrote:
    >>
    >> It doesn't work when I reboot, even to safe mode.

    >> > Reboot.
    >> >
    >> > CA* files in TIF
    >> > http://www.fjsmjs.com/OE/CA.htm
    >> >
    >> > --
    >> > Hope this helps. Let us know.
    >> >
    >> > Wes
    >> > MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    >> >
    >> > In news:%233ttMZVdFHA.1044@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl,
    >> > Bullwinkle. J. Moose <moose.nyc@nospam.verizon.net> hunted and pecked:

  15. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    I'm finding the attribute "N" on these temp files. What does this
    represent? How do I get rid of it so that I can delete the temp files?

    Regards,

    "Bullwinkle. J. Moose" <moose.nyc@nospam.verizon.net> wrote in message

    > I have a large number of temp files in the windows/temp directory. They
    > are all zero byte files.
    >
    > I am unable to delete them. I have run System Mechanic ver. 5 and Norton
    > System Works but they will not allow me to delete them. I have tried in
    > safe mode as well as in windows XT sp2, Professional. I have a Pentium III
    > 1 gig processor and 512 mb ram.
    >
    > Can you help me on this one.
    > All advice appreciated.
    >
    > Thanks and regards,
    > Werner

  16. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    Werner,

    Where and how are you seeing the N attribute?

    In %windir%\temp folder using Windows Explorer?

    Using attrib in a command prompt?

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:uSX8szSfFHA.1048@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl,
    Bullwinkle. J. Moose <moose.nyc@nospam.verizon.net> hunted and pecked:
    > I'm finding the attribute "N" on these temp files. What does this
    > represent? How do I get rid of it so that I can delete the temp files?
    >
    > Regards,
    >
    > "Bullwinkle. J. Moose" <moose.nyc@nospam.verizon.net> wrote in message
    >>
    >> I have a large number of temp files in the windows/temp directory. They
    >> are all zero byte files.
    >>
    >> I am unable to delete them. I have run System Mechanic ver. 5 and Norton
    >> System Works but they will not allow me to delete them. I have tried in
    >> safe mode as well as in windows XT sp2, Professional. I have a Pentium
    >> III 1 gig processor and 512 mb ram.
    >>
    >> Can you help me on this one.
    >> All advice appreciated.
    >>
    >> Thanks and regards,
    >> Werner
  17. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    This is becoming more odder by the minute.

    I was using Take Command and got the attribute for all these files as "N". I
    am able to delete other temp (tmp) files with the usual commands. But not
    these. I get the continuous response of "Access Denied". Or "This files is
    in use by another program.) although I can't figure out which file is using
    these, some of them going back to January of this year.

    I get the same responses using Norton Navigator's file command. They also
    show up in Windows Explorer. I am trying to use the correct delete command
    in each of these programs to no effect.

    I'm at my wits end having passed half wit a while ago. (g.).

    Regards,

    Werner

    > Werner,
    >
    > Where and how are you seeing the N attribute?
    >
    > In %windir%\temp folder using Windows Explorer?
    >
    > Using attrib in a command prompt?
    >
    > --
    > Hope this helps. Let us know.
    >
    > Wes
    > MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    >
    > In news:uSX8szSfFHA.1048@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl,
    > Bullwinkle. J. Moose <moose.nyc@nospam.verizon.net> hunted and pecked:
    >> I'm finding the attribute "N" on these temp files. What does this
    >> represent? How do I get rid of it so that I can delete the temp files?
    >>
    >> Regards,
    >>
    >> "Bullwinkle. J. Moose" <moose.nyc@nospam.verizon.net> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> I have a large number of temp files in the windows/temp directory. They
    >>> are all zero byte files.
    >>>
    >>> I am unable to delete them. I have run System Mechanic ver. 5 and Norton
    >>> System Works but they will not allow me to delete them. I have tried in
    >>> safe mode as well as in windows XT sp2, Professional. I have a Pentium
    >>> III 1 gig processor and 512 mb ram.
    >>>
    >>> Can you help me on this one.
    >>> All advice appreciated.
    >>>
    >>> Thanks and regards,
    >>> Werner
  18. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    Have you tried booting up in Safe Mode? Safe mode gives a basic, no frills,
    boot by running the minimum possible. If it is one of these that's running
    and blocking then if it isn't it can't!!

    Regards.

    Bill Ridgeway
    Computer Solutions

    > This is becoming more odder by the minute.
    >
    > I was using Take Command and got the attribute for all these files as "N".
    > I am able to delete other temp (tmp) files with the usual commands. But
    > not these. I get the continuous response of "Access Denied". Or "This
    > files is in use by another program.) although I can't figure out which
    > file is using these, some of them going back to January of this year.
    >
    > I get the same responses using Norton Navigator's file command. They also
    > show up in Windows Explorer. I am trying to use the correct delete command
    > in each of these programs to no effect.
    >
    > I'm at my wits end having passed half wit a while ago. (g.).
    >
    > Regards,
    >
    > Werner

    >> Werner,
    >>
    >> Where and how are you seeing the N attribute?
    >>
    >> In %windir%\temp folder using Windows Explorer?
    >>
    >> Using attrib in a command prompt?
    >>
    >> --
    >> Hope this helps. Let us know.
    >>
    >> Wes
    >> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    >>
    >> In news:uSX8szSfFHA.1048@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl,
    >> Bullwinkle. J. Moose <moose.nyc@nospam.verizon.net> hunted and pecked:
    >>> I'm finding the attribute "N" on these temp files. What does this
    >>> represent? How do I get rid of it so that I can delete the temp files?
    >>>
    >>> Regards,
    >>>
    >>> "Bullwinkle. J. Moose" <moose.nyc@nospam.verizon.net> wrote in message

  19. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    You can try the freeware "Who Lock Me?" to find the "in use by another
    program" that is preventing file deletion.
    MI

    "Bullwinkle. J. Moose" <moose.nyc@nospam.verizon.net> wrote in message
    > This is becoming more odder by the minute.
    >
    > I was using Take Command and got the attribute for all these files as "N".
    > I am able to delete other temp (tmp) files with the usual commands. But
    > not these. I get the continuous response of "Access Denied". Or "This
    > files is in use by another program.) although I can't figure out which
    > file is using these, some of them going back to January of this year.
    > Werner
  20. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    In case anyone has had a similar problem, I've found a brute force method of
    removing these files.

    I downloaded from Iolo Technologies a program called "Incinerator" This is a
    program similar to the recycle bin which doesn't work in this instance.

    I am also an owner of ACD 7.0 and using the "move file" option I moved these
    files one by one into the incinerator directory and they vanished.

    I'm writing this message while I am down to 33 directories and files in the
    temp folder.

    It took a while and I thank you all for your help. It turns out that there
    was no spyware/virus/etc causing the problem, simply a bunch of directories
    and files created by Outlook express. So my next "project" is to find a way
    to prevent these directories not to be created.

    As for the "N" attribute I have been unable to locate any explanation for
    this attribute. I even went to the terrible study of the manual both online
    and in (heaven forbid) the manual.

    Again thanks for your help.

    Regards,

    Werner

    > Werner,
    >
    > Where and how are you seeing the N attribute?
    >
    > In %windir%\temp folder using Windows Explorer?
    >
    > Using attrib in a command prompt?
    >
    > --
    > Hope this helps. Let us know.
    >
    > Wes
    > MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    >
    > In news:uSX8szSfFHA.1048@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl,
    > Bullwinkle. J. Moose <moose.nyc@nospam.verizon.net> hunted and pecked:
    >> I'm finding the attribute "N" on these temp files. What does this
    >> represent? How do I get rid of it so that I can delete the temp files?
    >>
    >> Regards,
    >>
    >> "Bullwinkle. J. Moose" <moose.nyc@nospam.verizon.net> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> I have a large number of temp files in the windows/temp directory. They
    >>> are all zero byte files.
    >>>
    >>> I am unable to delete them. I have run System Mechanic ver. 5 and Norton
    >>> System Works but they will not allow me to delete them. I have tried in
    >>> safe mode as well as in windows XT sp2, Professional. I have a Pentium
    >>> III 1 gig processor and 512 mb ram.
    >>>
    >>> Can you help me on this one.
    >>> All advice appreciated.
    >>>
    >>> Thanks and regards,
    >>> Werner
  21. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    Werner,

    N must be something proprietary to Take Command.

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:OuO5aEZfFHA.1444@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl,
    Bullwinkle. J. Moose <moose.nyc@nospam.verizon.net> hunted and pecked:
    > This is becoming more odder by the minute.
    >
    > I was using Take Command and got the attribute for all these files as
    > "N". I am able to delete other temp (tmp) files with the usual commands.
    > But not these. I get the continuous response of "Access Denied". Or "This
    > files is in use by another program.) although I can't figure out which
    > file is using these, some of them going back to January of this year.
    >
    > I get the same responses using Norton Navigator's file command. They also
    > show up in Windows Explorer. I am trying to use the correct delete command
    > in each of these programs to no effect.
    >
    > I'm at my wits end having passed half wit a while ago. (g.).
    >
    > Regards,
    >
    > Werner

    >> Werner,
    >>
    >> Where and how are you seeing the N attribute?
    >>
    >> In %windir%\temp folder using Windows Explorer?
    >>
    >> Using attrib in a command prompt?
    >>
    >> --
    >> Hope this helps. Let us know.
    >>
    >> Wes
    >> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    >>
    >> In news:uSX8szSfFHA.1048@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl,
    >> Bullwinkle. J. Moose <moose.nyc@nospam.verizon.net> hunted and pecked:
    >>> I'm finding the attribute "N" on these temp files. What does this
    >>> represent? How do I get rid of it so that I can delete the temp files?
    >>>
    >>> Regards,
    >>>
    >>> "Bullwinkle. J. Moose" <moose.nyc@nospam.verizon.net> wrote in message

  22. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    Werner,

    Glad to hear that you're getting those folders/files removed.

    C:\Windows\Temp\tmp00005bf7\tmp00000000

    I don't know what is creating the tmp00005bf7 folder in C:\Windows\Temp, but
    it isn't Outlook Express.

    Outlook Express creates files not folders (directories).

    Outlook Express creates a zero byte file for every message read. Plus
    wbk**.tmp files when messages are read. Plus wbk**.tmp files when you Save
    a message that you're working on, every time you hit Save.

    The zero byte files have names like [1] or [14]. The files are created in
    Content.IE5 subfolders.

    Examples...
    %homepath%\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\1EXPNXVB\[14]
    %homepath%\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\GC1GM403\[54]
    %homepath%\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\LJTLPTXJ\[25]
    %homepath%\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\NU1KF7TX\[12]

    The wbk**.tmp files have names like wbk118.tmp or wbkE5.tmp The files are
    created in Content.IE5 subfolders.

    Examples...
    %homepath%\Local Settings\Temporary Internet
    Files\Content.IE5\GC1GM403\wbk118.tmp
    %homepath%\Local Settings\Temporary Internet
    Files\Content.IE5\GC1GM403\wbkC1.tmp
    %homepath%\Local Settings\Temporary Internet
    Files\Content.IE5\GC1GM403\wbkC9.tmp
    %homepath%\Local Settings\Temporary Internet
    Files\Content.IE5\GC1GM403\wbkCF.tmp
    %homepath%\Local Settings\Temporary Internet
    Files\Content.IE5\GC1GM403\wbkDD.tmp
    %homepath%\Local Settings\Temporary Internet
    Files\Content.IE5\GC1GM403\wbkDF.tmp
    %homepath%\Local Settings\Temporary Internet
    Files\Content.IE5\GC1GM403\wbkE5.tmp
    -----

    You could have started in Safe Mode and killed every process in Task Manager
    except:
    explorer.exe
    lasass.exe
    services.exe